News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mgk920 on April 15, 2022, 10:37:09 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 13, 2022, 03:04:13 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 13, 2022, 02:44:09 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 13, 2022, 11:25:55 AM
I've seen a pitcher (Wilson Alvarez, CHW) strike out four batters in a single inning.

I know it's just a vocabulary thing, but given that Nevin made it safely to first, he wasn't really struck out.

That said, you have an impressive collection of baseball memories.

Interestingly, the four strikewhatever inning seems to be becoming increasingly common.

I agree with you, but MLB counts it as a strikeout regardless of the "out" part being absent.

You must *complete* the strikeout for the out to be recorded.  That includes either the catcher remaining in control of the pitched ball OR the batter being thrown out at first base or tagged out on his way to first base.

Mike

I understand that, but for whatever reason, the pitcher is credited with a strikeout even if the runner reaches base, and thus, 4 strikeouts in an inning is possible. In fact any number of strikeouts in an inning is possible, though there's never been more than four.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 15, 2022, 07:13:02 AM
The game lasted until the 17th inning with the Yankees scoring a couple of runs and the Tigers scored a run in the bottom of that inning. I know Soriano and Posada both hit home runs in the 17th inning too. The Tigers had that knuckleballer Steve Sparks pitch just about every extra inning there was.

I stuck out a 17 inning game once.
Innings 10 and 11, it's like okay, this is gonna end any minute with one swing of the bat, so we gotta stay.
Innings 12-14, you're feeling like this is getting a little pointless and if someone in the group were to suggest we leave, you're on board.
By inning 15, though, you're over the hump.  You've stuck it out this long, so now you GOTTA see this thing to the end.  And there's a renewed sense of energy.  Might have something to do with the second Seventh Inning Stretch. Or the fact that you've been sober for three innings.
When your team scores the winning run finally, it really feels like you accomplished something as a fan.  It's like all the endurance and frustration is released in one moment and it's really special.  No regrets; glad I stayed.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Flint1979

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 15, 2022, 04:45:13 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 15, 2022, 07:13:02 AM
The game lasted until the 17th inning with the Yankees scoring a couple of runs and the Tigers scored a run in the bottom of that inning. I know Soriano and Posada both hit home runs in the 17th inning too. The Tigers had that knuckleballer Steve Sparks pitch just about every extra inning there was.

I stuck out a 17 inning game once.
Innings 10 and 11, it's like okay, this is gonna end any minute with one swing of the bat, so we gotta stay.
Innings 12-14, you're feeling like this is getting a little pointless and if someone in the group were to suggest we leave, you're on board.
By inning 15, though, you're over the hump.  You've stuck it out this long, so now you GOTTA see this thing to the end.  And there's a renewed sense of energy.  Might have something to do with the second Seventh Inning Stretch. Or the fact that you've been sober for three innings.
When your team scores the winning run finally, it really feels like you accomplished something as a fan.  It's like all the endurance and frustration is released in one moment and it's really special.  No regrets; glad I stayed.
I think it ended up being a little over 5 hours long. Another game I went to about four years later after Clemens had rejoined the Yankees again in Detroit there was a long rain delay and they were hell bent on getting the game started. It started a little after 11pm and the game lasted about 4 and a half hours. I stayed for the entire game and remember walking to my car in downtown Detroit at 3:30 in the morning and getting back home in Saginaw a little after 5am. The Tigers won that game though like 9-6 or something like that. Carlos Guillen hit a walkoff 3 run homer at about 3:20am. In fact that game went to extra innings too but only to like the 11th inning.

gonealookin

The announced attendance for tonight's Orioles vs. A's game in Oakland is 3,748.

That's pathetic, but think of these factors:
1.  Teams couldn't sell tickets or really even do any promotion until the lockout was resolved.
2.  As soon as baseball got back to work, the A's immediately traded most of their recognizable players as ownership ordered payroll cut to the bone.
3.  A's ownership has been telling everybody for years how horrible the Oakland Coliseum is and how badly they need a better ballpark.  Which raises the question of why anybody would go to the current stadium.  (This last one was a San Francisco Giants trademark when they were in Candlestick Park.)

