News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Changes to sports

Started by Poiponen13, February 13, 2023, 11:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

This would be more logical, plus save some rivalries:

Northeast: Pats, Jets, Giants, Bills
Atlantic: Eagles, Steelers, Ravens, Washington
Southeast: Dolphins, Bucs, Jags, Falcons
Mideast: Colts, Panthers, Browns, Bengals
North: Bears, Vikings, Packers, Lions
South: Saints, Texans, Cowboys, Titans
Southwest: Raiders, Cardinals, Rams, Chargers
Northwest: Broncos, Seahawks, Niners, Chiefs
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 22, 2023, 06:23:48 PM
This would be more logical, plus save some rivalries:

Northeast: Pats, Jets, Giants, Bills
Atlantic: Eagles, Steelers, Ravens, Washington
Southeast: Dolphins, Bucs, Jags, Falcons
Mideast: Colts, Panthers, Browns, Bengals
North: Bears, Vikings, Packers, Lions
South: Saints, Texans, Cowboys, Titans
Southwest: Raiders, Cardinals, Rams, Chargers
Northwest: Broncos, Seahawks, Niners, Chiefs
Would love to humble the NJ Teams 4x a year.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

I'd flipflop Cardinals/Raiders for Niners & Seahawks and flipflop Lions for Colts

texaskdog

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 22, 2023, 12:32:12 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 11:58:48 AM
Quote from: Henry on February 22, 2023, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 22, 2023, 07:52:41 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 10:57:52 AM
The change that should be made to MLB is that Texas Rangers and Arizona Diamondbacks should swap leagues, so their "natural rivals" would be Astros and Rockies.

AL and NL are going to go away before too long anyway. Just need a few more of the old school owners who are against it to sell/die.
I wouldn't count on that. The two leagues have been competing against each other for 120 years, and it's worked well, so why mess with the formula? It would be like the NFL getting rid of the NFC and AFC, which I don't see happening anytime soon either. IOW, leave them as they are.
But Rangers and Astros shouldn't be in same division.

They shouldn't be in the same LEAGUE. The Astros were a National League team for many years. I'm not a fan of this business of moving teams between leagues just to suit the commissioner's whims.

Yes they should.  Divisions should be the teams that are closest together.  Everyone plays everyone, there are no leagues anymore just conferences.  Yankees & Mets should play each other a lot too.  Make the playoffs seeded regardless of league so the best two teams can play.

texaskdog

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2023, 11:06:06 PM
Speaking of a change of which I just recently became aware, am I alone in thinking banning the defensive shift in baseball is one of the stupidest things ever?

Maybe batters should learn how to hit to the opposite field if they want to get on base, instead of banning the defense from shifting to playing against known pull hitters.

Smartest thing I've read all day.  if the hitter is that good he could just hit it where they aint!

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 05:59:58 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on February 22, 2023, 05:44:53 PM
In an effort to reduce travel costs and fatigue, I wish the NFL would divide the conferences to East and West.  Also New Jersey is one of the tiniest states in the country and does not need two teams; move one of them to a city in the Mountain or Pacific Time Zone. 

Northeast Division:  Boston, Buffalo, Philadelphia, and (Giants or Jets)
Mid-Atlantic Division:  Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Washington
Great Lakes Division:  Cleveland, Cinncinati, Detroit, Indianapolis,
Southeast Division:  Atlanta, Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa

North Central Division:  Chicago, Kansas City, Minnesota, Green Bay
South Central Division:  Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Tennessee
Southwest Division:  Los Angeles (Rams), Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego (Chargers)
Northwest Division:  Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, and (Giants or Jets)

And also go by actual city name instead of state name especially baseball.  What's wrong with calling them Denver Rockies?
Do not make us play the Eagles twice a year along with the Bills please. And these names suck, go back to original names. Boston Patriots died in 1970. And why are the Giants or Jets in the NORTHWEST Division? That makes no sense!

