News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on April 12, 2023, 08:50:50 AM
Quote from: ET21 on April 11, 2023, 10:08:51 AM
Best playoffs in sports begins in just over a week  :D :D :D

Not when the Capitals aren't in it.
That is EXACTLY what makes the playoffs great.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alps on April 13, 2023, 07:19:54 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on April 12, 2023, 08:50:50 AM
Quote from: ET21 on April 11, 2023, 10:08:51 AM
Best playoffs in sports begins in just over a week  :D :D :D

Not when the Capitals aren't in it.
That is EXACTLY what makes the playoffs great.

And no Crosby either, here some Wikipedia trivia about this year playoffs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Stanley_Cup_playoffs

QuoteThe Boston Bruins made the playoffs as the Presidents' Trophy winners with the most points (i.e. best record) during the regular season. The Pittsburgh Penguins failed to make the playoffs for the first time since the 2005—06 NHL season, ending the NHL's longest active playoff streak at sixteen consecutive seasons.[2] The longest active streak moved to the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs at seven consecutive seasons after the Nashville Predators and Washington Capitals also had their eight season playoff streaks end.[3] As a result, this is the first time since 1976 that the longest active playoff streak was less than ten consecutive seasons. The Seattle Kraken became the second fastest NHL expansion team since 1991 to qualify for the playoffs, after Vegas, and the first to clinch their inaugural playoff appearance in their second season in the league since the Quebec Nordiques in 1981.[4][5] The Kraken also became the first NHL exclusive expansion team to make their first playoff appearance in their second season since the Atlanta Flames in 1974.[5] All three New York metropolitan area teams (the Devils, Islanders and Rangers) made the playoffs in the same year for the first time since 2007.[6] For the first time since 1990, both Pennsylvania-based teams (the Flyers and Penguins) missed the playoffs in the same season.

kurumi

In college hockey, the Quinnipiac Bobcats (Hamden, CT) won their first championship, 10 seconds into overtime, in their third trip to the Frozen Four:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLvvBBjMSlg

It was a tough fight against a very good Minnesota team that led for most of the game and never trailed.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Henry

With the Hawks dead last in their division, I'm going to switch my allegiance to the Kraken during the upcoming playoffs. Here's hoping they make it to the finals, or at least get close to it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

Kracken are def a dark horse for the West, I really like how that team evolved this season.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

Question about scheduling: Both the NHL and the NBA have playoff dates and times scheduled well in advance and stadiums determined by team performance. What happens if TD Garden or Madison Square Garden is scheduled to have both sports playing home games at the same time?

In my dream last night, I was watching on TV the final game of the NHL playoffs between Iowa and South Carolina (these were professional teams, not "University of"), having joined in the middle of the game. I was rooting for Iowa. South Carolina scored, immediately ending the game in a tie (don't ask), forcing another best-of-however-many series (not just another game) that would take several days to determine an overall winner.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on April 28, 2023, 09:23:24 AM
Question about scheduling: Both the NHL and the NBA have playoff dates and times scheduled well in advance and stadiums determined by team performance. What happens if TD Garden or Madison Square Garden is scheduled to have both sports playing home games at the same time?

In my dream last night, I was watching on TV the final game of the NHL playoffs between Iowa and South Carolina (these were professional teams, not "University of"), having joined in the middle of the game. I was rooting for Iowa. South Carolina scored, immediately ending the game in a tie (don't ask), forcing another best-of-however-many series (not just another game) that would take several days to determine an overall winner.

I don't know how they work out the early rounds, but I believe that during the conference championship round, one league has the East playing on the same day as the other has the West, and vice versa. That way only Chicago ends up at risk of having both at home the same day.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SectorZ

I feel like the Bruins tonight are going to end that series in the most Bruins way possible.

What's the equivalent of the Patriots' 16-0 banner from 2008? I presume something similar will be hanging in the North End of Boston this autumn.

Hunty2022

Bruins are eliminated in game 7 of round one, after the best season in NHL history.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Roadgeekteen

What the fuck Bruins
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jp the roadgeek

Holy choke job.  This is worse than 2010 and being up 3-0 on Philly.  65 wins and golfing by May 1st.  The 86 and 03 Red Sox and the 07 Pats are off the hook.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Ted$8roadFan

Sigh. What a way to end a historic season, Bruins.

Katavia

The Bruins have been blowing it for almost 15 years now, haven't they?
Even their 2011 championship only seemed to come together because Vancouver out-choked them.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

JayhawkCO

Sad that the Avs got knocked out, but my happiness for the Bruins losing overrides that. I've met hundreds of professional athletes. Brad Marchand is easily the biggest jerk I've ever met.

ET21

Clinched:

Stephane Dumas

Toronto won against Tampa Bay and the Kings was beaten by the Oilers.

Henry

Really, it's true across all of pro sports that just having the best regular-season record of all time will not amount to a championship. This season's Bruins have joined the 2015-16 Warriors, 2007 Patriots and 2001 Mariners as being the absolute best in their respective leagues during the regular season, only to come up agonizingly short in the postseason.

OAN, yay for the Kraken advancing to the second round of the playoffs!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bruce

Kraken win 5-4 in overtime a few days after the Sounders won 5-4 in overtime. I know the TV writers are on strike, but have we really sunk this low?  :sombrero:

Henry

Quote from: Bruce on May 03, 2023, 01:19:51 AM
Kraken win 5-4 in overtime a few days after the Sounders won 5-4 in overtime. I know the TV writers are on strike, but have we really sunk this low?  :sombrero:
Hey, sports can't be scripted! However, I find this to be a funny coincidence.

Stephane Dumas

Some wondered if the Presidents' trophy have some sort of curse after the Bruins was kicked out of the playoffs.
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/presidents-trophy-curse-continues-with-boston-bruins-stunning-collapse-1.1954607

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCngHTHlotg

epzik8

I've been thinking so since the Capitals lost in 2010.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ET21

#1 pick belongs to the Hawks  :-D

Clinched:

Stephane Dumas

Well, the Leafs have to wait again for the Cup.

Henry

The drought continues, as it's now guaranteed that no Canadian team will hoist the Stanley Cup for the 30th year in a row. Is this a record?

Ted$8roadFan

The fact that no Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since 1993 while Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Los Angeles have won is amazing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.