News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 02:43:57 PM

Someone who's better at math than I am:  Assuming an 80-mile surface drive from point A to point B, and assuming the Earth's surface were smooth between those two points, how many feet below the surface would a straight line pass at its midpoint?

Oops.  I meant CD = ?

Quote from: dlsterner on December 22, 2022, 08:16:34 PM
Being a math geek in addition to being a road geek, I felt compelled to try to solve this, scraping the rust off my trigonometry.  Assuming the earth's radius is 4000 miles (for ease of computation), as well as a perfect sphere, and the distance along the arc is 80 miles, looks like the straight line distance is 79.9987 miles, or a whopping 7 feet shorter.  Paradoxically it looks like the CD distance is around 4200 feet (seems to defy logic).  Others can feel free to check my math - I have been known to be wrong :)

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 08:48:18 PM
Cool!  So, assuming your math is correct, the tunnel would need to get down to 4200 feet below grade in order to shave 7 feet off the travel distance.  That hardly seems worth it.

I feel the same way about blasting a straight line through hills.   (However, I remember when this was nothing but a rock wall, and I must admit it was pretty cool to see them blast through it.)

All of which reminds me of the former Memorial Tunnel on the West Virginia Turnpike: 
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.1354749,-81.4082973,3a,75y,259.74h,99.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skpYiWbQE2FmUJ3RaQgOd9A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Memorial Tunnel is the longest [entirely] in West Virginia at 2,802 feet, but certainly saved travellers many miles of widing roads.

formulanone

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 23, 2022, 01:30:34 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 23, 2022, 11:37:59 AM
Quote from: formulanone on December 23, 2022, 11:36:15 AM
Quote from: thspfc on December 23, 2022, 09:48:09 AM
People referring to airports with their three-letter codes in a context where their audience likely is not familiar with these codes.

YEA, IDA KNO ALO TOV THE MEE THR.

ORD.
SIN to HEL

PNS to CLT via AA (that's Pensacola to Charlotte via American Airlines) exists, but there's a MOB of people who'd fly elsewhere.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on December 23, 2022, 03:00:23 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on December 23, 2022, 01:30:34 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 23, 2022, 11:37:59 AM
People referring to airports with their three-letter codes in a context where their audience likely is not familiar with these codes.

ORD.
SIN to HEL

PNS to CLT via AA (that's Pensacola to Charlotte via American Airlines) exists, but there's a MOB of people who'd fly elsewhere.
ORD-SUX.

I'm sure many travelers would agree.

kphoger

I do have a soft spot for Midway, I must admit.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

I rather my dystopian airport come with a like atmosphere, Midway delivers on that. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 23, 2022, 05:11:23 PM
I rather my dystopian airport come with a like atmosphere, Midway delivers on that.

Really? I have to admit it looks like any other midsize airport in the country to me.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Upstate NY is an exception to this, since most of the codes are painstakingly obvious (BUF, ROC, SYR, and ALB).

I once heard Portland, OR referred to as "PDX" and it took me a minute to figure out that was the airport code.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2022, 05:29:22 PM
I once heard Portland, OR referred to as "PDX" and it took me a minute to figure out that was the airport code.

Whenever I see that, my first thought is always Phoenix.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

EWR for Newark is far from obvious as well. NWK would be bettter. At least LaGuardia is LGA and JFK is JFK.

Then MCO for Orlando named after the former Air Force Base it was is far from the name. 

ORD for O Hare is another.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Of course, I think Post 5728 means that even though letters are derived from related wording, it can confuse the non informed flyer.  That is why I said ORD for O Hare as no one is going to think Orchard.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 23, 2022, 05:25:07 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 23, 2022, 05:11:23 PM

Really? I have to admit it looks like any other midsize airport in the country to me.

They've obviously modernized it slightly since I last flew there during the early 2000s.  Used to give me Airplane! vibes back when I used to fly into Midway from Lansing during the mid-to-late 1990s.

kphoger

Yeah, Midway definitely used to feel like "the other airport".
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

It wasn't until relatively recently that I found out why Rush entitled that certain instrumental "YYZ."

And why is it pronounced "Y Y Zed" sometimes?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on December 23, 2022, 06:44:21 PM

Because both the airport and the band are Canadian. That's how it's supposed to be pronounced.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kurumi

Quote from: 1 on December 23, 2022, 06:46:26 PM

Because both the airport and the band are Canadian. That's how it's supposed to be pronounced.

If you say "Y Y Zeeee", Krieger will correct you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBJO3Zj-Sv0
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Takumi

How long were you waiting to use that?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

thspfc

Quote from: roadman65 on December 23, 2022, 05:36:35 PM
EWR for Newark is far from obvious as well. NWK would be bettter. At least LaGuardia is LGA and JFK is JFK.

Then MCO for Orlando named after the former Air Force Base it was is far from the name. 

My list of airport codes that are acceptable to use in a normal setting (definitely missing some)

- JFK
- DFW
- OKC
- LAX because it sounds cool

All the others that I can think of are either a) not obvious enough, b) stupid, or c) redundant to the name of the city because the three letters take more effort to say than the city name (i.e. SLC vs Salt Lake, STL vs St. Louis).

Yes, I am choosing to die on this hill. Admittedly I've barely left my house since Wednesday because of awful weather.

thspfc

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 23, 2022, 10:05:22 PM
This whacky weather. Here in New York State, the temperature dropped from 58 degrees...to 10...in 12 hours.
In Cheyenne, WY on Wednesday, it dropped from 43 to 19 in 10 minutes.

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on December 23, 2022, 10:01:45 PM

My list of airport codes that are acceptable to use in a normal setting (definitely missing some)

- JFK
- DFW
- OKC
- LAX because it sounds cool

All the others that I can think of are either a) not obvious enough, b) stupid, or c) redundant to the name of the city because the three letters take more effort to say than the city name (i.e. SLC vs Salt Lake, STL vs St. Louis).

Yes, I am choosing to die on this hill. Admittedly I've barely left my house since Wednesday because of awful weather.

I assume this applies to speech only? I agree that saying "ess ell cee" aloud instead of "Salt Lake City" is kind of silly, but in textual form it seems like a perfectly reasonable abbreviation.

Other possible "normal" airport codes: ABQ, MSP, COS
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on December 23, 2022, 09:32:29 PM

How long were you waiting to use that?

10-12 minutes; there's pages with every code.

LilianaUwU

Even worse: Calgary uses YYC, their airport code, for everything Calgary.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

1995hoo

Interestingly, NWK is the train station code for Newark Penn Station (the stop in the city, not the separate stop for Newark Airport). I assume that has no bearing whatsoever on assignment of airport codes, but I have no idea, and I have no idea which was assigned first.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

It wasn't until relatively recently that I found out why Rush entitled that certain instrumental "YYZ."
Ah, but did you know that the rhythm of the guitar riff is set to "YYZ"  in Morse code?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.