Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhmiii

Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2023, 06:03:33 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 09:54:58 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 23, 2023, 02:32:51 PM
NE is a funny abbreviation

wut

I don't know. Just that a Capital N and E together don't seem right. Sounds better for New England. However, I know that NB is taken in Canada, yes, nothing else is available.

State abbreviations are (usually) the first two letters of a state's name, or the normal abbreviation of the state's name.  Nebraska is "NE" because of its first two letters, while South Dakota is "SD" because of how you'd normally abbreviate it.

Missouri should be MI, but Michigan.  So it should be MS, but Mississippi.  So it became MO.

Arizona should be AR, but Arkansas.

Alaska should be AL, but Alabama.  Why it didn't get "AA" or "AS," I'm not certain.  Is American Samoa "AS?"

Also not sure why Pennsylvania is "PA" instead of "PE."  Maybe they didn't want to confuse it with Phys Ed?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

Quote from: fhmiii on September 25, 2023, 06:38:16 PM

wut

I don't know. Just that a Capital N and E together don't seem right. Sounds better for New England. However, I know that NB is taken in Canada, yes, nothing else is available.

State abbreviations are (usually) the first two letters of a state's name, or the normal abbreviation of the state's name.  Nebraska is "NE" because of its first two letters, while South Dakota is "SD" because of how you'd normally abbreviate it.

Missouri should be MI, but Michigan.  So it should be MS, but Mississippi.  So it became MO.

Alaska should be AL, but Alabama.  Why it didn't get "AA" or "AS," I'm not certain.  Is American Samoa "AS?"

Also not sure why Pennsylvania is "PA" instead of "PE."  Maybe they didn't want to confuse it with Phys Ed?

I'm sure there was some arbitrary postal department process that distilled the older 3-4 letter abbreviations that existed before the current 2 letter abbreviations came about when zip codes were developed.

https://www.thoughtco.com/state-abbreviations-1691753

kphoger

It was already a longstanding abbreviation for Pennsylvania.  Along with the typical truncation method of abbreviating words (chop it off after a few letters), the contraction method is also quite common (include the final letter).  For example, with first names, James becomes Jas, William becomes Wm, etc.  It was this latter convention that led to Pennsylvania having been abbreviated as Penna and as Pa long before the post office standardized state abbreviations.

State abbreviations are (usually) the first two letters of a state's name, or the normal abbreviation of the state's name.  Nebraska is "NE" because of its first two letters

Nebraska has traditionally been abbreviated as Neb.  The post office went with NB, but Canada requested that it be changed in 1969, to avoid confusion with New Brunswick.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

I'm aware of how Nebraska gots its abbreviation. 

I just said it looks funny. I wasn't being critical of it. Not saying I agree nor disagree with it.  I'm totally aware it's logical to use it.

Hey at least it's better than EWR for Newark, NJ on FAA airport codes. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Molandfreak

Prince Edward Island
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

roadman65

Let's talk about Missouri roads again. Abbreviations for states are what they are and let's not hypothesize here. We have the off topic to do that.

I'm all for the I-44 Joplin Welcome Center license plate wall. If anyone visited that facility most likely saw it. If not they have a whole wall with various tags mounted to it inside the facility. It's cool to check out.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

A Welcome Center license plate wall? That's a new one for me. I've never seen one myself, but then again, I have very rarely been at a rest area or welcome center.

bwana39

Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2023, 09:52:22 AM

I just said it looks funny. I wasn't being critical of it. Not saying I agree nor disagree with it.  I'm totally aware it's logical to use it.

EWR is because all the"N" codes are reserved for the  US Navy
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Rothman

Quote from: bwana39 on October 02, 2023, 07:53:30 PM

Then ditch IATA and use ICAO: KEWR.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ilpt4u

Quote from: bwana39 on October 02, 2023, 07:53:30 PM

Same reason Nashville is BNA and New Orleans is MSY, that N reservation for Naval air stations

The fictional yet plausible explanation for how New Orleans got assigned MSY is better than the factual/actual reason: New Orleans and Southern Louisiana is where the Mississippi River Delta is, as it empties into the Gulf of Mexico. A river delta looks like an upper case "Y" letter, and it is the Mississippi River, hence MSY

Factually, the current New Orleans Airport is named for Moisant Stock Yards, which is because a daredevil pilot named John Moisant crashed and died on the agricultural land the airport was later built on

That said, if anyone wants a more detailed airport codes thread, probably better for the Travel board, unless discussing MCI, STL, or other Show-Me State airports

Gnutella

wut

MI(chigan)
M(i)N(nesota)
M(i)S(sissippi)
M(iss)O(uri)
M(on)T(ana)

The Ghostbuster

Can someone tell me anything about the Treemonisha Sculpture at the Interstate 44/Interstate 55 interchange in Saint Louis? I just saw it for the first time today on Google Maps and would like to know more about it.

roadman65

A historic bridge now.