Oakland does have baseball fans but they're being given plenty of reasons not to pay their money to see A's games at this time.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: gonealookin on April 20, 2022, 12:41:49 AM
The announced attendance for tonight's Orioles vs. A's game in Oakland is 3,748.

1.  Teams couldn't sell tickets or really even do any promotion until the lockout was resolved.
2.  As soon as baseball got back to work, the A's immediately traded most of their recognizable players as ownership ordered payroll cut to the bone.
3.  A's ownership has been telling everybody for years how horrible the Oakland Coliseum is and how badly they need a better ballpark.  Which raises the question of why anybody would go to the current stadium.  (This last one was a San Francisco Giants trademark when they were in Candlestick Park.)

Oakland does have baseball fans but they're being given plenty of reasons not to pay their money to see A's games at this time.

For many games, season tickets - either partial or full game plans - account for the majority of tickets sold. Between what you mentioned and that companies are still conducting meetings with clients via online chats and other Covid-related restrictions and changes, the opportunity to sell season ticket plans are way down from what they were in 2019 & prior.

NWI_Irish96

Don't worry, they've signed Jake Taylor, Pedro Serrano, Willie Mays Hayes and Rick Vaughn and will be much better in the second half of the season.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 20, 2022, 07:27:27 AM

Don't worry, they've signed Jake Taylor, Pedro Serrano, Willie Mays Hayes and Rick Vaughn and will be much better in the second half of the season.

I heard for the players they invited to camp most of those players were past their prime, and one guy was dead.

:popcorn:
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 20, 2022, 09:27:23 AM
I heard for the players they invited to camp most of those players were past their prime, and one guy was dead.

Then cross him off the list!
:-D

gr8daynegb

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 20, 2022, 12:50:54 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 20, 2022, 09:27:23 AM

Then cross him off the list!
:-D

Major League 1 and 2 my two most quoted sports movies lol

Plenty of Rocky, Caddyshack, Happy Gilmore, Little Giants, and Sandlot quotes(too many sports movies to name) memorable quotes to choose from

Alps

Excited for the Nashville A's in 2024!

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2022, 10:58:11 PM

I thought it was going to be the Las Vegas A(ces).

Henry

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 21, 2022, 06:30:52 AM

Thought so too, until that plan hit a snag, so it's back to the drawing board (e.g., Howard Terminal). I'm rooting for the A's to finally get their ballpark there, especially since time is running out on the Coliseum.

Also, what is up with Tampa Bay anyway? Are they still trying to move to Montreal or another city (Nashville, Charlotte or Portland)?

I've seen several sports video games allow expansion teams to be created, and MLB: The Show needs to be one of them, especially since stadiums can now be created, but only on next-gen consoles (PS5, XBox One Series X/S).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on April 21, 2022, 10:36:39 AM

Thought so too, until that plan hit a snag, so it's back to the drawing board (e.g., Howard Terminal). I'm rooting for the A's to finally get their ballpark there, especially since time is running out on the Coliseum.

Also, what is up with Tampa Bay anyway? Are they still trying to move to Montreal or another city (Nashville, Charlotte or Portland)?

I've seen several sports video games allow expansion teams to be created, and MLB: The Show needs to be one of them, especially since stadiums can now be created, but only on next-gen consoles (PS5, XBox One Series X/S).

Last I heard, TB wanted to split their season between Montreal and TB, presumably with the warmer months in Montreal, but MLB shot it down.

Baseball in Tampa was never going to work. Yes it's the 18th largest metro area but too many people there are transplants and already had a favorite team. Plus you have beaches nearby and Disney not too far away. Lots for baseball to compete with.

mgk920

That's like that game back in the 1970s when the Charlie Finley 'A's drew just over 700 paying fans to a home game in Oakland.

