News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Then and Now

Started by Alex, January 23, 2009, 11:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Post before and after photos of a road, highway, interchange, street, etc, showing changes over time. You get the jist.  :biggrin:

Water Street northbound in Mobile, AL in 2003 without the RSA Tower.

Water Street northbound in Mobile, AL in 2006 with the RSA Tower.

Voyager

Oh I like this thread idea!

My favorite comparison:

Interstate 80 coming into San Francisco in 2003:

Much more recently in 2007:

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

SimMoonXP

wow, that is gigantic change in SF california!

Bryant5493

Why are the highway signs orange??  :wow: :wow:

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Voyager

jd2death

interstate 80/294 in 2000

interstate 80/294 in 2005 during upgrade

SimMoonXP

Hi, Could you fix the image of "interstate 80/294 in 2000" because it is showing the red "x" please.

Voyager

Hm, there's nothing wrong with it that I can tell...I'm seeing the red X too though.

Voyager

Instead of reposting the whole thing, try finding a different link for the first one and edit your original post.  ;-)

jd2death

its funny i can see why can't y'all, i even put up another picture?

SimMoonXP

The California's Orange Crush series

Circa 1988

Circa 2007

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

FLRoads

Here are two Interstate 15 trailblazer signs on Vegas Boulevard heading southbound near the intersection with Sahara Avenue:

The trailblazer looks like it was erected fairly recently before this picture was taken. Photo taken 07/23/06.

And now in 2008...

The trailblazer has seen some wear and tear. Photo taken 07/28/08.

I guess what happens to trailblazers in Vegas stays in Vegas... :-D

Truvelo

I don't have any before and after pictures taken in the US but here's one from the UK showing a typical speed limit reduction which is affecting our country badly.

Speed limits limit life

mightyace

Are those lights or video enforcement on those signs?

Also, I assume those speeds are kph.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Truvelo

Those are lights above the signs. They're there for a reason - on lit roads the signs must also be lit otherwise they don't apply. If you're caught speeding at night and the bulb has failed you can claim not to have seen the sign and get the violation revoked.

The speed limits are in MPH, I believe the US and UK are the only countries still using imperial measurements for speed, Ireland switched to kph a few years ago and Canada has been using metric even longer.
Speed limits limit life

mapman

Here's a "Then and Now" near where I grew up -- the CA 1/CA 17 interchange (a.k.a. "The Fishhook") in Santa Cruz, CA.

First, a picture from December 2001 (from westcoastroads.com):

Next, the "Now," taken by me in October 2008 after the 2.5 year widening project at the interchange:

FLRoads

Wow, what 7 years and a little road widening will do...Not only do the signs look different, but so does the landscape. What happened to all those trees??  *shakes head* :no:

Truvelo

The earlier view is nicer :rolleyes:
Speed limits limit life

Alex

Interstate 26 westbound beginning - Pre Ravenel Bridge

Interstate 26 westbound beginning - Post Ravenel Bridge

mapman

Quote from: flaroadgeek on March 05, 2009, 01:35:57 AM
Wow, what 7 years and a little road widening will do...Not only do the signs look different, but so does the landscape. What happened to all those trees??  *shakes head* :no:
Quote from: Truvelo on March 05, 2009, 02:11:30 PM
The earlier view is nicer :rolleyes:

Well, that's what nearly 60 years of tree growth can get you.  This interchange was built in two phases between the 1940's and 1950's.  Caltrans says that it will replace all of the lost trees over the next 3 years at something like a 3:1 ratio.

Alex

Classic button copy sign replaced with bubble shield and 'crammed-in' numbers.  :eyebrow:

Photo by Corco, posted on his SR-16 page.

Ian

I-95 northbound just after entering Maine. First photo by Michael Summa in 1976:

43 years later, a photo my me:

I-395 northbound at exit 10 in Washington, DC. First photo by Alex on June 2nd, 2003:

7 years later, a carbon copied replacement:

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

Ha! They still put the old Amtrak logo on the replacement, just using the new colors

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.