Highways numbered 1000 - are there any states that have them?

Started by KCRoadFan, October 08, 2023, 01:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

All right, my fellow forum members, it has happened. It's here. Three years and four months after I first registered on the AARoads forum, I have now reached the big milestone of 1,000 posts!!!!

As some of you may recall, when I reached 100 posts, I marked that milestone by making it about highways numbered 100, and then I made similar posts to mark 200, 300, and 500. Well, I figured that I would do a similar one for 1,000 as well!

Anyway, are there any states that have a highway numbered 1000? I would assume it would be an FM road in Texas, a state road in Kentucky or Louisiana, or a secondary road in Virginia, as these are the states I know of that have lots of four-digit road numbers - well, signed ones, that is. Is there a Highway 1000 in any of the aforementioned states, and if there is, how important or prominent is that road, as such a number might suggest it would be?

Well, here's to 1,000 posts, and many more to come. It feels great to be in the four-figure club - I wonder, what is the proportion of forum members with at least 1,000 posts, compared to the total number of members? (I'm guessing it's somewhere around 5 percent of the total membership, or something like that - regardless of how big or small that subset is, I'm proud that I can now call myself part of it!)

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jt4

74/171FAN

I am unsure if PA ever uses 1000 as a quadrant route, but VA probably has a 1000 in almost every county that signs secondary routes.  I am unsure how often NC uses 1000.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

I looked up Louisiana Highway 1000 on the highway log I created in 2003 with an excel file emailed to me from LADOTD, and LA 1000 was listed as running between LA 996 and LA 1. Designated in the area of Bella Rose, the highway is signed (GSV link).

freebrickproductions

Going a bit internationally, the UK also has an A1000 (former alignment of the A1) and a B1000 that branches off of the A1000.
I'd imagine other European countries that prefix their highways with letters rather than using shields (and have 4-digit highway numbers, obviously) would also have highways numbered 1000.

Counties that sign their county routes and have 4-digit numbers probably also have CR 1000s.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SkyPesos

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 08, 2023, 01:34:17 AM
Well, here's to 1,000 posts, and many more to come. It feels great to be in the four-figure club - I wonder, what is the proportion of forum members with at least 1,000 posts, compared to the total number of members? (I'm guessing it's somewhere around 5 percent of the total membership, or something like that - regardless of how big or small that subset is, I'm proud that I can now call myself part of it!)
Yep, around 5%. As of the time I'm typing this, there's 4568 total members on the members list, and sorting the lost by number of posts, you can see that there's 245 with 1000 or more posts, which is around 5%.

Max Rockatansky

Was I the only one kind of hoping Post Counts would be janked up after the forum came out of Maintenance Mode?

kphoger

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 08, 2023, 03:55:19 PM
I'd imagine other European countries that prefix their highways with letters rather than using shields (and have 4-digit highway numbers, obviously) would also have highways numbered 1000.

Such as Spain.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

index

Only secondary roads here in NC. While these are a dime a dozen here and thus this example might not be quite what you had in mind, there seems to be only a single road designated as SR 1000, and it doesn't even show up in NCDOT's database lookup: Coast Guard Road in Carteret County. So it *is* a uniquely numbered road and thus it might fit what you're looking for.

There are a handful of county/municipal/other reports that seem to mention an SR 1000, but I could not actually find another one. A few roads that turned up in a search for an SR 1000 were not actually an SR 1000, but just 1000 series SRs.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on October 09, 2023, 12:05:06 PM
Such as Spain.

That is obviously in Andalusia (and near Almeria to be exact). A-1000 cannot happen in Aragon, since no "green" road here has 0, 8 or 9 as its second digit and the order starts from 01 anyway.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Shedingtonian

Quote from: kphoger on October 09, 2023, 12:05:06 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 08, 2023, 03:55:19 PM

Such as Spain.

