News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

On that note, there seems to be this perception that Justin Fields has no future with the Bears and they're sure to draft a QB with the Panthers' top pick. With no real evidence other than gut feeling, I disagree. I think it's very likely they keep Fields, who has at this point, shown plenty of flashes and is more of a sure thing than another highly drafted QB.

The coaching staff is a much bigger issue. Eberflus has shown zero reason why he should be an NFL head coach and zero ability to win close games, as we saw again yesterday. Fields isn't blameless, but they've been competitive when he's on the field, while poor coaching decisions keep costing them in close game scenarios.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on November 20, 2023, 09:41:54 PM
On that note, there seems to be this perception that Justin Fields has no future with the Bears and they're sure to draft a QB with the Panthers' top pick. With no real evidence other than gut feeling, I disagree. I think it's very likely they keep Fields, who has at this point, shown plenty of flashes and is more of a sure thing than another highly drafted QB.

The coaching staff is a much bigger issue. Eberflus has shown zero reason why he should be an NFL head coach and zero ability to win close games, as we saw again yesterday. Fields isn't blameless, but they've been competitive when he's on the field, while poor coaching decisions keep costing them in close game scenarios.
As of now, I disagree, but there's still time. The coaches have to make him throw the ball in these last six games. 35, 40, 45 times. If that means abandoning the run in a situation where you would not normally abandon the run, so be it. It's not like their typical offensive strategy has been working anyways. They have to see whether Fields can keep the team in a game with his arm, because if he can't, he's not a franchise QB and almost certainly never will be.

In Fields' whole career, he's thrown >30 passes in a game five times; two were blowouts, one time they led by 6 at half and lost by 15, one time they trailed by double digits throughout the second half before scoring a meaningless TD with 0:00 on the clock. The fifth was the Broncos game this year, which he played well in, but 1) Denver's defense gave up 70 points the week before, and 2) the Bears offense shut down in the second half en route to blowing a 28-7 lead.

Fields has 1 0 career game-winning drives, against 13 one-score losses (a game-winning FG against the Texans was immediately after an interception). Some of the blame falls on the coaching staff, for sure, but all the signs point to Fields simply not being a competent NFL passer. He's shown growth in the last few games he's played. (though the Commanders statline is deceiving - his eyes were locked onto Moore all night, and Moore happened to have an insane performance against a terrible defense.)

Essentially the question is "who is more likely to become a franchise QB: Fields or Caleb Williams?" Williams is considered the best QB prospect in the last 3 drafts, while Fields still doesn't look convincing 3 years in. If he throws it well for the rest of the season then it becomes a very difficult decision for the Bears, and it would probably come down to just how much they like Williams (or Maye or whoever) as a prospect. But if it's more of what we've seen throughout his career, they'll be glad to take a second or third round pick from whichever team wants to take a flyer.

Of course, the other variable is how much the Bears could get if they traded Carolina's #1 pick, assuming that's how it plays out. Another DJ Moore-caliber player and a couple first rounders is massive, but how much does it really matter if you don't have the QB?

Eberflus is good as gone, that's for certain.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on November 17, 2023, 10:18:39 PM
... So I'll make it a clean sweep and complete my playoff field.

AFC:
25 points: Colts, Titans, Texans
20 points: Raiders, Steelers, Patriots
10 points: Bills, Jets, Bengals
Playoffs: Chiefs, Ravens, Dolphins, Jaguars, Browns, Chargers, Broncos

What a disaster for the Chargers. They are on the watch list for forcing me to make last-second changes to my forks list. I'd have to unfork the Jets, Bills, or Bengals before Week 13.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on November 20, 2023, 10:25:11 PM
Essentially the question is "who is more likely to become a franchise QB: Fields or Caleb Williams?" Williams is considered the best QB prospect in the last 3 drafts, while Fields still doesn't look convincing 3 years in. If he throws it well for the rest of the season then it becomes a very difficult decision for the Bears, and it would probably come down to just how much they like Williams (or Maye or whoever) as a prospect. But if it's more of what we've seen throughout his career, they'll be glad to take a second or third round pick from whichever team wants to take a flyer.

I agree that's the right question and think that Caleb Williams is probably the right answer... but everything I know about Bears ownership (including their choice of GM and coach) makes me think they will be very hesitant to make another big swing at QB and more than willing to convince themselves that Fields is the answer.

Quote from: thspfc on November 20, 2023, 10:25:11 PM
Eberflus is good as gone, that's for certain.

One would hope so. There are fans saying it's better to keep losing, but to keep blowing games you should be winning is unacceptable and almost entirely on coaching.

Hunty2022

Quote from: webny99 on November 20, 2023, 10:30:03 PM
I'd have to unfork the Jets, Bills, or Bengals before Week 13.

We can do that?
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

webny99

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 20, 2023, 10:50:47 PM

We can do that?

Not sure it's been discussed before. Whatever everyone thinks, but I would say yes if it's within the same points window. For example, since all forks made between Weeks 9-12 are worth 10 points, switches could be made only on teams forked within that time frame.

thspfc

I recall saying long ago that takebacks would not be allowed at all after the start of the season, but now I can't find that post.

I would say within the same points period, it's fine if everyone's okay with that.

JayhawkCO

No take backs. You commit, you eat it when you're wrong. I have plenty of crappy picks. Otherwise, I'd like to rescind all my picks that are now bad.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 20, 2023, 11:28:09 PM
No take backs. You commit, you eat it when you're wrong. I have plenty of crappy picks. Otherwise, I'd like to rescind all my picks that are now bad.

