News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 11, 2023, 05:05:07 PM
I'm 23, but please tell me how if I was a part time cashier right now, how that would help validate my points? It's one thing to be proud of working your butt off to find a cure for some disease that ends up helping people or contributing to society, but having a job is just for your own survival, so I don't understand where all the pride points from having a job come from. Anyone can get one. I am simply choosing to take my sweet time looking for one. And for everyone's info, my degree is is Psychology, with a minor in Neuroscience which took me 5 years instead of 4, so I have every right to take it easy, especially considering I have some mental health issues myself, and with all the extra stress related to online class bullshit for 2 years instead of normalcy. You think the "Great Resignation" was caused by just laziness?
It's because you have almost no real world experence. You don't know what's it's like to hold a job and have to support yourself, so people won't ake some of your big societal opinions as seriously.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 11, 2023, 05:04:10 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 11, 2023, 05:01:54 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 11, 2023, 05:01:03 PM
Are all of us allowed to create our own versions of this thread? I really want to create "The universe according to RGT"
No.
I noticed that MMM did not create this thread. I could create a thread "The universe according to Rothman!"

I won't

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 11, 2023, 05:02:54 PM
Are all of us allowed to create our own versions of this thread? I really want to create "The universe according to RGT"

Only if you want everyone to think you're incredibly lame and make fun of you.
I'm convinced that many people already think that of me honestly. I'm not down there in the dumps in terms of respect, but I'm not exactly up there.

I didn't start the first MMM in 1 thread either. In fact, the same user started most threads that start with a quote of some comment I made, so, I get a good laugh when those threads keep getting locked, and everyone thinks I started them. In fact, I didn't even post in some of them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 11, 2023, 05:09:54 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 11, 2023, 05:04:10 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 11, 2023, 05:01:54 PM
No.
I noticed that MMM did not create this thread. I could create a thread "The universe according to Rothman!"

I won't

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 11, 2023, 05:02:54 PM

Only if you want everyone to think you're incredibly lame and make fun of you.
I'm convinced that many people already think that of me honestly. I'm not down there in the dumps in terms of respect, but I'm not exactly up there.

I didn't start the first MMM in 1 thread either. In fact, the same user started most threads that start with a quote of some comment I made, so, I get a good laugh when those threads keep getting locked, and everyone thinks I started them. In fact, I didn't even post in some of them.
Well you keep commenting on these threads and using them for your own ideas, so you clearly have interest in them. If you never post in them, they will all die out eventually.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on February 11, 2023, 04:38:11 PM
And given that he described high school as harder than college

I found that my first year of college wasn't that different from high school, except I had time between classes. I got a degree in civil engineering, although the first year of college is designed that they're classes pretty much everyone takes.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kalvado

I'm 23, but please tell me how if I was a part time cashier right now, how that would help validate my points? It's one thing to be proud of working your butt off to find a cure for some disease that ends up helping people or contributing to society, but having a job is just for your own survival, so I don't understand where all the pride points from having a job come from. Anyone can get one. I am simply choosing to take my sweet time looking for one. And for everyone's info, my degree is is Psychology, with a minor in Neuroscience which took me 5 years instead of 4, so I have every right to take it easy, especially considering I have some mental health issues myself, and with all the extra stress related to online class bullshit for 2 years instead of normalcy. You think the "Great Resignation" was caused by just laziness?
If you want to actually work on a cure for some disease, you better start doing that while in college. Undergrads actually work in the lab mostly to get that experience. Then you would move further, to either company or grad school - and would know about your plans a few months before graduation. Litied leisure opportunities as you want to stay sharp and in the loop.
Now for you... I wonder if you can get a part-time cashier job as you stand right now. Handling cash is a task that requires certain standing, and a gap in employment/education is a red flag...

kkt

Holding even a nothing job like a cashier shows that you're willing to show up, on time, and do some work.  Cashiers also have to be paying enough attention to make change and keep their drawer correct.  When I was hiring undergrads, I didn't immediately redlight people with no job experience at all, but it was a strike against them.  Yes, it's easy to get a job like that, but if they're not satisfactory they won't last more than six months or so.

MultiMillionMiler

"It's because you have almost no real world experence. You don't know what's it's like to hold a job and have to support yourself, so people won't ake some of your big societal opinions as seriously."

I think the issue is that people are so conditioned into thinking working 10 hours a day half your life just to barely make a living is normal, that they think anything less is spoiled and entitled. A society without money at all is ideal. But if I still lived at home even with a job, how is that "real world experience"? Why is totally supporting yourself when you can still save money even with a job, considered so ideal? My home life isn't toxic or anything, so I am in no rush (although I don't like NY for other reasons)

Here's my reasons I think college is easier than HS:

1. Far less workload, you maybe have 2 papers and 3 exams per class, usually only one of the two, not both, and 4-5 courses (18 credits) maximum per semester. High school is up to 7 classes a year, with dozens of HW, up to 15 exams per subject, projects, regents...etc

2. In college passing is 60, high school is 65-70

3. Normal Adult freedoms in college vs the prison environment of high school

4. No trouble keeping up with college workload

5. Can major in something you are interested in

6. Professors act more human.

7. Campuses are nicer

8. Far more resources for students than in any grade school.

hotdogPi

When I went to college, prerequisites were only satisfied with a 70 or above, even if a 60 was a D.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

I'm 23, but please tell me how if I was a part time cashier right now, how that would help validate my points?

Speaking as someone who was a part time cashier for 6 years (and making $40k/year doing so): It would mean you'd have a lot more experience with what the average person is like, for one. It also means you tend to be a lot kinder and more patient with service employees because you know the sort of shit they go through.