Mike

gr8daynegb

Seems ever since the Coliseum got Mt. Davis any personality that ballpark had went down the drain(was a decent enough looking ballpark before that. 
But you figure:
#1-They are the AL Version of the Expos(draft players to trade away due to owners not wanting to pay much for players)
#2- Especially with Mt. Davis and current age of facility who wants to go there?(if when A's do make playoffs Oakland shows they care enough then to fill the park)
#3- MLB makes it's intentions fairly clear they really aren't trying to keep baseball in Oakland

(I don't live in CA so not sure if covid restrictions play any factor at all, people from that area could answer that)

But with those factors I do see why fans in Oakland are basically giving the finger to the A's/MLB.....if MLB/A's seem don't care about Oakland, why should Oakland really care back?  Which is sad considering they have passionate fanbases but all the Oakland teams either leave(Warriors and Raiders), or keep threatening to leave Oakland(A's)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 21, 2022, 10:47:08 AM
Baseball in Tampa was never going to work. Yes it's the 18th largest metro area but too many people there are transplants and already had a favorite team. Plus you have beaches nearby and Disney not too far away. Lots for baseball to compete with.

The issue isn't the lack of interest. The issue is the stadium. Aside from being a decrepit mausoleum, it's in a horrible location that makes going to games enough of a nightmare for people that most don't want to deal with it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Henry

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 23, 2022, 12:29:56 AM

The issue isn't the lack of interest. The issue is the stadium. Aside from being a decrepit mausoleum, it's in a horrible location that makes going to games enough of a nightmare for people that most don't want to deal with it.
Sure, it's a bad place to be, but then again, the Mariners had it even worse when they had to play their first 21 1/2 seasons at the dark and dreary Kingdome. Compared to that dump, T-Mobile Park is a huge step up, and the best thing that could ever happen to the team and their city. (Ditto for the Seahawks and their top-ranked NFL stadium!)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

gr8daynegb

Considering when the Rays made the World Series and they still couldn't fill the park does put lack of fan interest into play.  The Marlins and A's drew in postseason is spite of their ballparks and other factors.  But Tampa just plays to slightly fuller stadiums. 

I'm not disagreeing that park is junk and in a bad spot........but if my team makes World Series you'll make exceptions to get there and watch even if you hate the ballpark

Henry

Well, how do you explain the Buccaneers' and Lightning's recent success when they compete with the same things the Rays do (beaches, Disney and possibly transplants who rooted for another team)? Let's face it, Tampa isn't Seattle, so they'll have to work extra hard to spark some interest in the team and get what is badly needed, which is a new park somewhere in Tampa. Or a backup plan if things fall apart, like the A's do (Oakland or Vegas?). Right now, the Rays have neither, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on May 09, 2022, 10:20:56 PM
Well, how do you explain the Buccaneers' and Lightning's recent success when they compete with the same things the Rays do (beaches, Disney and possibly transplants who rooted for another team)? Let's face it, Tampa isn't Seattle, so they'll have to work extra hard to spark some interest in the team and get what is badly needed, which is a new park somewhere in Tampa. Or a backup plan if things fall apart, like the A's do (Oakland or Vegas?). Right now, the Rays have neither, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Football is a completely different entity with only 8-9 home games per season. As for the Lightning, I'd guess there's fewer distractions in the winter.

brad2971

Yet I'll bet it's not a horrible location for, say, e-commerce warehouses. Or condo towers or apartment complexes, for that matter. All three are in likely short supply in Pinellas at this moment, I presume.

Forgive my snottiness; I have a real problem with people who think a baseball park is a highest-and-best use for land blaming everything but their own marketing skills for the Rays attendance issues.

Henry

I was just thinking about the whole "Joe Buck to ESPN" thing that will begin with the upcoming NFL season, but will he also continue to do the MLB announcing that he had on FOX?

Takumi

Quote from: Henry on May 11, 2022, 02:40:04 PM
I was just thinking about the whole "Joe Buck to ESPN" thing that will begin with the upcoming NFL season, but will he also continue to do the MLB announcing that he had on FOX?

No. His replacement is Joe Davis, who I believe comes from the Dodgers.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 09, 2022, 10:31:34 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 09, 2022, 10:20:56 PM

Football is a completely different entity with only 8-9 home games per season. As for the Lightning, I'd guess there's fewer distractions in the winter.

Hockey attendance is all the snowbirds from actual hockey cities watching "their" team when they swing through Florida.

NWI_Irish96

First (I think) COVID cancellation of the season as the Guardians have an outbreak and their game in Chicago will be made up the next time they're in town.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.