News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Post your pictures of defunct US highway shields

Started by bugo, November 26, 2014, 07:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Post your pictures of defunct US highway shields.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

I rented a U-Haul from a place in Winchester, Ky., that had a photo on the wall of a scene in downtown that showed a US 227 route marker. I always wanted to ask them if I could borrow the picture for long enough to scan it, but I didn't. The place has since closed down.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Saw this sign in the late 80s or early 90s, glad it was still there in 2005.
NY 63 at NY 15 / former US 15:

US 104 shield I photographed back in 2000:

Darkchylde

While US 65 does still exist, it no longer exists anywhere near this stretch of road.

cjk374

Quote from: Darkchylde on November 26, 2014, 11:22:14 PM

While US 65 does still exist, it no longer exists anywhere near this stretch of road.

Ferriday/Vidalia, LA...I drove thru there about 3 months ago.  All of the 65 shields had been pulled.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

US 61 in Duluth (the only one I have ever seen, from the Duluth News Tribune sometime in 1980):

I have longed to see some US 61 shields along the North Shore. I have photos of the old rest area sign with a US 61 shield that stood until about 2009 but not on this computer.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Billy F 1988

The remnants of US 10 in Montana. A sad shadow of its former glory now taken over by I-90.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

agentsteel53

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 27, 2014, 12:02:18 AM

wow, where's this?  here's one in Miles City.

there are US-10 shields at the Missoula airport - fairly new-looking, as of 2011.  is that what the first photo shows an example of?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Columbia St. at Alaskan Way Viaduct, Seattle.  sign dates to about 1968.

Las Vegas Strip southbound near the Sahara.  only remaining button copy in Nevada (reverse side has DOWNTOWN and up arrow)

somewhere on the main drag eastbound, Deming.  there is an 85 in Albuquerque but I don't have a photo offhand.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

in the same vein as Jeremy's first photo, an erroneous resurrection.  Litchfield, IL, 2006.

Oregon is notorious for confusing US and state routes.  there are two or three of these in the Rogue River area.

jake@aaroads.com

Billy F 1988

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 28, 2014, 08:24:27 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 27, 2014, 12:02:18 AM

wow, where's this?  here's one in Miles City.

there are US-10 shields at the Missoula airport - fairly new-looking, as of 2011.  is that what the first photo shows an example of?

Answering the US 10 shields question, yes. There's actually three of these on the airport grounds. The one I shot was coming out of the car rental area.

Answering your first question, that came from the Huson area on Nine Mile Road just several hundreds yards past the forked intersection with Remount Road. This was painted on an old Milwaukee Road trestle bridge back when the Milwaukee Road was the big dog in town before Great Northern, Northern Pacific, then Burlington Northern-Santa Fe with Montana Rail Link track usage rights became the primary rail service.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Bruce

The last US 99 shield in Seattle will most likely be demolished by 2020, along with the rest of the Alaskan Way Viaduct.

US 99 shield at 1st & Columbia by SounderBruce, on Flickr

bugo

Dave: Those aren't defunct highways. I'm talking about roads like US 330, US 37, or US 541.

NE2

They're not defunct (US highway) shields, but are defunct (US highway shields).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

You might find some in the Erroneous Road Signs thread (along with US routes that never existed in the first place).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

agentsteel53

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 29, 2014, 02:34:04 PM

Answering your first question, that came from the Huson area on Nine Mile Road just several hundreds yards past the forked intersection with Remount Road. This was painted on an old Milwaukee Road trestle bridge back when the Milwaukee Road was the big dog in town before Great Northern, Northern Pacific, then Burlington Northern-Santa Fe with Montana Rail Link track usage rights became the primary rail service.

point this out for me exactly please?  I've got the general area down

http://goo.gl/maps/lwodO

that said, I'm sure if I drove there, I'd find it within 10 minutes.  I definitely missed it, though, when I scoured US 10 in 2007.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Yeah, I'm not seeing it. 9 Mile/Remount is at the "Historic Ninemile Remount Depot" ("Ninemile Ranger Station" on topos) but that's nowhere near the old CMStP&P. The closest thing I can see is where Ninemile Creek empties into the Clark Fork, but that trestle seems to have been removed (for replacement as part of the trail?).

Billy F 1988

Try this link:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Huson,+Mt/@47.0293126,-114.3935848,149m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x3d32de50a1db0668

Look for a gap in the trestle structure. The right side of the structure was where I snapped the painted US 10 shield.

(Switch the view to satellite to get a better depiction of the bridge structure.)

countysigns

Albeit not gone from the United States, US-25 is gone from Ohio.  This is from the 1960's, corner of Fearing Blvd. (present-day US-24) and Airport Highway (former Wayne Street) (OH-2).

ctsignguy

Quote from: countysigns on December 01, 2014, 07:10:49 PM

Albeit not gone from the United States, US-25 is gone from Ohio.  This is from the 1960's, corner of Fearing Blvd. (present-day US-24) and Airport Highway (former Wayne Street) (OH-2).

* a moment of silence for US 25, which should never have been decommissioned inside Ohio.......*
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Takumi

There have been US 55 shields on VA 55. I don't have any pictures of them, but others do.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Bickendan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 28, 2014, 08:29:20 PM

Oregon is notorious for confusing US and state routes.  there are two or three of these in the Rogue River area.

I don't consider this to be an error...

Billy F 1988

Take a look at what sits at this intersection today compared to this photo. I can't identify what year the photographer snapped this, but by looking at the cars, the Hardee's restaurant, the Chevron station, and this old US 93 gantry, which no longer stands today, this was when US 93 was sent through Stephens Avenue and Orange Street before being shifted to Reserve Street during the extension southward. If anyone can guess the year, that'd be awesome.

Takumi

Looks like it was taken in the late 1980s. The red car in the turn lane next to the US 93 gantry appears to be a 1984-87 Honda CRX, while the car in the right lane under the gantry (with its brake light out) looks like a late 1980s GM product. Maybe a Pontiac, Olds, or Buick, but doesn't look like a Chevrolet.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.