News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities/towns that's lost their charm

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, April 12, 2022, 10:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

Simple question: What towns or cities or locales have lost their charm, or just don't seem as fun or interesting as they used to be?
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

JayhawkCO

SkyPesos

NWI_Irish96

In Indiana, Madison used to be a travel destination. The regatta is still there but isn't as big as it used to be. The town itself has become run down. An alarming number of businesses have "stars and bars" in the windows, and there were even rumors of a Klan rally.

Monticello is another place that's gone downhill. Indiana Beach is struggling to stay open and the lake properties don't have the demand they used to.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

MikieTimT

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 12, 2022, 10:28:03 AM
Orlando. I grew up.

I'll second this, when I was a kid Orlando was awesome because of the parks.  Having lived in Orlando as an adult I found the tourism incredibly annoying.  I did like downtown but there wasn't really a ton in the normal parts of Orlando that made it stand out. 

elsmere241

Nashville.  It was the first place I really remembered as a kid, and so I made the most of it.  I went back a few years ago and it just seemed drab.  Everything was so spread out, too, and the roads were slow.

Flint1979

I agree with Orlando. I'd rather be near the water in Florida.

kphoger

I've never been to Florida at all, but I've heard Orlando has over-eager police.  Confirm or deny?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2022, 11:11:43 AM
I've never been to Florida at all, but I've heard Orlando has over-eager police.  Confirm or deny?

Really, that's applicable for anywhere in Florida. Especially 301 between Gainesville & Jacksonville
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2022, 11:11:43 AM

I didn't find them (OPD) to be any more or less aggressive than other cities I've lived in.  FHP was actually pretty aggressive with traffic enforcement on some of the urban State Roads line Semoran Boulevard (FL 436).

kphoger

I wasn't necessarily referring to traffic enforcement.  Just policing in general.

Again, though, it was secondhand.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Gatlinburg. I haven't been in 20 years, but from what I've heard, it has really changed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Reston, Virginia.  I was never a fan of Reston's governance (mega-HOA) but it was the one place in the Washington metro area that had a rustic feel in the middle of the forest.  The rest of Fairfax County suburbs were built out in the cow pastures.  But nowadays, the contrast is much less noticeable.  Plus, the Reston Town Center now looks and feels like a miniature Tysons Corner. 

abefroman329

NYC - we were there about five years ago for about eight hours, flying into LaGuardia to catch Queen Mary 2 from the Brooklyn cruise terminal, and that was more than enough time.

kevinb1994

Orlando. The theme parks are for the kids, and then there's just not much else in the area.

thspfc

A lot of previously independent towns that became suburbs. Franklin, TN and Grapevine, TX come to mind.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: hbelkins on April 12, 2022, 11:34:17 AM
Gatlinburg. I haven't been in 20 years, but from what I've heard, it has really changed.
How has it changed?  I was there about 15-20 years ago as well as back in the late 80s, and I remember lots and lots of traffic and commercial development then.

triplemultiplex

Seeing a lot of examples where people are comparing a place now to the way it was when they were a kid.  That isn't quite and apples to apples comparison, though, since when you're a kid, your world is small and your experience with things like tourist traps is far more siloed than when you hit up those places as a grown up with years of accumulated annoyances and the ability to see them in a wider context.

I think about my own life and how it was a rare and fun treat to go somewhere like Wisconsin Dells.  It was a cool place with things you couldn't do just down the road from where you lived.  But I go there as an adult and I roll my eyes at all of the tackiness and ugly, fake-rustic condos.  Just look at all these damn cars trying to turn left in/out of a road with four lanes and zero turn lanes!

That being said, I think there is a genuine charm that has been lost regarding the Dells with the rise of all of these indoor waterparks springing up all over the place.  A waterpark used to be kind of a rare amenity; the type of thing one had to drive hours to get to.  And being all outdoors, the time window when you could go to one was limited, making it even more special.  Now you can find water slides at chain hotels sometimes.  And they can build these giant indoor waterparks anywhere there are enough people, so it's not about a special road trip to Wisconsin Dells or New Braunfels or whatever.

The outside waterpark will still have its appeal because they can be larger and have more features, but the ubiquity of things like water slides and wave pools at indoor waterparks makes it a little less special in my mind.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

There is far more charm at The Dells than the money grab that is Orlando.

Bruce

Leavenworth, WA is way too overcrowded (especially in winter) and has lost some of its corny vibes that made it fun to visit. They've even moved Oktoberfest downriver to Wenatchee because the new residents complain about public drinking after moving to a town known for it.

M3100

While driving through Sterling, Alaska, on AK SR 1 on the Kenai Peninsula, Sterling looked like a "used to be" place.  Soldotna, about 10 miles west, was more appealing (and more congested).

Scott5114

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on April 12, 2022, 10:27:25 AM
Simple question: What towns or cities or locales have lost their charm, or just don't seem as fun or interesting as they used to be?

The United States.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

I will say the Los Angeles/SOCAL area in general.

The first few times I visited, beginning in the 80s, were magical (hitting all the touristy areas) it was easy and cheap to get around...

...but now, with some of the highest gas prices in the country,  the out of control admission prices at tmany atteactions (Over $100 for one person just to enter a Disney property), and the overall deteriorating appearance of the area (increasing graffiti, homeless camps and barbed wire and shields around overhead BGSs to name a few), I just have no interest to spend any time there anymore.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 12, 2022, 12:32:22 PM
Orlando. The theme parks are for the kids, and then there's just not much else in the area.

In general I feel there's not really much for an adult to do anywhere if they don't drink, especially at night when any museums or such have closed for the day.

I don't drink. I like restaurants, but I can only eat one place at a time, and it takes a few hours before I can try the next one. I can go to a cool park, but after a little bit, what do I do now?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.