He just said move them to Portland :)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: texaskdog on February 22, 2023, 07:45:24 PM
In an effort to reduce travel costs and fatigue, I wish the NFL would divide the conferences to East and West.  Also New Jersey is one of the tiniest states in the country and does not need two teams; move one of them to a city in the Mountain or Pacific Time Zone. 

Southwest Division:  Los Angeles (Rams), Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego (Chargers)

And also go by actual city name instead of state name especially baseball.  What's wrong with calling them Denver Rockies?
Do not make us play the Eagles twice a year along with the Bills please. And these names suck, go back to original names. Boston Patriots died in 1970. And why are the Giants or Jets in the NORTHWEST Division? That makes no sense!

Nobodys moving a team from NYC to Goddamn Portland.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 08:23:17 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 22, 2023, 07:45:24 PM

Nobodys moving a team from NYC to Goddamn Portland.

It didn't work when Hello Larry did it either.

jgb191

It might not have to be Portland, but it is the largest city west of the Great Plains with only one sports team, something that could complement the Blazers and the Northwest rivalry with Sea-Hawks just up the road in Seattle, and Nike is HQ'ed in Oregon! 

I believe Sacramento is the second largest such city; possibly rival the Niners?  Or maybe Salt Lake?  All I know is New Jersey need not two teams, with another just outside the state across the Delaware River.  And neither the Giants nor the Jets are in NYC, both are somewhere in New Jersey.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Bruce

Quote from: jgb191 on February 23, 2023, 12:38:38 AM
It might not have to be Portland, but it is the largest city west of the Great Plains with only one sports team, something that could complement the Blazers and the Northwest rivalry with Sea-Hawks just up the road in Seattle, and Nike is HQ'ed in Oregon! 

I believe Sacramento is the second largest such city; possibly rival the Niners?  Or maybe Salt Lake?  All I know is New Jersey need not two teams, with another just outside the state across the Delaware River.  And neither the Giants nor the Jets are in NYC, both are somewhere in New Jersey.

Portland has two teams; no matter what one thinks of MLS nationally, in the Northwest it is a major league and has a significant following.

Salt Lake City also has two teams. And so would Sacramento had their MLS bid not been torpedoed.

Flint1979

The Giants and Jets both play within the NYC Metro area. Just because they happen to be located in New Jersey doesn't make them less of a NYC team, they are indeed within their metro area. That other city just across the state is also one of the largest metro areas in the country. I think you are underestimating the population of the east coast.

triplemultiplex

Wasn't there a movie a couple decades ago where one of the plot points was the scheming going into some dude trying to build a new stadium for the Giants in NYC proper?  This would've been before MetLife was built and it was still the old Meadowlands.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 23, 2023, 10:41:25 AM
Wasn't there a movie a couple decades ago where one of the plot points was the scheming going into some dude trying to build a new stadium for the Giants in NYC proper?  This would've been before MetLife was built and it was still the old Meadowlands.
It was actually the Jets, and Kevin James brought it up in Hitch. They were trying to build a stadium on the West Side of Manhattan that would've been one of the sites for the 2012 Olympics had New York been awarded them. But London killed those plans, and the two teams stayed across the river to build their shared stadium.

While we're on the subject of the AL and NL getting dumped, this would be a fun new take on the future of MLB:

EASTERN LEAGUE
Northeast: Red Sox, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, Pirates
Great Lakes: Reds, Guardians, Tigers, Brewers, Blue Jays
Southeast: Braves, Orioles, Marlins, Rays, Nationals

WESTERN LEAGUE
Midwest: Cubs, White Sox, Royals, Twins, Cardinals
Southwest: Diamondbacks, Rockies, Astros, Athletics, Rangers
Pacific: Angels, Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Mariners

Most of the existing rivalries would be preserved, and a lot less travel would be needed, since the teams are much closer together.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jgb191

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 23, 2023, 04:16:16 AM

The Giants and Jets both play within the NYC Metro area. Just because they happen to be located in New Jersey doesn't make them less of a NYC team, they are indeed within their metro area. That other city just across the state is also one of the largest metro areas in the country. I think you are underestimating the population of the east coast.