If I'm not mistaken very recently this structure was imploded and traffic shifted onto one of its replacement structures.

I-70 near Rocheport.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 08, 2023, 07:07:26 PM
^We already have a thread on this.  (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28044.msg2868297#msg2868297)

Thanks. I couldn't remember where I saw the info regarding this. Now that I saw this i remember viewing it here in that thread.

Anyway a reminder photo. Many bridges and roads get changed constantly. I'm sure we all manage to capture a moment along a road, not knowing at the time, your picture will be worth something in the future. This was one I was lucky to obtain in 2020 and it's now a historic place in the road enthusiast community.

Funny thing was I was originally going to post this photo in that particular thread, but decided here to do it instead. If I had posted it there I would have saw that and my caption for it would have been different instead of looking for validation on where I saw previous information.

Sheryl Crowe

afguy

I wonder will the final plan include finishing the US 71 Freeway and putting a cap over it similar to the park caps on I-696 in Metro Detroit.

Kansas City plans to reconnect 71 Highway neighborhoods, improve safety
QuoteReconnecting Kansas City neighbors: That's the goal for Mayor Quinton Lucas' U.S. 71 Highway project.

Last August, Kansas City received a $5 million federal grant to study improvements along 71 Highway, particularly from 85th Street to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

City leaders said construction of this east Kansas City highway displaced homeowners and forced businesses to close. Now they're working to reverse the division it's caused "Although we cannot right all past wrongs, we know that we can do better," Lucas said Wednesday. The initial focus for 71 Highway was to give commuters a direct link to downtown Kansas City, but construction in the 1990s caused other issues.

The highway split through neighborhoods and left families in the area to deal with loud traffic and safety concerns. The intersections on 71 Highway are among the city's most dangerous when it comes to crashes. "This is going to connect more neighborhoods. This is going to reinvigorate businesses up and down the Prospect Corridor, which were sorely lost when this highway came through this community," Kansas City councilman Darrell Curls said Wednesday.
https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-plans-to-reconnect-71-highway-neighborhoods-improve-safety/

The Ghostbuster

Are they going to ask the neighborhoods for permission to overturn the court order preventing the signals from being removed at E. Gregory Blvd., E. 59th St., and E. 55th St.? I don't see how any improvements can be implemented to the US 71 corridor between E. 85th St. and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. without the court order being overturned.

rlb2024

Quote from: Gnutella on October 03, 2023, 03:16:15 AM

wut

MI(chigan)
M(i)N(nesota)
M(i)S(sissippi)
M(iss)O(uri)
M(on)T(ana)
Missouri was always abbreviated MO when I was growing up in the days before the standard USPS abbreviations.  It was always "St. Louis, Mo." when we would send mail there.  Pennsylvania was always "Pa."or "Penna.".

fhmiii

Quote from: afguy on October 11, 2023, 05:57:13 PM
I wonder will the final plan include finishing the US 71 Freeway and putting a cap over it similar to the park caps on I-696 in Metro Detroit.

QuoteReconnecting Kansas City neighbors: That's the goal for Mayor Quinton Lucas' U.S. 71 Highway project.

Last August, Kansas City received a $5 million federal grant to study improvements along 71 Highway, particularly from 85th Street to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

City leaders said construction of this east Kansas City highway displaced homeowners and forced businesses to close. Now they're working to reverse the division it's caused "Although we cannot right all past wrongs, we know that we can do better," Lucas said Wednesday. The initial focus for 71 Highway was to give commuters a direct link to downtown Kansas City, but construction in the 1990s caused other issues.

