News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 04, 2024, 01:23:26 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2024, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2024, 09:42:49 AMAirbnb cleaning fees.

I'm ok with this one, within reason.  Some people are slobs and leave houses in atrocious condition. Other fees are just add-ons for no reason other than pure profit.

I'm not. It's part of the cost of doing business and should be wrapped into the regular rate.

A house that needs cleaning is gonna cost the same regardless if the previous renters were there 3 nights or 14 nights.  Including it with the rental cost will mean they need to charge more per night for shorter rentals if the owner doesn't want to lose money.

JayhawkCO

Or at least the cleaning fees not being included on the price you see when you first search. I've seen $79 places with $100 cleaning fees. That's effed.

SSOWorld

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 04, 2024, 04:49:25 PM

Or at least the cleaning fees not being included on the price you see when you first search. I've seen $79 places with $100 cleaning fees. That's effed.
Tips
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2024, 04:12:30 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 04, 2024, 01:23:26 PM

I'm ok with this one, within reason.  Some people are slobs and leave houses in atrocious condition. Other fees are just add-ons for no reason other than pure profit.

I'm not. It's part of the cost of doing business and should be wrapped into the regular rate.

A house that needs cleaning is gonna cost the same regardless if the previous renters were there 3 nights or 14 nights.  Including it with the rental cost will mean they need to charge more per night for shorter rentals if the owner doesn't want to lose money.

True, and I'd be more amenable if such fees weren't deceptive and hidden, which in my experience is the general case.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hotdogPi

Uber has a driver able to hit a "customer left a mess" button and charge for that (and it can be disputed). No automatic charges.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

elsmere241

When your wife buys lunch at a museum cafeteria, and doesn't notice the prices, and gets shocked by the total.

Rothman

I have only experienced the latter
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 04, 2024, 06:28:53 PMWhen your wife buys lunch at a museum cafeteria, and doesn't notice the prices, and gets shocked by the total.

I needed this laugh today.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 04, 2024, 06:28:53 PMWhen your wife buys lunch at a museum cafeteria, and doesn't notice the prices, and gets shocked by the total.

I wish I had "doesn't have to read the prices" money.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

vdeane

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 03, 2024, 10:09:23 PMDon't get me started on the government of Canada making it law, which means that in the case of Facebook where they block links to Canadian media, fake news spread much more easily.
Not just Canadian media.  Browsing Northeast Roads is quite surreal when half the posts get "news is forbidden in Canada" or whatever the exact phrasing is.  There's one post where I only know what it's about because Scott Kozel's rant comment on the post included sufficient detail to figure out what was going on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

elsmere241

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 04, 2024, 08:57:29 PM

I wish I had "doesn't have to read the prices" money.

We don't!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 04, 2024, 05:50:21 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 04, 2024, 04:49:25 PM

Tips

Not the same thing. When you eat at a restaurant, you can mentally add 20% to the price. When I look at an Airbnb, I can't begin to guess what the cleaning fee will be - somewhere between 2 and 200%.

GaryV

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 05, 2024, 08:59:52 AMAirbnb, I can't begin to guess what the cleaning fee will be

Don't they tell you the fee before you hit Submit?

J N Winkler

Quote from: GaryV on May 05, 2024, 01:35:37 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 05, 2024, 08:59:52 AMAirbnb, I can't begin to guess what the cleaning fee will be

That was how it worked in 2016, the last time I tried to use Airbnb.  (I was rejected by the hosts I picked out.)  The problem is that the cleaning fee is not included in the total charge in a way that allows potential Airbnb lodgings to be sorted on the basis of total cost per night.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 05, 2024, 01:41:13 PM

That was how it worked in 2016, the last time I tried to use Airbnb.  (I was rejected by the hosts I picked out.)  The problem is that the cleaning charge is not included in the total charge in a way that allows potential Airbnb lodgings to be sorted on the basis of total cost per night.

