News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Congested freeways

Started by Voyager, March 21, 2009, 02:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

TheStranger

I-405 in the Los Angeles area, obviously

US 101 between I-280 and I-80 in SF, and I-80 from US 101 to Albany

Business 80 between Route 99 and the Marconi Curve in Sacramento
Chris Sampang

mapman

US 101 in San Jose, between I-280/I-680 and Capitol Expressway

I-580 from I-238 in Hayward to I-205 near Tracy, CA

Chris

A lot of expressways/parkways in the New York area. But they also create congestion with the toll plazas.

I-95, I-278, I-495 and FDR Drive come to mind. I've looked up the traffic volumes of them, they mostly aren't exceptionally high for the number of lanes, so I guess it's mostly the 1930's alignment and offramp capacity...

SSOWorld

I-94 near Miller Park in Milwaukee
The Madison beltline highway
The interstates approaching the Circle Interchange in Chicago (downtown)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

njroadhorse

Practically every freeway in NJ
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

yanksfan6129

I-95 in the Bronx: The Cross Bronx Expressway

Congested at almost every hour of the day!  :no:

Revive 755

SB I-270 in Missouri, from 3pm to 6pm every non-holiday weekday, from US 40 to I-44, even before US 40 was closed for construction.  A few days it seem to start getting bad around 2:30.

The PSB and the associated approaches in St. Louis, thanks to too many trucks and  too many 20mph, one-lane ramps.  Then having something out for construction every year doesn't help either.

For Omaha, NB I-680 during the evening rush just north of I-80 seems to stop.  I-80 is generally just heavy through Omaha with some backed up ramps.  The exception is the Missouri River Bridge, which has some stopped traffic.

Ian

> I-91 in the Hartford area
> I-84 in Hartford
> I-476/ Mid-County Exp. (Plymouth Meeting to Chester)
> I-95 (Chester-Philadelphia, PA)
> I-76/Schuykill Exp. (King of Prussia, PA to Bellmawr, NJ)
> US 202 in King of Prussia
> I-95 in New Hampshire gets REALLY crowded in the summer time aswell as in southern Maine
> I-87/I-287 multiplex from Suffern, NY to Elmsford, NY gets crowded a lot
> sections of CT 15 (Merritt Pkwy/Wilbur Cross Pkwy/Berlin Tpke) get congested
> The NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE  :banghead: :banghead: gets crowded all the time on all sections (LITERALLY)
> I-287 in New Jersey gets crowded a lot
> I-95 in DELAWARE!!!!!!!!!  :banghead: :banghead:  OMG that gets crowded all the time especially at the "megachange" (I-95/I-495/I-295/US 202/DE 141)
> PA 100 in Exton and Downingtown-Drivers are terrible and drive slow. They obviosly don't know how to drive  :banghead:
> The Massachusetts Turnpike/I-90 gets crowded a whole lot. If you get stuck on the Mass Pike, your  :ded:, you'll be in traffic forever!
> Any metro Philadelphia, PA and Camden/Cherry Hill, NJ road is always crowded, no matter what time.
> I-87 gets really crowded in the Albany/Saratoga Springs/Glen Falls area
> I-90 in the Albany area
> I-787
> Along with the Mass Pike, if you get stuck anywhere in the NY Thruway, your  :ded:
> I-890 in Schenectady, NY
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

74/171FAN

Every freeway in Northern Virginia east of VA 28 and US 29 and north of US 17
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Southern Illinois SKYWARN

Lloyd Expressway in Evansville, IN (SR 66 and SR 62)  Evansville is a city of 120,000, but the Lloyd is congested at all hours.  I-64 @ I-264 on the east side of Louisville, KY.  New Circle Road (SR 4) and every road on the south side of Lexington, KY.

