Regional Boards > Northeast

New Jersey

<< < (892/924) > >>

roadman65:

--- Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 05, 2023, 11:15:58 PM ---Perhaps the most surprising thing about these new signs is that some of them have lighting. Thought that was phased out decades ago at this point.

I think part of the confusion westbound right after the toll plaza is that you don't know what the US-1-9-22 sign is for at that point. Are you on US-1&9 South already, or is it an exit ahead? Perhaps some exit tabs (it IS Exit 58A-B) and better signing that its mainline I-78 West Local would help. The roadway configuration kinda sucks there. After all, you have a mainline interstate dropping down to one lane!

--- End quote ---

I agree. It should be signed as an exit with a number. However NJDOT thinks within the box that these are follow up signs for Exit 14 of the Turnpike and therefore distributing all the 14 toll plaza traffic to the many different highways.

The fact that US 1-9-22 are signed as the pull through and I-78 mainline is down to a single lane goes back to before I-78 was completed. Originally all traffic from Exit 14 went mainly to US 1 & 9 SB after exiting the toll road. So this is a holdover from that. Plus NJDOT believes the express I-78 is the mainline like they did on I-95 SB in Fort Lee from the GWB Upper level. If you go from the upper level of the GWB and to the I-95 local you have at NJ 4 the local through lane drop down into a single lane ramp giving you the feeling that you exited I-95 to NJ 4 and then are reentering the freeway again. Of course now it’s NJTA that inherited it, but they, like  NJDOT think then, that most traffic on the Upper Level is using the express lanes and people generally use the Lower Level for local traffic.

Ditto leaving the Exit 14 toll plaza.

Plutonic Panda:
Almost half a billion dollars in fed money coming to NJ for various projects: https://nj.gov/governor/news/news/562023/approved/20230906a.shtml

TheGrassGuy:
Was Industrial Hwy in Carteret ever a 600 county route in Middlesex? One traffic light gantry near the western terminus just has 6, but with the middle and right numbers blanked out.

There is no mention of Industrial Hwy on the Wikipedia article.

Also, Bridge St in Metuchen was formerly signed as CR 669, which was and is Central Avenue in Metuchen. Did CR 669 have multiple spurs like the utter mess that is CR 657?

storm2k:

--- Quote from: TheGrassGuy on September 14, 2023, 12:05:57 AM ---Was Industrial Hwy in Carteret ever a 600 county route in Middlesex? One traffic light gantry near the western terminus just has 6, but with the middle and right numbers blanked out.

Also, Bridge St in Metuchen was formerly signed as CR 669, which was and is Central Avenue in Metuchen. Did CR 669 have multiple spurs like the utter mess that is CR 657?

--- End quote ---

IIRC when the Industrial Hwy was planned there was talk about it being under Middlesex County jurisdiction. However, it ended up staying local with Carteret. However, this was also around the time Exit 12 was redesigned and part of that work was the connection to the Industrial Hwy. Hence they erected the signs with the CR shield on them. Those signs were replaced around 2016-17 and none of them have CR shields on them. They also have the "West Carteret" sign which isn't technically a place (it's just the western half of the borough that's on the other side of the Turnpike, but is not a separate municipality).

One interesting note is that at the two intersections with Roosevelt Ave (it basically does a backwards C around the Industrial Hwy) those signals are maintained by Middlesex County since Roosevelt Ave is a county road. The street name blades on the signal arms show "Industrial Rd" and not "Industrial Hwy"

Alps:

--- Quote from: storm2k on September 14, 2023, 03:31:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheGrassGuy on September 14, 2023, 12:05:57 AM ---Was Industrial Hwy in Carteret ever a 600 county route in Middlesex? One traffic light gantry near the western terminus just has 6, but with the middle and right numbers blanked out.

--- End quote ---

IIRC when the Industrial Hwy was planned there was talk about it being under Middlesex County jurisdiction. However, it ended up staying local with Carteret. However, this was also around the time Exit 12 was redesigned and part of that work was the connection to the Industrial Hwy. Hence they erected the signs with the CR shield on them. Those signs were replaced around 2016-17 and none of them have CR shields on them. They also have the "West Carteret" sign which isn't technically a place (it's just the western half of the borough that's on the other side of the Turnpike, but is not a separate municipality).

One interesting note is that at the two intersections with Roosevelt Ave (it basically does a backwards C around the Industrial Hwy) those signals are maintained by Middlesex County since Roosevelt Ave is a county road. The street name blades on the signal arms show "Industrial Rd" and not "Industrial Hwy"

--- End quote ---
I'll just add that when a road is built, it initiates under the jurisdiction of whoever built it. Any transfer of jurisdiction requires a signed agreement by both parties. Even if the intent all along was to transfer to the 2nd party, a change in leadership, changes in revenue, or just a change of heart can quash it. It's a risk taken on by the constructing agency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version