The highway split through neighborhoods and left families in the area to deal with loud traffic and safety concerns. The intersections on 71 Highway are among the city's most dangerous when it comes to crashes. "This is going to connect more neighborhoods. This is going to reinvigorate businesses up and down the Prospect Corridor, which were sorely lost when this highway came through this community," Kansas City councilman Darrell Curls said Wednesday.
https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-plans-to-reconnect-71-highway-neighborhoods-improve-safety/

Fox 4 once again finds a way to spend nearly 5 minutes saying almost nothing.  They just repeated the aspirational language of the politicians but gave no real information.  I looked and KMBC-9 spent 3 minutes doing almost exactly the same thing (while managing to sound ridiculously pretentious about it).

What kind of infrastructure improvements?  Are they planning to build bridges or insert new intersections?  Will US-71 continue to be a major expressway, upgraded to a freeway, or will it be reduced to something more like a parkway?

No wonder so few people watch the local news anymore.  There's so little actual news in it.

mvak36

Quote from: fhmiii on October 12, 2023, 08:34:07 AM
Quote from: afguy on October 11, 2023, 05:57:13 PM

Fox 4 once again finds a way to spend nearly 5 minutes saying almost nothing.  They just repeated the aspirational language of the politicians but gave no real information.  I looked and KMBC-9 spent 3 minutes doing almost exactly the same thing (while managing to sound ridiculously pretentious about it).

What kind of infrastructure improvements?  Are they planning to build bridges or insert new intersections?  Will US-71 continue to be a major expressway, upgraded to a freeway, or will it be reduced to something more like a parkway?

No wonder so few people watch the local news anymore.  There's so little actual news in it.

There is a project in Tier 2 of the Unfunded Needs list (page 22 of the pdf) for 30.25 million. This project is Part 1 of 2. Part 2 of 2 is listed in Tier 3 of the same document (pg 33 of pdf) for $90.75 million. So maybe they are looking to make it a freeway?

Also, I'm not sure how they can do this stuff without the court order being removed so I am curious to see what comes out of this whole thing.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

afguy

It will be interesting to see what they propose. I would imagine since US 71 is the responsibility of MoDOT, Kansas City would have to work with state. I'm hoping MoDOT and the city both join forces to get the court order overturned. If the order was overturned, I could see MoDOT perhaps pursuing a design for US 71 similar to I-35E in St. Paul. On another note, I took this screenshot from Mileage Mike's youtube page and a saw a new overhead sign gantry on I-35. Does any know if MoDOT is adopting these new gantries statewide?
I-70 by Brandon Dolley, on Flickr

mvak36

Quote from: afguy on October 13, 2023, 07:26:47 PM
It will be interesting to see what they propose. I would imagine since US 71 is the responsibility of MoDOT, Kansas City would have to work with state. I'm hoping MoDOT and the city both join forces to get the court order overturned. If the order was overturned, I could see MoDOT perhaps pursuing a design for US 71 similar to I-35E in St. Paul. On another note, I took this screenshot from Mileage Mike's youtube page and a saw a new overhead sign gantry on I-35. Does any know if MoDOT is adopting these new gantries statewide?
I-70 by Brandon Dolley, on Flickr

It looks like they must have changed it for the Buck O'Neil Bridge project.

As for your question, this is what they put in on I-435 during the expansion project 3 years ago: https://maps.app.goo.gl/N5mYvpsRkjfH5P1d6. They have the same at the I-435/I-70 interchange. I am not sure if this gantry was just for this project or if they have this style anywhere else.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

afguy

MoDOT is conducting a conceptual study of possible improvements to I-70 between the Missouri River and North Hanley Road. Money is already budgeted to reconstruct the I-70/I-270 interchange and the St. Charles Rock Rd Bridge over I-70. Public meetings will begin next month with a final conceptual report being released in Fall 2024.

https://www.modot.org/improve-i-70-conceptual-study-st-louis

SkyPesos

Quote from: afguy on October 17, 2023, 04:05:32 PM
MoDOT is conducting a conceptual study of possible improvements to I-70 between the Missouri River and North Hanley Road. Money is already budgeted to reconstruct the I-70/I-270 interchange and the St. Charles Rock Rd Bridge over I-70. Public meetings will begin next month with a final conceptual report being released in Fall 2024.

https://www.modot.org/improve-i-70-conceptual-study-st-louis
Hopefully this includes C/D lanes between MO 141 and I-270. Traffic entering I-70 EB from MO 141 have less than half a mile to cross 3 lanes of (heavy) traffic exiting off to I-270, and vice versa. One of the few instances I've legitimately felt nervous while driving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.