News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 21, 2016, 10:31:40 AM
Might as well just call it a bus lane.

It would be mildly amusing to see some older 60s whale car with front benches packed with 6 people just spit in the eye that silly HOV requirement.

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on July 21, 2016, 07:09:16 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2016, 12:39:27 AM
I thought the 6+ HOV requirement was a design error as well, but apparently it's not. All of the other HOV signs along Willingdon Ave have "6+" on them.

Wow! A lot of cars don't even have 6 seats! The highest HOV I've personally seen in Ontario is 3+
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2016, 11:03:49 AM

It would be mildly amusing to see some older 60s whale car with front benches packed with 6 people just spit in the eye that silly HOV requirement.

The nice thing with the 6+ requirement is that it excludes most private vehicles, but it includes large vehicles that might otherwise be excluded from bus lanes. In other words, it's more of a bus + shuttle lane.

FWIW, Hwy 1's HOV lane is 2+ (as are most other HOV facilities in the Lower Mainland).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2016, 01:01:38 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 21, 2016, 07:09:16 AM
I thought the 6+ HOV requirement was a design error as well, but apparently it's not. All of the other HOV signs along Willingdon Ave have "6+" on them.

Wow! A lot of cars don't even have 6 seats! The highest HOV I've personally seen in Ontario is 3+
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2016, 11:03:49 AM

The nice thing with the 6+ requirement is that it excludes most private vehicles, but it includes large vehicles that might otherwise be excluded from bus lanes. In other words, it's more of a bus + shuttle lane.

FWIW, Hwy 1's HOV lane is 2+ (as are most other HOV facilities in the Lower Mainland).

It is a little ridiculous to say 6+...then use an image of a small car with 2 heads in it.

Across the street, I noticed there are a few signs that say Vanpools (with a picture that looks like a van or a small bus), and Motorcyclists can use the lane as well.

BTW, which lane?  The sign doesn't say!  Even in the link, turn the image around and you'll see the right lane appears to be for turning vehicles only as well...which makes the sign placement not valid anyway (at least without the "And Right Turns" supplement.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2016, 01:01:38 PM

I wonder... where outside North America is a car with two people considered "high occupancy"?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

lordsutch

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2016, 01:18:27 PM
I wonder... where outside North America is a car with two people considered "high occupancy"?

Probably more places than you'd think. The commuter vehicle occupancy rate in England and Wales is 1.09 persons per vehicle - and England and Wales is (are) one of the densest, most transit-oriented jurisdictions in the world, with much better bus and rail transportation than the United States, even in rural areas. Even London - with terrible traffic, a virtually nonexistent freeway and expressway system inside its perpetually-jammed beltway, and a daily congestion charge covering the central business district - only has a 49.9% transit share.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 21, 2016, 01:10:50 PM
It is a little ridiculous to say 6+...then use an image of a small car with 2 heads in it.

That's the standard "HOV" symbol, used by both WSDOT and the BCMOT (both use nearly identical signage). Always two heads, to indicate high-occupancy (then again, how many passenger vehicles permit more than two passengers up-front? -- definitely hard to illustrate exactly six or more people).

Across the street, I noticed there are a few signs that say Vanpools (with a picture that looks like a van or a small bus), and Motorcyclists can use the lane as well.

BTW, which lane?  The sign doesn't say!  Even in the link, turn the image around and you'll see the right lane appears to be for turning vehicles only as well...which makes the sign placement not valid anyway (at least without the "And Right Turns" supplement.)

The right lane becomes HOV (again) immediately after the right turn, so they put the sign up where it is warn drivers of the impending restrictions (should they choose to continue straight-on -- technically, those turning right are not driving in an HOV lane -- the HOV lane ended right before the right turn lane, and starts again immediately after). The lane does have the standard diamond markings before and after the right-turn-only lane, as well as longer, more closely-spaced white lines (used in Canada to separate lanes that are doing two different things). Could the signage be better? Sure, but it's consistent with the rest of the HOV signage in the area, so I'm not complaining.

J N Winkler

Quote from: lordsutch on July 21, 2016, 06:09:06 PMProbably more places than you'd think. The commuter vehicle occupancy rate in England and Wales is 1.09 persons per vehicle - and England and Wales is (are) one of the densest, most transit-oriented jurisdictions in the world, with much better bus and rail transportation than the United States, even in rural areas. Even London - with terrible traffic, a virtually nonexistent freeway and expressway system inside its perpetually-jammed beltway, and a daily congestion charge covering the central business district - only has a 49.9% transit share.

Britain now has a standard (still nonprescribed, IIRC) HOV symbol similar to the one used in Washington state, although the car outline looks like a Mini viewed from behind.  By default it says "2+."  (There are some examples, with drawings, in the online DfT signs authorizations database.)

