News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alaska Congressman Don Young, RIP

Started by oscar, March 19, 2022, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

https://www.adn.com/politics/2022/03/18/alaska-us-rep-don-young-has-died-according-to-former-aides/

Rep. Young was best known in our circles as one of Congress' leading porkmeisters, tenaciously pursuing among other things earmarked Federal transportation funds for projects in Alaska. He was legendary also for his long service in Congress, having won 25 terms in the House and seeking a 26th term.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

...and getting rebuked by the Ethics Committee.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

He had been in Congress since before my mom was born.  :wow:
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

I can't imagine being so addicted to power that I'd be in politics into my 80s.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

A horrific voting record and unprofessional demeanor on the floor. Hope Alaska can actually choose a decent person to replace him.

Scott5114

Let's not get into voting records, now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

His role as the senior-most member of Congress was taken over by my representative, Hal Rogers, who has a road named for him in southeastern Kentucky. Rogers is running for re-election this year and has given no indications he plans to retire anytime soon, although he has visibly slowed down. I last saw and talked with him in-person a year ago when he was inspecting flood damage in eastern Kentucky, and it was obvious to me that he's in physical decline.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

Whoever replaces him will become only the 5th person to ever represent the state of Alaska in the House of Representatives. 

Roadgeekteen

Why do these 80 some year olds run for reelection? I don't really have anything against it in theory, but don't you just want to retire at that point?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 27, 2022, 05:29:11 PM
Why do these 80 some year olds run for reelection? I don't really have anything against it in theory, but don't you just want to retire at that point?

I wondered the same thing, that's like a hockey player who still wants to play despite then his best years are now behind him.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 27, 2022, 05:29:11 PM

It's a good job that pays well, and there's always some important person that wants to talk to you. You get to feel like you're important too, then. Once they retire all of that goes away and they're just some nobody again. Plus, once they retire, they can't really influence anything anymore and they really don't like that.

hbelkins

It's a power thing. And, I'm guessing that once you reach a certain age, there isn't a whole lot you can fall back on. A younger person can go back to practicing law, or join a think tank, get a contributor gig on a TV news/opinion discussion show, go into business and hype your previous service, etc. I can't remember if Hal Rogers was an attorney or a banker when he got elected to Congress, but I think he had been in radio as well. He certainly has the voice for it.  But as old as he is, I'm not sure what he would do after (if) he retires.

As for not being able to influence things, I think a couple of former presidents might disagree with that, as visible as they are in public discourse.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Congess has a gold-plated retirement plan, so they do have something to "fall back on."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2022, 10:49:19 AM
It's a power thing. And, I'm guessing that once you reach a certain age, there isn't a whole lot you can fall back on. A younger person can go back to practicing law, or join a think tank, get a contributor gig on a TV news/opinion discussion show, go into business and hype your previous service, etc. I can't remember if Hal Rogers was an attorney or a banker when he got elected to Congress, but I think he had been in radio as well. He certainly has the voice for it.  But as old as he is, I'm not sure what he would do after (if) he retires.

As for not being able to influence things, I think a couple of former presidents might disagree with that, as visible as they are in public discourse.
But most 80 year olds don't work. Don't these people have enough money to retire and not work in another job?

roadman65

So that's why FDOT lowered the flag. People at work were asking why flags at half staff.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Apples and oranges–a former president is much more well-known and has way more access to important people than someone who was just 1 of 435. If you needed to get something done in the government, and your only contacts were George W. Bush and J.C. Watts, who would you talk to first?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 28, 2022, 10:55:59 AM
But most 80 year olds don't work. Don't these people have enough money to retire and not work in another job?

Yeah, they usually have enough money they could plausibly retire after they've been working for 10 years. Not only from their actual salary, but from speaking gigs, books, etc.

But it's not about the money. It's about being afraid to give up the power they've amassed as a member of government and a fear they'll be irrelevant and not liking the idea of not being able to have a say in anything after they quit.

Quote from: roadman65 on March 28, 2022, 11:01:04 AM
So that's why FDOT lowered the flag. People at work were asking why flags at half staff.

I assumed it was because of Sec. of State Madeline Albright, who also died recently.

formulanone

It's a power thing. And, I'm guessing that once you reach a certain age, there isn't a whole lot you can fall back on.

Power is probably the biggest reason. Or they have it in their head that everything will suddenly suck if they're not at the helm (after all, you might have to listen about how everything has become better/worse since retirement, and that's not very reassuring).

From talking to a lot of retirees who decided to go back to work, many feel that they need something to do, or they lose their "sharpness", even if it's not really for the money. They hear stories of those who retire and die six months later, and fear that. Others are content to just work on their hobbies...

webny99

I'm not sure if travel counts as a hobby, but how could that not be on the top of the list of things to do when you retire? I get that some people might get bored of that, but I don't think I'd be one of those people.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2022, 02:11:41 PM
I'm not sure if travel counts as a hobby, but how could that not be on the top of the list of things to do when you retire? I get that some people might get bored of that, but I don't think I'd be one of those people.
Travel is great but this forum probably has many more travel fans than the average population does.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 28, 2022, 02:41:32 PM
Travel is great but this forum probably has many more travel fans than the average population does.

Some people get into the "where can travel take me but away from here" mindset when they find a place they actually enjoy living.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 28, 2022, 02:44:54 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 28, 2022, 02:41:32 PM

Some people get into the "where can travel take me but away from here" mindset when they find a place they actually enjoy living.

That does seem to be the case, but I can't imagine myself being one of those people. For me, travel is living. Never going anywhere gets boring after a while no matter how much of a utopia it is.

Scott5114

Some people may not have the resources to travel, especially if all they have as income is social security. And for many people, at a certain age, travel becomes too physically demanding, or at the very least, too demanding to be enjoyable (did I pack all my meds, is the bus going to be accessible, is there going to be ready access to a bathroom, am I going to be able to hear and understand the instructions of flight attendants/customs officials, can I see well enough to drive a car, etc. etc.)

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 28, 2022, 03:09:44 PM
Some people may not have the resources to travel, especially if all they have as income is social security. And for many people, at a certain age, travel becomes too physically demanding, or at the very least, too demanding to be enjoyable (did I pack all my meds, is the bus going to be accessible, is there going to be ready access to a bathroom, am I going to be able to hear and understand the instructions of flight attendants/customs officials, can I see well enough to drive a car, etc. etc.)

Absolutely. Staying fit and healthy is probably the #1 priority if you want to be able to travel in retirement, and even then, you probably can't expect to do so regularly for more than about 5-10 years at most (assuming you retire at 65). Thankfully I am still many years away from having to think about this stuff, lol.

Roadgeekteen

Some people may not have the resources to travel, especially if all they have as income is social security.
Any 40-year congressman would not be part of the category

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 28, 2022, 05:20:51 PM
Some people may not have the resources to travel, especially if all they have as income is social security.
Any 40-year congressman would not be part of the category

What makes you think 40-year Congressmen don't travel while being sitting Congressmen? Hell, they get to travel and have the government pay for it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.