Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

District of Columbia

<< < (278/278)

Ted$8roadFan:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2022, 07:39:42 AM ---I drove into DC for a concert at the Anthem last night and I can confirm that the I-395/I-695 signs are still as they were and also, somehow, the ancient sign for 12th Street on the ramp from I-395 to the tunnel somehow remains in place despite all the other sign replacements and despite having lost most of its green surface.

I parked at L'Enfant Plaza because itís around $15 cheaper than parking at the Wharf. Aside from the last part of the walk back (down under the L'Enfant Promenade) being a little creepy at 11:20 at night, it was a good place to park and an easy walk. As a bonus, parking there let me see these two old favorites that remain in place (with the now very rare "District of Columbia" in the shields, too). Iíve always wondered why some old signs use hyphens for the street name. I wonder whether itís just to provide a visual separator for the single letter. My grandparents lived on a numbered street in Brooklyn and they wrote their address like that with a hyphen to separate the house number from the street name.

--- End quote ---

I would be temptedÖÖ.

FLAVORTOWN:
Are they ever going to decommission 695? Whats the hold up

The Ghostbuster:
Maybe the DC Interstate redesignation plan will wait until the signs along Interstate 395 and Interstate 695 need to be replaced. Personally, I think the 395-to-195 and the 695-to 395 proposal should be abandoned. After all, 395 has existed since 95-through-Washington DC was canceled in 1977, and 695 has existed since 1958 (although it wasnít signposted until 2011).

elsmere241:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2022, 07:39:42 AM ---I drove into DC for a concert at the Anthem last night and I can confirm that the I-395/I-695 signs are still as they were and also, somehow, the ancient sign for 12th Street on the ramp from I-395 to the tunnel somehow remains in place despite all the other sign replacements and despite having lost most of its green surface.

I parked at L'Enfant Plaza because itís around $15 cheaper than parking at the Wharf. Aside from the last part of the walk back (down under the L'Enfant Promenade) being a little creepy at 11:20 at night, it was a good place to park and an easy walk. As a bonus, parking there let me see these two old favorites that remain in place (with the now very rare "District of Columbia" in the shields, too). Iíve always wondered why some old signs use hyphens for the street name. I wonder whether itís just to provide a visual separator for the single letter. My grandparents lived on a numbered street in Brooklyn and they wrote their address like that with a hyphen to separate the house number from the street name.

--- End quote ---

I've seen those signs three times: in 1981, 1992, and 2003.  I remember in 1981 we were headed to Arlington and my father turned left there, leading us through a big maze until he stopped and asked for directions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version