Exactly. It's after clicking through. When I look at map view and I see 12 properties listed under $100, it's completely possible that zero of them will remain under $100 after cleaning fees. Or it's possible all of them will. It's a crapshoot.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 05, 2024, 01:44:24 PM

That was how it worked in 2016, the last time I tried to use Airbnb.  (I was rejected by the hosts I picked out.)  The problem is that the cleaning charge is not included in the total charge in a way that allows potential Airbnb lodgings to be sorted on the basis of total cost per night.

Exactly. It's after clicking through. When I look at map view and I see 12 properties listed under $100, it's completely possible that zero of them will remain under $100 after cleaning fees. Or it's possible all of them will. It's a crapshoot.

Pfft.  In my experience, none of them will remain under $100.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Rothman on May 05, 2024, 10:06:48 PM

I have been using AirBNB and Vrbo for years and any fees are detailed long before reserving. Is it annoying that fees aren't built into the pricing?  Yeah. But it's not some sort of surprise charge.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 06, 2024, 07:56:59 AM

I have been using AirBNB and Vrbo for years and any fees are detailed long before reserving. Is it annoying that fees aren't built into the pricing?  Yeah. But it's not some sort of surprise charge.

Never said it was a surprise, but when you're looking for a place to stay, you get 40 search results, and they all look like reasonable choices based on the thumbnails, map, etc., needing to click onto each property to get the total price is pretty annoying.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 06, 2024, 09:03:09 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 06, 2024, 07:56:59 AM

Never said it was a surprise, but when you're looking for a place to stay, you get 40 search results, and they all look like reasonable choices based on the thumbnails, map, etc., needing to click onto each property to get the total price is pretty annoying.

You should be clicking on each property to view the pictures and description anyway. Full costs, fees and charges are part of this search. Just like hotels with resort fees, the charges are often not subject to the percentage commission that AirBnB takes from the nightly rate.  Blame the site for the game; not the players.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 06, 2024, 10:14:08 AMYou should be clicking on each property to view the pictures and description anyway. Full costs, fees and charges are part of this search. Just like hotels with resort fees, the charges are often not subject to the percentage commission that AirBnB takes from the nightly rate.  Blame the site for the game; not the players.

Sigh. I do click the links for pics and descriptions as well. But it's nice to at least be able to narrow down the options to ones that fit in the price range I want. Shit, I can just say "Room in France" and click through the 180,000 listings or whatever, but it'd be obviously far more helpful if I could say "Hey, I want to be in this area of Paris and pay between $100-$150 all in", but I can't do that. I can try by selecting anything between $75-$140 "base price", but I'll inevitably find a whole bunch that jump out of the price range by the time you add the fees.

As to who gets the blame, the site or the players? Both, since some of the players have a $100 room and a $200 cleaning fee. That's absolutely absurd -- a) having the price increase by 200% from what was "advertised" and b) claiming that it costs $200 to clean a room.

elsmere241

When the mail on my block gets delivered one house off.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 06, 2024, 10:14:08 AMYou should be clicking on each property to view the pictures and description anyway. Full costs, fees and charges are part of this search. Just like hotels with resort fees, the charges are often not subject to the percentage commission that AirBnB takes from the nightly rate.  Blame the site for the game; not the players.

I'm with JayhawkCO on this one.  I don't care if Airbnb hosts use inflated cleaning charges to lock in profit, like the airlines do with baggage fees or online sellers do with shipping charges--I just want to be able to see the total cost per night up front.  It should be possible for them to do this when search parameters include length of stay.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 06, 2024, 01:20:50 PMWhen the mail on my block gets delivered one house off.

I hardly ever get that.  Instead I get mail delivered for my house number, but several avenues off.
I love being the final block delivery for USPS.  /s

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 06, 2024, 01:53:51 PM

I'm with JayhawkCO on this one.  I don't care if Airbnb hosts use inflated cleaning charges to lock in profit, like the airlines do with baggage fees or online sellers do with shipping charges--I just want to be able to see the total cost per night up front.  It should be possible for them to do this when search parameters include length of stay.

Short of it is that they like presenting one price to lure you in before they hit you with the real one.  It's annoying, frustrating and an inconvenience not easily tolerated.

Scott5114

Unfortunately, a lot of hotels are doing this too, but instead of cleaning fees, they're "resort fees".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.