ComputerGuy

74/171FAN

Quotefrom Froggie: Quote
Every freeway in Northern Virginia east of VA 28 and US 29 and north of US 17

I've never seen jams on VA 110 or VA 27...;o)
Me neither but I've only been on either once if at all.  Actually I didn't even think of those or the US 50 Arlington Blvd Freeway(I think it's a freeway).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Scott5114

I... can't... think of any.

You guys must hate me for that  :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Chris

Is there an official definition for a "traffic jam" in the United States?

In the Netherlands, it's a traffic jam when traffic speed drop below 30 mph for at least 1.5 miles in a row.

Alex

Trying to cover ones not already mentioned where I have dealt with monumental congestion before:

Interstate 275 including the Howard Frankland Bridge and the east-west portion through Tampa.
Interstate 4 from Lee Road northward to Lake Mary Boulevard in Seminole County.
Interstate 10 from the merge with Interstate 610 to Causeway Boulevard in the NOLA area.
Interstate 75 leading northwest from Atlanta.
Interstate 85 leading northeast from Atlanta.
Interstate 77 leading north from Charlotte.
Interstate 93 throughout the Boston area.
Interstate 10 from the East L.A. interchange to San Bernardino
Interstate 15 through Ontario
Interstate 5 through Norwalk (only six lanes!).
U.S. 101 / Ventura Freeway and the Downtown Slot in L.A.
California 91 / Riverside Freeway east from Anaheim.
Interstate 5 from Encinitas to Carlsbad
U.S. 75 / Central Expressway through the Dallas area
Dan Ryan in Chicago
Kennedy Expressway in Chicago

Chris

QuoteInterstate 5 through Norwalk (only six lanes!).

Isn't that one being widened at the moment?

Alex

QuoteIsn't that one being widened at the moment?

The city has always balked at any expansion of the freeway, but after reading Andy's page updates, I see that expansion is planned. Anyone have any details?
Quoting Andy's work on westcoastroads:

...Norwalk is a place of great freeway controversy, first because they were instrumental in ensuring that Interstate 105, the Century Freeway, would not continue very far east of Interstate 605 (San Gabriel River freeway). As such, the usefulness of Interstate 105 as a route to Los Angeles International Airport from Interstate 5 as an alternative to Interstate 405 is compromised, unless motorists use California 91 and Interstate 605 or passes through Norwalk, perhaps via former California 42 (Firestone Boulevard). In addition to its role in Interstate 105, Norwalk also had concerns with the original plans for the expansion of Interstate 5, saying it did not want its businesses and homes to be affected by the increased need for right of way. A compromise has since been reached, and Caltrans is already designing the replacement Interstate 5 freeway.

deathtopumpkins

Surprisingly no one has mentioned any around here... I-64 is almost always backed up at the HRBT, usually for 5+ miles. And I-564 I've seen get pretty bad at rush hour, same with the MLK Freeway at the Midtown Tunnel. I-264 not so much, same with 664.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

deathtopumpkins

I've seen big traffic jams from the Terminal Blvd. exit on 564, and heard about many more from traffic reports.
As for the Downtown Tunnel/Berkeley Bridge mess, it never gets backed up that bad that I've seen. I've been stuck in traffic, but I usually get through after just a minute, unless it's due to like a bridge opening or something.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

CMHroads

I-270 (Northwest, East, North Sections) in Columbus.
I-70/I-71 Overlap.  I-670 East (evening), I-670 West (Morning).  SR 315, I-71.  Well, just about all the freeways in Columbus.

un1

Highway 401, 400, 403, 404, 427 and QEW in Ontario are congested almost everyday.

Not talking about freeways but Thunder Bay's Red River Road between Junot Ave and the Thunder Bay Expressway is horrible, there is almost always some sort of traffic jam there.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Voyager

US 101 at San Pedro Road in San Rafael. For some reason it always backs up there just over the hill and then traffic starts going again after that.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

SSOWorld

Poplar Street Bridge in St Louis
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ComputerGuy

WA-520 over Lake Washington...its a nightmare :ded:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.