Dang, you beat me to it! But yes, Andalucía has some pretty high road numbers, with the autonomic (A-XXXX) numbers reaching the 8000's. Navarra's local road network goes higher, to 87XX, but Sevilla's provincial network reaches 9225.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 10, 2023, 06:46:00 AM
That is obviously in Andalusia (and near Almeria to be exact). A-1000 cannot happen in Aragon, since no "green" road here has 0, 8 or 9 as its second digit and the order starts from 01 anyway.

Since Almería is the first province in Andalucía in alphabetical order, its complementary network gets number 1. Cádiz gets 2, Córdoba gets 3...
Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,
and read the blog to keep up to date with what's going on with me.

And yes, I'm still studying civil engineering.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 08, 2023, 07:57:25 AM
I am unsure if PA ever uses 1000 as a quadrant route, but VA probably has a 1000 in almost every county that signs secondary routes.  I am unsure how often NC uses 1000.

I've never seen a SR 1000 in PA. They seem to start at SR x001, where x is the appropriate number for the quadrant or series.

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Shedingtonian on October 10, 2023, 07:39:24 AM
Dang, you beat me to it! But yes, Andalucía has some pretty high road numbers, with the autonomic (A-XXXX) numbers reaching the 8000's. Navarra's local road network goes higher, to 87XX, but Sevilla's provincial network reaches 9225.

My province gets as high as 9998 :sombrero:, which I drove by coming back from Toulouse. And I've been on a road numbered as high as 9601 (although it is expected to receive a far lower number, but that has yet to happen). On the other hand there are not many roads below 100 in Spain, so it is quite a struggle to climb in the table of the "Lowest-numbered route you haven't been on" thread, specially when one hits the 80s and 90s as there are few roads numbered in that range (and possibly none at all for some numbers). Good thing I made sure to get out to Albi, getting N88 in the process...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hunty2022

There's a SR-1000 in Greene County, VA:

This is the only SR-1000 in the state that I know of.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Shedingtonian

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 10, 2023, 11:39:18 AM

My province gets as high as 9998 :sombrero:, which I drove by coming back from Toulouse. And I've been on a road numbered as high as 9601 (although it is expected to receive a far lower number, but that has yet to happen). On the other hand there are not many roads below 100 in Spain, so it is quite a struggle to climb in the table of the "Lowest-numbered route you haven't been on" thread, specially when one hits the 80s and 90s as there are few roads numbered in that range (and possibly none at all for some numbers). Good thing I made sure to get out to Albi, getting N88 in the process...

I can't believe that such a high number exists. What province are you from? I need to find that route!

And yes, there is a huge gap in route numbers in Spain because very few communities do two digits, and I can't find any A-8X's in the Ministry's road catalogue.
Fictional maps, road signs, video game projects... Visit Shedingtonian's Virtual Dump,

kphoger

Quote from: Shedingtonian on October 10, 2023, 01:18:30 PM

I can't believe that such a high number exists. What province are you from? I need to find that route!

And yes, there is a huge gap in route numbers in Spain because very few communities do two digits, and I can't find any A-8X's in the Ministry's road catalogue.

Huesca

https://www.dphuesca.es/espacio-de-prensa/-/document_library/47L1x7pB0RXg/view/71076?_com_liferay_document_library_web_portlet_DLPortlet_INSTANCE_47L1x7pB0RXg_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dphuesca.es%2Fespacio-de-prensa%2F-%2Fdocument_library%2F47L1x7pB0RXg%2Fview%2F71031
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Shedingtonian

Quote from: kphoger on October 10, 2023, 01:52:13 PM
Quote from: Shedingtonian on October 10, 2023, 01:18:30 PM

Huesca

https://www.dphuesca.es/espacio-de-prensa/-/document_library/47L1x7pB0RXg/view/71076?_com_liferay_document_library_web_portlet_DLPortlet_INSTANCE_47L1x7pB0RXg_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dphuesca.es%2Fespacio-de-prensa%2F-%2Fdocument_library%2F47L1x7pB0RXg%2Fview%2F71031

Thank you. It's interesting to me that they don't sign it, not even with kilometer posts.

epzik8

Let me know when this discussion reaches the 1200s, because I've got one for that.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.