I respect people less who haven't worked customer service jobs because they don't really know what the people in this world are actually like.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

Quote from: vdeane on February 11, 2023, 04:38:11 PM
We are currently a house divided against itself, and unless something radically changes, we will cease to be divided by one side imposing their worldview by force on the other.  Exposing everyone to both urban and rural environments and the people within them would go a long way to healing our divisions.
The fall of America has been 20 years away for 250 years.

Max Rockatansky

College was easier than high school for me due to these primary reasons:

1.  I was paying my own tuition and I didn't want to waste my money.
2.  My courses pertained to a career field I was already invested in.

thspfc

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 11, 2023, 05:24:10 PM
A society without money at all is ideal.
We've gone from edgy ideas to completely nuts ideas.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on February 11, 2023, 05:47:30 PM
Who knows? Maybe MMM is a communist. I know some communists.

hotdogPi

I've thought of a community 4 miles off the coast of Gloucester MA (so not subject to any state law), and it would have worked this way. I realized my idea of a society without money already existed, and Wikipedia calls it anarcho-communism. It's definitely an existing idea, but it hasn't been implemented anywhere, and I'm not sure if it would work.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Max Rockatansky

He's like co-opting that idea also from Star Trek.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 11, 2023, 05:48:20 PM
Who knows? Maybe MMM is a communist. I know some communists.

MultiMillionMiler

The whole reason for money is:

Unlimited Wants; Limited Resources

If we can fix the 2nd part of that statement, such as by developing nuclear power, or matter replicators like on Star Trek, resources will less limited and less of a need for any kind of barter system.

People on here saying lack of experience is a red flag...maybe going to college accounts for that gap?? So unless someone worked every single nook and cranny in between their education periods, that's a strike against them? Pfft, the bar is set too high these days, no one should have to do both. Oh and I took summer classes, so I could take a course or 2 less a semester and do better. So where is this gap everyone is talking about? You can't prefer people with college degrees and then criticize lack of work experience because they had to spend their time getting that degree. And the jobs I am thinking of probably wouldn't be that picky anyway. There is a huge trucker shortage and most driving jobs I have browsed are "urgently hiring".

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on February 11, 2023, 05:50:24 PM

I've thought of a community 4 miles off the coast of Gloucester MA (so not subject to any state law), and it would have worked this way. I realized my idea of a society without money already existed, and Wikipedia calls it anarcho-communism. It's definitely an existing idea, but it hasn't been implemented anywhere, and I'm not sure if it would work.
There was a pretty interesting movement called "free state project". Plan was to have enough people sharing certain ideals to move in a low population state (NH was one of the options) and take over the political landscape. It was crazy, but not completely unthinkable...
Actually, wiki says they are still running low gear:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Project

kalvado

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 11, 2023, 05:58:45 PM

If we can fix the 2nd part of that statement, such as by developing nuclear power, or matter replicators like on Star Trek, resources will less limited and less of a need for any kind of barter system.

People on here saying lack of experience is a red flag...maybe going to college accounts for that gap?? So unless someone worked every single nook and cranny in between their education periods, that's a strike against them? Pfft, the bar is set too high these days, no one should have to do both. Oh and I took summer classes, so I could take a course or 2 less a semester and do better. So where is this gap everyone is talking about? You can't prefer people with college degrees and then criticize lack of work experience because they had to spend their time getting that degree. And the jobs I am thinking of probably wouldn't be that picky anyway. There is a huge trucker shortage and most driving jobs I have browsed are "urgently hiring".
I believe you already graduated. When was that? May 2022?

MultiMillionMiler

June 2022, so less than 1 year ago.

kalvado

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 11, 2023, 06:02:59 PM
June 2022, so less than 1 year ago.
More than 6 months ago. And didn't work during the period of high demand for workforce....

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 11, 2023, 05:58:45 PM

Given you just graduated that job gap wouldn't be a huge issue if you entered the workforce now.  The longer you wait to enter the workforce post college the bigger an issue it will become.  Holding out for non-entry level because you have a degree rarely works out for anyone.

Star Trek is fiction, the notion people en masse would work for the sake of bettering themselves is naive.   

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on February 11, 2023, 06:07:40 PM
More than 6 months ago. And didn't work during the period of high demand for workforce....

To be fair, I didn't really do a whole lot of work during that timeframe either. But I have an LLC that was active during that time, and I'm on state records as the managing partner of it, so that covers the gap where I just dorked around on the forum for a year.

The U.S. employment system is way more reliant on the honor system than anyone cares to admit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 11, 2023, 06:12:31 PM
Quote from: kalvado on February 11, 2023, 06:07:40 PM

To be fair, I didn't really do a whole lot of work during that timeframe either. But I have an LLC that was active during that time, and I'm on state records as the managing partner of it, so that covers the gap where I just dorked around on the forum for a year.

The U.S. employment system is way more reliant on the honor system than anyone cares to admit.
It really depends on who where and what. Background checks do happen, but probably not for entry-level positions. I heard a story of a checker company verifying 20-year-old diploma earned in a college overseas by calling dean's office - and that wasn't unusual for either side.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 11, 2023, 06:19:26 PM
I'm fine with entry level. Most driving jobs by definition are entry level. But I don't think someone saying they just took a gap year to relax *which isn't even accurate as I have been looking and did attempt an application back in late July last year which didn't work out* but seriously unless you're a convicted criminal or are like 40 with no college degree/no work experience, I don't see why they would care so much. And anyone can make up that they were self-employed or worked for some private business that doesn't exist anymore, so it's not like those facts are even guaranteed to screen out a good candidate.

You said in a previous post you were looking for 6 figures. Not entry level money. And trucking companies are hiring, so...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.