That just incentivizes waiting until the end of the points period. I could have had the exact same takes and kept them to myself as they evolved, saved up and unloaded them all on the Thursday of Week 13, and there would be zero difference in the game or the results... except that the thread was less interesting for four weeks.

TBH, I wouldn't dare touch the Bills fork, and there's zero reason to regret forking the Bengals or Jets, so despite being mad at the Chargers, I don't stand to gain much by changing anything. So I am fine with no changes personally, but also OK with it in principle if it's during the same points period.

jlam

Quote from: webny99 on November 20, 2023, 11:41:29 PM
That just incentivizes waiting until the end of the points period. I could have had the exact same takes and kept them to myself as they evolved, saved up and unloaded them all on the Thursday of Week 13, and there would be zero difference in the game or the results... except that the thread was less interesting for four weeks.
Nah. Gotta roll with the spontaneity and impulse fork immediately. Like with the Vikings.

JayhawkCO

TBH, I wouldn't dare touch the Bills fork, and there's zero reason to regret forking the Bengals or Jets, so despite being mad at the Chargers, I don't stand to gain much by changing anything. So I am fine with no changes personally, but also OK with it in principle if it's during the same points period.

We're not playing for money. Some of my forks are as much for the bit as anything else. You say "call" in a game of poker, it's binding. Sometimes the second you say it, you regret it. But it is what it is.

thspfc

That just incentivizes waiting until the end of the points period.
That's what I do anyway.

ET21

6 more weeks of torture as a Bears fan  :ded:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on November 21, 2023, 10:18:21 AM

That just incentivizes waiting until the end of the points period.
That's what I do anyway.

I would too, but I'm too lazy to go back and see which weeks delineate each period.

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on November 20, 2023, 08:30:25 PM
"How the hell did da Bears lose in Detroit???"

--Me and every disgruntled fan after the latest come-from-ahead loss where everything went right until the last minute

I (most decidedly a fan of the Green Bay Packers) was also very disappointed in how the Bears came through in that game at Detroit. (GRRrrrr.. . . ).

Mike

Alps

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 20, 2023, 10:50:47 PM

We can do that?
You cannot unfork the Jets.

jgb191

Incredible and gutsy win by the Eagles at Arrowhead!  This was the toughest game for the Eagles this fall, if they could win in spite of pouring rain and a frenzied crowd, then they could win anywhere!  I think now the Eagles look to be the favorite to win it all; I can't see anybody beating them now.

This is the game of the decade so far for the Texans:  Jacksonville at Houston!  Is it too late to flex this game to prime time?  Because I would like to think that the game deserves national broadcast.  Anyway, just because my team blew out the Jaguars in Jacksonville that doesn't mean anything.  The Texans don't get a 20-point head start; the scores are reset to 0-0.  And if anybody is expecting an easy win for the Texans, you got another thing coming!  This is NOT going to be easy; I'm expecting an hard-fought battle because both teams know exactly what's on the line.  I also believe it's make-or-break for the Texans, the outcome will determine their season's fate: a loss will seriously hurt our team's chances of making the playoffs, and a win means the Texans sweep the Jaguars and control of our division; our playoff chances would be tremendously boosted.  What will happen on Sunday?  Stay tuned!  I'm already excited!  Reliant Park/NRG Stadium will be electric.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on November 21, 2023, 12:14:58 PM
Quote from: Henry on November 20, 2023, 08:30:25 PM
"How the hell did da Bears lose in Detroit???"

--Me and every disgruntled fan after the latest come-from-ahead loss where everything went right until the last minute

I (most decidedly a fan of the Green Bay Packers) was also very disappointed in how the Bears came through in that game at Detroit. (GRRrrrr.. . . ).

Mike

I'm not.  I thought the Lions finally figured out how to wins even when down near the end.  It's rare, and kind of nice to be on top of the NFC North for once at 8 and 2.  Hopefully Thursday goes even better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tmoore952

Quote from: jgb191 on November 21, 2023, 07:43:41 PM
Incredible and gutsy win by the Eagles at Arrowhead!  This was the toughest game for the Eagles this fall, if they could win in spite of pouring rain and a frenzied crowd, then they could win anywhere!  I think now the Eagles look to be the favorite to win it all; I can't see anybody beating them now.

While I am happy the Eagles won, and do think that winning this game was a necessary/important step for their psyche, I also feel they were lucky to win, thanks to Chiefs turnovers or missed plays. To a lesser extent I also feel that way about their win over the Cowboys. On the other hand, I do realize that "good" teams find a way to win close games. And so I'm a little more cautiously optimistic.

thspfc

The weather conditions yesterday favored the Eagles relative to the Chiefs. I'm not saying that they're not better than the Chiefs (I think they are), but the rain helped them, not hurt them.

webny99

Another one for the Takes I'm Guaranteed to Regretâ„¢ file: I thought Eagles-Chiefs played out perfectly from a Bills perspective (they face the Eagles this week and the Chiefs after their Week 13 bye). Both teams looked beatable, the Eagles winning streak stays alive, and the Chiefs have winnable games at Raiders and Packers before playing the Bills.

webny99

Ted$8roadFan

Meanwhile, Tom Brady has elected to weigh in on the state of play in the NFL this season:

https://sports.yahoo.com/tom-brady-thinks-theres-a-lot-of-mediocrity-in-todays-nfl-165956606.html

thspfc

Lions
Cowboys
49ers
Dolphins
Colts
Patriots
Bengals
Titans
Texans
Saints
Rams
Broncos
Eagles
Chiefs
Chargers
Vikings

Big John

For a proper use of his name, John Madden patches will be worn by all teams today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.