News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

The University Bridge is stuck open because of a transformer failure, just in time for the Huskies home game. Looks real fun down there in the U District.

Bruce

A nice documentary from WSDOT about the I-90 Snoqualmie Pass East project, with the focus on wildlife crossings:

Dougtone

Checking out WA 100 and Cape Disappointment near Ilwaco, Washington, at the southwest corner of Washington State. You will certainly not be disappointed in what WA 100 and Cape Disappointment have to offer. Between a loop highway at the southwestern corner of Washington State, a historic fort, two lighthouses and more, the only disappointing thing was leaving.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/12/washington-state-route-100-and-cape.html

Bruce

Note to self: do not park my car under the Ship Canal Bridge.

The parks under the bridge have closed due to pieces of concrete falling from the bridge deck. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/falling-bits-of-concrete-lead-state-to-shut-parks-under-ship-canal-bridge/

Bruce

Spotted this a while ago on I-405, but we now have a new anti-litter slogan apparently:

pderocco

Quote from: Bruce on December 24, 2021, 03:57:51 AM
Spotted this a while ago on I-405, but we now have a new anti-litter slogan apparently:

I don't recall them ever charging for Washington litter.

kkt

Quote from: pderocco on December 26, 2021, 05:45:52 PM
Quote from: Bruce on December 24, 2021, 03:57:51 AM

I don't recall them ever charging for Washington litter.

:-D

It really should have been hyphenated: "Litter-Free"

Bruce

This week's storm has been a doozy.

All mountain passes closed, leaving SR 14 as the only way across the state. I-5 closed for a bit between Chehalis and Grand Mound due to flooding. Mudslides reported all over western Washington.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: Bruce on January 07, 2022, 06:35:18 PM
This week's storm has been a doozy.

All mountain passes closed, leaving SR 14 as the only way across the state. I-5 closed for a bit between Chehalis and Grand Mound due to flooding. Mudslides reported all over western Washington.

I was visiting my parents in Ellensburg during the storms, including over a foot of snow Wednesday evening through Thursday morning. SR 14 and I-84 through the Gorge were both closed for a little while, so there was a point where any traffic from Eastern to Western Washington would have to go all the way down to Bend, OR, to cross the Cascades. When I left Ellensburg yesterday, there were trucks parked anywhere they could find room, including on the shoulder of Canyon Rd. under exit 109.

Bruce

Snoqualmie and Blewett passes have reopened, first for critical freight and then for general traffic. The surface isn't totally cleared, so there's a posted 45 mph speed limit at the summit. White Pass could open today and Stevens Pass in two days (the latter has some snow slides of up to 35 feet to deal with).

On Sunday, I took a little detour to see the west end of the closure:

Alps

why are these people not turning around and going somewhere that isn't sleeping in their cars

Bruce

Quote from: Alps on January 10, 2022, 07:27:22 PM
why are these people not turning around and going somewhere that isn't sleeping in their cars

At the time, the only viable route was WA 14, a 230-mile detour.

I really don't understand it myself, as staying in Seattle or the eastern suburbs would be a better option for the non-trucks. Cheaper food and fuel, things to keep you occupied, and it's not like the reopening information won't be posted online or via the radio.

kkt

I used to have a coworker who lived in North Bend and commuted to North Seattle.  Once or twice a year I-90 would close before she could get home for the night.  Then one time I-90 closed in both directions leaving her stuck in Bellevue.  All hotels were full.  Fortunately she had a different co-worker's phone number who let her stay on their couch, a much better option than sleeping in the car.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on January 10, 2022, 09:30:22 PM
I used to have a coworker who lived in North Bend and commuted to North Seattle.  Once or twice a year I-90 would close before she could get home for the night.  Then one time I-90 closed in both directions leaving her stuck in Bellevue.  All hotels were full.  Fortunately she had a different co-worker's phone number who let her stay on their couch, a much better option than sleeping in the car.

Was it common for I-90 to close west of North Bend? I always thought it closed near Tanner.

kkt

Once or twice a year was her experience.  Not often enough to be worth moving.  They liked skiing.

stevashe

I honestly can't ever remember a formal closure for snow west of North Bend in the past 15-20 years, so what she was referring to must have been due to accidents, or just being impractical to make it up the hills to North Bend in the snow storm. Plus unlike the pass, there are alternate routes to get to North Bend like SR 202, so I-90 being closed wouldn't strand her in itself, it seems more like she just didn't want to risk getting stuck (which is probably the right move given how many cars seem to end up abandoned on the side of the road when a snow storm messes up the evening commute here).

jakeroot

^^^
I had the same thoughts, I don't see why interstate 90 would have been closed west of North bend for weather. I get certain spots like Tiger Mountain, but I-90 in general isn't high enough at any point west of North Bend have any regular snow that would cause even twice-a-year closures.

Great Lakes Roads

Here's a video of the Traffic and Mobility Improvements along I-5 in the Centralia/Chehalis area.

jakeroot

State-named shields in that video. I think there may be a roadgeek running the graphics department!

Bruce

Sound Transit has approved its share of funding for the redeveloped I-405 / NE 85th Street interchange in Kirkland as part of the Stride bus rapid transit program. The existing cloverleaf will be demolished and replaced by a three-level interchange with a dogbone for regular traffic and an upper level for BRT and toll lane traffic. It is scheduled to open in 2026.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/triple-deck-287m-kirkland-interchange-gets-sound-transits-green-light/

jakeroot

Can anyone explain why the ramps are all bulbous? That seems like it would be really awkward to navigate.

Overall, it seems so over the top and unnecessary.

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on January 30, 2022, 12:02:11 AM
Can anyone explain why the ramps are all bulbous? That seems like it would be really awkward to navigate.

Overall, it seems so over the top and unnecessary.
It looks like it'd flow super-well for the HOV and BRT traffic they're trying to prioritize, and otherwise it's just a standard diamond.

thefraze_1020

There are two button-copy I-405 BGS's on the overpass, seen heading each way on 85th. Someone needs to convince WSDOT to save them!
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

compdude787

I love how British that interchange will be.

Algorithm

Hopefully it won't end up looking like the diagram; having two lanes at the far ends of the lower dogbone is just asking for collisions.  People will think "hey, I need to turn left, so I should be in the left lane" and then need to cut through three lanes of merging traffic at the last minute.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.