Regional Boards > Central States

Missouri

<< < (81/96) > >>

fhmiii:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2023, 06:03:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 09:54:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 23, 2023, 02:32:51 PM ---NE is a funny abbreviation

--- End quote ---

wut

--- End quote ---

I don’t know. Just that a Capital N and E together don’t seem right. Sounds better for New England. However, I know that NB is taken in Canada, yes, nothing else is available.

--- End quote ---

State abbreviations are (usually) the first two letters of a state's name, or the normal abbreviation of the state's name.  Nebraska is "NE" because of its first two letters, while South Dakota is "SD" because of how you'd normally abbreviate it.

Missouri should be MI, but Michigan.  So it should be MS, but Mississippi.  So it became MO.

Arizona should be AR, but Arkansas.

Alaska should be AL, but Alabama.  Why it didn't get "AA" or "AS," I'm not certain.  Is American Samoa "AS?"

Also not sure why Pennsylvania is "PA" instead of "PE."  Maybe they didn't want to confuse it with Phys Ed?

Rothman:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLECCmKnrys

MikieTimT:

--- Quote from: fhmiii on September 25, 2023, 06:38:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2023, 06:03:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 09:54:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 23, 2023, 02:32:51 PM ---NE is a funny abbreviation

--- End quote ---

wut

--- End quote ---

I don’t know. Just that a Capital N and E together don’t seem right. Sounds better for New England. However, I know that NB is taken in Canada, yes, nothing else is available.

--- End quote ---

State abbreviations are (usually) the first two letters of a state's name, or the normal abbreviation of the state's name.  Nebraska is "NE" because of its first two letters, while South Dakota is "SD" because of how you'd normally abbreviate it.

Missouri should be MI, but Michigan.  So it should be MS, but Mississippi.  So it became MO.

Arizona should be AR, but Arkansas.

Alaska should be AL, but Alabama.  Why it didn't get "AA" or "AS," I'm not certain.  Is American Samoa "AS?"

Also not sure why Pennsylvania is "PA" instead of "PE."  Maybe they didn't want to confuse it with Phys Ed?

--- End quote ---

I'm sure there was some arbitrary postal department process that distilled the older 3-4 letter abbreviations that existed before the current 2 letter abbreviations came about when zip codes were developed.

https://www.thoughtco.com/state-abbreviations-1691753

kphoger:

--- Quote from: fhmiii on September 25, 2023, 06:38:16 PM ---Also not sure why Pennsylvania is "PA" instead of "PE."  Maybe they didn't want to confuse it with Phys Ed?

--- End quote ---

It was already a longstanding abbreviation for Pennsylvania.  Along with the typical truncation method of abbreviating words (chop it off after a few letters), the contraction method is also quite common (include the final letter).  For example, with first names, James becomes Jas, William becomes Wm, etc.  It was this latter convention that led to Pennsylvania having been abbreviated as Penna and as Pa long before the post office standardized state abbreviations.

--- Quote from: fhmiii on September 25, 2023, 06:38:16 PM ---State abbreviations are (usually) the first two letters of a state's name, or the normal abbreviation of the state's name.  Nebraska is "NE" because of its first two letters

--- End quote ---

Nebraska has traditionally been abbreviated as Neb.  The post office went with NB, but Canada requested that it be changed in 1969, to avoid confusion with New Brunswick.

roadman65:
I’m aware of how Nebraska gots its abbreviation. 

I just said it looks funny. I wasn’t being critical of it. Not saying I agree nor disagree with it.  I’m totally aware it’s logical to use it.

Hey at least it’s better than EWR for Newark, NJ on FAA airport codes. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version