The only thing I disagree with is two teams somewhere in the NYC metro.  I completely agree with Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston each having one team in a single league -- that's five teams in about a 400-mile stretch, similar to the distance between SF and LA or from KC to MSP or from NO to DFW.

I really believe that Portland and Seattle, especially in the NFL, rivalry could generate lots of interest in the Pacific NW and much of the country.  And it would make the divisions I planned out work.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jgb191 on February 23, 2023, 12:14:45 PM

The only thing I disagree with is two teams somewhere in the NYC metro.  I completely agree with Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston each having one team in a single league -- that's five teams in about a 400-mile stretch, similar to the distance between SF and LA or from KC to MSP or from NO to DFW.

I really believe that Portland and Seattle, especially in the NFL, rivalry could generate lots of interest in the Pacific NW and much of the country.  And it would make the divisions I planned out work.
NYC has so many people that two teams are warrented. And the Jets and Giants both have diehard fanbases and decades of history.

hbelkins

Quote from: texaskdog on February 22, 2023, 07:42:41 PM
Speaking of a change of which I just recently became aware, am I alone in thinking banning the defensive shift in baseball is one of the stupidest things ever?

Maybe batters should learn how to hit to the opposite field if they want to get on base, instead of banning the defense from shifting to playing against known pull hitters.

Smartest thing I've read all day.  if the hitter is that good he could just hit it where they aint!

The hitter doesn't even have to do that. Just lay a bunt down along the third-base line and it's an automatic single.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ilpt4u

Quote from: hbelkins on February 23, 2023, 07:28:14 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 22, 2023, 07:42:41 PM

The hitter doesn't even have to do that. Just lay a bunt down along the third-base line and it's an automatic single.
That bunt does have to get right down the line (to stay away from the pitcher) and far enough away from the catcher, but yes.

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 12:32:51 PM

NYC has so many people that two teams are warrented. And the Jets and Giants both have diehard fanbases and decades of history.

Yes but I don't agree LA needs two teams, after all those years with none

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: texaskdog on February 23, 2023, 07:45:36 PM

I think that the Rams should be in St. Louis or LA, the Raiders in LA, and the Chargers in San Diego or if not possible, Vegas.

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 07:49:41 PM

I think that the Rams should be in St. Louis or LA, the Raiders in LA, and the Chargers in San Diego or if not possible, Vegas.

Rams are the chosen ones.  Put the Chargers back in San Diego or Saint Louis.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: texaskdog on February 23, 2023, 08:05:56 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 07:49:41 PM

Rams are the chosen ones.  Put the Chargers back in San Diego or Saint Louis.
LA can support 2 NFL teams. It has 2 teams in every other sport. I just think that it should be the Rams and Raiders, not the Chargers.

Poiponen13

MLB promotion and relegation:
Six poor-performing teams (three from each league) are selected as challenger teams which can face relegation. At the end of regular season, the worst challenger team from each league play best-of-seven playout whose loser is relegated to AAA. The team is replaced by winner of playoff between IL and PCL champions.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 24, 2023, 04:51:54 AM
Six poor-performing teams (three from each league) are selected as challenger teams which can face relegation. At the end of regular season, the worst challenger team from each league play best-of-seven playout whose loser is relegated to AAA. The team is replaced by winner of playoff between IL and PCL champions.
Which will happen first: Poiponen's promotion and relegation or MMM's water highways?

Poiponen13

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 24, 2023, 05:03:24 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 24, 2023, 04:51:54 AM
Which will happen first: Poiponen's promotion and relegation or MMM's water highways?
Promotion and relagation.

NWI_Irish96

Does everybody advocating for promotion/relegation in MLB understand how the minors work? Most teams, including all of AAA, are affiliated with major league clubs, with the players belonging to the major league clubs.

If you relegated Oakland and Washington after the 2022 season and promoted Durham and Reno, you'd have two MLB teams controlled by Tampa and Arizona. That can't work.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.