News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What is the largest road sign that you have seen?

Started by eagle14410, March 20, 2012, 09:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle14410

I was wondering what the largest road sign that anyone has seen?

mgk920

The I-95 shields on the New England Thruway tollgate?

Mike

Ian

Here are some of the larger ones I've seen in my travels...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

rmsandw

http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

PurdueBill

Quote from: rmsandw on March 20, 2012, 10:24:19 PM
NB I-65 near I-80/94; U.S. 6.

Yikes--couldn't they have put the 80/94/6 shields under one direction, since they are all the same?  Especially on the right-hand sign, to trade a little width to decrease the height?  The right-hand one is one of the tallest signs for its width around!

As far as the Mass. signs, the most overdone huge diagrammatic has to be on I-91 approaching MA 2 EB, with 2-mile and 1-mile enormous diagrammatics for a simple one-lane right-hand exit with no option lanes, exit-only lanes, or anything else unusual.  Not sure why they went so wild.  See http://homepage.mac.com/kefkafloyd/valleyroads/91.html  most of the way down for pics.

NE2

Quote from: eagle14410 on March 20, 2012, 09:46:39 PM
Why does it matter whether one of us has seen it?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

eagle14410

I suppose it doesnt......show me whatever you can find! LOL

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2012, 11:23:54 PM
I hear that they grow highway signs in Central Florida as big as the state of Delaware.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alex

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 21, 2012, 12:15:30 AM
I hear that they grow highway signs in Central Florida as big as the state of Delaware.

The state of Delaware had the biggest one posted at one point...

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2012, 11:23:54 PM

if a road sign is put up, and no one sees it, does it still have to be obeyed?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

I don't think they were actually the "biggest" signs I've ever seen, but the ones that came to my mind when I saw this thread were the absurd series of pull-through signs Delaware had on I-95 just south of the I-95/I-295 merge. (I have not been that way in a couple of years and so I don't know if they might have changed any of these as part of the widening project.) I say "absurd" primarily because they had a string of three or four of these all in extremely close proximity, and they come to mind as "big" signs because the portion of the sign with the words is so tiny. I think they seemed a lot bigger than they really were just because of the large amount of green space. Compare to the old sign that used to appear at the I-95/I-895 split northeast of Baltimore (second photo below), which was on the whole probably a "bigger" sign but which I always thought didn't seem as large because of the white dividing lines separating it into "panels."

Pictures from AARoads.com:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 21, 2012, 11:33:55 AM
I don't think they were actually the "biggest" signs I've ever seen, but the ones that came to my mind when I saw this thread were the absurd series of pull-through signs Delaware had on I-95 just south of the I-95/I-295 merge. (I have not been that way in a couple of years and so I don't know if they might have changed any of these as part of the widening project.) I say "absurd" primarily because they had a string of three or four of these all in extremely close proximity, and they come to mind as "big" signs because the portion of the sign with the words is so tiny. I think they seemed a lot bigger than they really were just because of the large amount of green space. Compare to the old sign that used to appear at the I-95/I-895 split northeast of Baltimore (second photo below), which was on the whole probably a "bigger" sign but which I always thought didn't seem as large because of the white dividing lines separating it into "panels."

Those always struck me as overkill, and the number of them, repeated every 1,000 feet or something, ridiculous. When I last drove through (July 2010), the two 80s-based signs were still in place at DE-141. The third was replaced in the 90s, with those Clearviewized by 2010. New sign bridges were added over the ten-lane portion, which eliminated the next two sets. But when you thought the era of those godzilla signs was over, a new one was added ahead of Exit 4A!

1995hoo

Yeah, it was the number of signs more than the size of them that struck me as being silly. They could have had one of those signs at or near the spot where the left lane ended. Even then I think it was unnecessary. The yellow signs in the two images you linked always struck me as stupid because they're not terribly helpful to the average driver–I mean, 2100 feet? Really? Who the heck can visualize 2100 feet?

I don't mind Clearview, but the new pull-through sign in the picture you posted just doesn't look right to me. The exit sign looks OK despite the oddly-sized exit tab, but something doesn't look right about the pull-through sign and I'm not sure what it is. I think it may have to do with the leading and the larger space between  "Baltimore" and the arrows. The sides maybe look a little squeezed too, but that seems to be more common these days (maybe DOTs want to use smaller signs to save money on sheet metal?). As I look at the image multiple times I'm guessing that the reason I dislike it is probably that its dimensions, especially the vertical dimension, look funny next to the other sign.

I stopped going that way several years ago in favor of the I-78 route to New York, so I hadn't seen the new signs. I suppose if I make a daytrip to Philadelphia to see the Springsteen exhibit I'll go that way, though, unless I take Amtrak.

thenetwork

1995hoo

Quote from: thenetwork on March 21, 2012, 03:42:39 PM
Buffalo, NY:

Image is not displaying. I see there is a massive string of characters within the "IMG" tags, but I don't know where to begin trying to edit it!