I am not aware of any examples of motorway HOV lanes analogous to what we have in the US, but in some places HOV signing has been used to allow high-occupancy vehicles to share bus lanes on surface roads.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2016, 06:36:26 PM

That's the standard "HOV" symbol, used by both WSDOT and the BCMOT (both use nearly identical signage). Always two heads, to indicate high-occupancy

Need to clarify here. WSDOT, generally, does not use the vehicle shape with heads. The BCMOT does use the vehicle shape with heads, but also uses the vehicle shape with passenger restrictions inside of it. Seems to be about half and half. The symbol with the heads is used on the freeways, with supplementary signs listing the exact restriction. Urban HOV lanes generally use the shape with the restriction inside of it.

formulanone

Inflated sense of directional tab:

Not sure if this was posted before, but...on our next episode of As The State Turns:

(Also, green background for the arrow used under the I-95 shield, but there's dozens of that error in Florida.)

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on July 24, 2016, 06:51:03 AM

Not sure if this was posted before, but...on our next episode of As The State Turns:

(Also, green background for the arrow used under the I-95 shield, but there's dozens of that error in Florida.)
The map of Florida on the Florida's Turnpike sign is backward, too.

formulanone

Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 24, 2016, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: formulanone on July 24, 2016, 06:51:03 AM

The map of Florida on the Florida's Turnpike sign is backward, too.

I was alluding to that...

hbelkins

I can see how it might be easy to get the Ohio outline backwards -- I've seen examples of that -- but FLORIDA????

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jwolfer

This guide sign in Burnaby, BC has a black right arrow. The turn towards Hwy 1 West used to be to the left, and the sign featured a black-on-orange "construction" temp arrow, but once the construction ended, they removed the temp arrow, only to replace it with another black arrow, albeit one lacking an orange background.

https://goo.gl/PHqtUe

Restricted to commuter vans or huge families

jwolfer

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2016, 03:48:17 PM
I can see how it might be easy to get the Ohio outline backwards -- I've seen examples of that -- but FLORIDA????
I have seen some horribly misshapen Floridas on shields . I have to get some pics.  I liked the keys shields but that is going back 30+ years.. quite a few remain around Clay County

mrsman

Quote from: jwolfer on July 25, 2016, 02:26:12 AM
This guide sign in Burnaby, BC has a black right arrow. The turn towards Hwy 1 West used to be to the left, and the sign featured a black-on-orange "construction" temp arrow, but once the construction ended, they removed the temp arrow, only to replace it with another black arrow, albeit one lacking an orange background.

https://goo.gl/PHqtUe

Restricted to commuter vans or huge families

I am grateful to see a lane like this.  Essentially a bus lane that is open to private buses and shuttles. 

In Chicago there is a lot of fights over private buses and shuttles between Union Station and Michigan Ave that they should not use the bus only lanes that are limited to public transit.  Other cities have similar issues.  IMO, private vehicles that take 6 or more people at a time do just as much to help congestion as the public transit buses and should be given similar priority.

national highway 1

From the 'Exit Number Challenge' thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17867.msg2161152#msg2161152

The WY 218 shield digits are in Arial/Helvetica font.
The font weight of the legend for 'Harriman Rd' looks way off. Anyone who knows what font weight it is? Could be Series F, but I'm not 100% sure.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

SignBridge

jbnv

Quote from: national highway 1 on July 29, 2016, 12:24:19 AM
The font weight of the legend for 'Harriman Rd' looks way off. Anyone who knows what font weight it is? Could be Series F, but I'm not 100% sure.

Whatever disease it has is in Baton Rouge as well.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SignGeek101

Helvetica is the first thing that jumps out at me (the route shield I mean). So wrong arrow, and wrong fonts. Well done!  :clap:

vtk

That's either Series F with condensed interletter spacing, or a wide bold species of the commercial font family Interstate.

Quote from: jbnv on July 29, 2016, 11:06:55 PM

Whatever disease it has is in Baton Rouge as well.

My first thought was that "Main" is the PixSymbols version of Series D, but more likely it's Series C stretched out a bit horizontally.  The little "St" is probably either Series C horizontally squished a bit, or Helvetica horizontally squished a lot.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ekt8750

Looks like someone took E Modified, reduced the kerning and added additional stroke to the characters in Illustrator.

freebrickproductions

Found this on Facebook, it's apparently in Cumberland, MD:

The acorn US shield strikes again!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

Maryland must have borrowed one of PA's acorns!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quillz

I often wonder how contractors can get so creative with their errors. And how brain-dead some of them must be.

jbnv

Downtown New Orleans has contracted a serious case of the oversized-capitals disease. This is just one example of many.

St. Charles Street Sign by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.