PHLBOS

Along I-76 west in Upper Merion Twp., PA at the recently-opened EXIT 329 (King of Prussia - Norristown).  The main sign board & lettering (in Clearview) seem abnormally huge; especially since this exit is for a regular street (the ramp terminates at the Gulph Road-Henderson Road intersection).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 20, 2012, 11:05:56 PM

As far as the Mass. signs, the most overdone huge diagrammatic has to be on I-91 approaching MA 2 EB, with 2-mile and 1-mile enormous diagrammatics for a simple one-lane right-hand exit with no option lanes, exit-only lanes, or anything else unusual.  Not sure why they went so wild.  See http://homepage.mac.com/kefkafloyd/valleyroads/91.html  most of the way down for pics.

That location is in Greenfield MA, and is where the I-91 north and MA 2 east overlap splits.  Although the exit to MA 2 east is a "standard" right hand ramp and is fairly simple from a geometric standpoint, the split sees a lot of unfamiliar drivers - especially during the fall foliage season.

As I understand it, about the same time the signs on this section of I-91 were last replaced (in the mid-1990s), the Exit 27 'split' in Greenfield was identified by the locals as having a safety problem due to last minute lane changes.  This would explain MassHighway's rationale for going with diagrammatic signs for this location at that time.

Given the changes in the 2009 MUTCD regarding diagrammatic signs, it will be interesting to see if MassDOT goes back to a 'conventional' sign treatment for this exit when the I-91 signs are next updated, or if they will try to convince FHWA to allow them to replace the existing diagrammatics at this location 'in-kind'.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 21, 2012, 02:18:40 PM

I don't mind Clearview, but the new pull-through sign in the picture you posted just doesn't look right to me. (snip) something doesn't look right about the pull-through sign and I'm not sure what it is. I think it may have to do with the leading and the larger space between  "Baltimore" and the arrows. The sides maybe look a little squeezed too, but that seems to be more common these days (maybe DOTs want to use smaller signs to save money on sheet metal?).

Looks to me like you nailed the issue with this panel.  The space between the legends is correct, but the space between the route shield and the legend is too large, the space between the legend and the arrows is too large, and the top and bottom margins are too small.  In signing parlance, a panel designed like this one is said to have an 'unbalanced' legend.

Regarding the side margins, the MUTCD standards state that margins should be at least equal to the height of the adjacent letters (i.e. 16 inch left and right margins for a 16/12 legend).  However, over time, many state DOTs have discovered that reducing the margin to 75% of the letter height (12 inch for a 16/12 inch legend) results in a reduced panel width (usually a 1 to 1 1/2 foot difference, depending upon the spelling of the legend) without unacceptably compromising legibility.  Several states also have reduced their inter-letter spacing on guide sign legends to 85% to 90% of the FHWA recommended standard as well, again to reduce panel width.

In this case, however, it appears that Delaware went a little too far in economizing on panel size.  Visually, the narrower Clearview font (as opposed to Highway Gothic) only excerbates the "something's not quite right to my eye" apparance of the sign you noted as well.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

okroads

A couple of candidates for the largest sign that I saw Tuesday in North Carolina:

1995hoo

Damn, from my days in the Triangle in the mid-1990s I recognize the last of those as I-40. I was there when the first segment of I-540 opened to traffic (the portion from I-40 to US-70; it didn't get much use except by those of us who wanted to see how fast our cars could go). Back then the sign was a tiny little thing that had nothing but the exit tab and the "NORTH I-540" legend. I don't think it even said "TO US-70" back when it first opened. Quite the change!

The "NORTH" at the bottom of that sign is a bit odd. I know North Carolina likes to put "DOWNTOWN" in all caps when a route takes you to a downtown area, e.g., "Roxboro St DOWNTOWN" at the Roxboro Street exit on I-85. Is the "NORTH" on this sign being used in a similar sense to indicate that I-540 is the best route to Raleigh's northern suburbs off Falls of Neuse Road and areas like that, or do you think it's intended in a manner similar to Jersey's "Shore Points" signs?

hbelkins

If you're talking surface-mounted route markers, Massachusetts has some of the biggest I've ever seen. I've seen some I-495 and Mass 128 signs that look like they are 6 feet wide.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

For ground-mounted signs....  Here's one at the Colombia (NL) border crossing, right where the access road hits highway 2.  I don't know what used to be depicted on the sign, but now it's just a huge expanse of green.
http://g.co/maps/5t9q2
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ian

Quote from: rmsandw on March 20, 2012, 10:24:19 PM
NB I-65 near I-80/94; U.S. 6.

And here I thought this sign was pretty tall!

This one isn't very large per se, but it isn't everyday you come across a ground mounted diagrammatic sign...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Central Avenue

Quote from: Alex on March 21, 2012, 02:01:08 PM

I almost wish there were some unambiguous way to put "Newark" and "Baltimore" on the same line to make for a smaller sign panel.

My first thought was "Newark | Baltimore", but that could potentially be misread as indicating to keep left for Newark and keep right for Baltimore.

Quote from: okroads on March 22, 2012, 07:05:59 AM

I find the juxtaposition of the huge exit 283 sign with the rather small exit 282 sign amusing.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Takumi

Quote from: Central Avenue on March 22, 2012, 05:16:12 PM
I find the juxtaposition of the huge exit 283 sign with the rather small exit 282 sign amusing.

Same.

As for my entry, I'll go with this monster from I-395 in Arlington:
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.