AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 02:38:14 PM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by LilianaUwU
60 km/h

Yes. It's on former TCH 1 (now PE 27) in Cornwall, Prince Edward Island.

on: Today at 02:34:42 PM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by jlam
60 km/h

on: Today at 02:32:39 PM 
Started by Alps - Last post by cpzilliacus
Official BWI Airport press release:

Sheetz to Develop First Anne Arundel County Store Location at BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport

Sheetz, a major Mid-Atlantic restaurant and convenience chain, will build a
new store location at the intersection of Aviation Boulevard and Amtrak Way, on
the northwest side of the airport. The new location will sit at the approximately
4-acre site near the BWI Rail Station and the airport’s consolidated rental car
facility. Sheetz was voted Best Regional Fast Food Chain by USA Today in 2020.

“We are excited to welcome Sheetz to the airport and the local community,”
said Ricky Smith, Executive Director of BWI Marshall Airport. “The new store
location will offer excellent service for our passengers, rental car customers,
employees, and local residents. The popular, high quality Sheetz brand will reinforce
our commitment to offer a convenient, modern airport with outstanding amenities.”

on: Today at 02:29:15 PM 
Started by index - Last post by index
In no particular order, I have a few songs I think of whenever I'm on a specific part of a road:
  • The Dandy Warhols - "Wonderful You" - US 321 between Boone and Blowing Rock. This is the song I was listening to when I first drove that stretch of highway. It's catchy and good to speed along to in my opinion.
  • Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - "Falling Thunder" - Blue Ridge Parkway. I think it goes really well just cruising along this road, and I listened to it my first time driving it solo.
  • You know who they are - "Free Bird" - NC 194 from US 19E into Banner Elk. I listened to this song while speeding perhaps too fast on this road at 1 AM. I was coming back from Tennessee, having a late night drive to blow off some steam a few months ago after I had a rift with a friend.
  • The Black Keys - "Weight of Love" and "Bullet in the Brain" - I-40/85, AKA "Death Valley". Listened to these driving this road solo for the first time.
  • The Dandy Warhols - "Now You Love Me" - Any part of I-40 in North Carolina
  • Immigrant Union - "Ahmed" - Listened to this on an overcast evening driving on the HRBT. I thought the feel/sound of the song fit the atmosphere.
Before anyone points that out, yes, there is this thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2901.msg64617#msg64617
But it's over a decade old and doesn't mention routes or parts of routes specifically.

on: Today at 02:27:12 PM 

No.

on: Today at 02:26:30 PM 
Started by NE2 - Last post by Scott5114
Using the same shield type for every highway in a given area.

The offenders of this are typically small scale organization or businesses, from what I've seen.

It annoys me that OSM does this. I notice in the US, OSM writes out "US 20" and "I-79" in the shields to make it unambiguous, but they don't do the same in Ontario. This makes it impossible to distinguish provincial highways from regional/County roads. Particularly bad is in Kitchener, where RR 8 runs beside ON 8, OSM shows both as "8" in the same rectangular icon.

Edit: there are few spots where it says "RR 17", instead of "17", but it's very sporadic.

This is another unfortunate side effect of OSM being built by European developers—those rectangles were intended to hold things like "A380" or "M6", and don't really work well with the shield system used in North America. (You'd think if you were going to create a system to build a world map you'd do a bit of research on that first.)

You could always go in there and edit it to be more like the way highways in the US are marked, but that would likely take a while, and it's possible you'd get some dolts who don't realize why the current system sucks reverting you.

on: Today at 02:26:21 PM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by plain

on: Today at 02:23:07 PM 
Started by SkyPesos - Last post by SkyPesos
I-65?

Also, modifying the 48 hour rule to 24 hours, to keep the game moving.
New rule: If your entry haven’t been correctly guessed after 24 hours, you have to reveal which Forum Region (Ohio Valley, Mid South, Pacific Southwest, etc) it is in.

on: Today at 02:19:40 PM 
Alright, here's mine, in km/h:

on: Today at 02:19:37 PM 
Started by mightyace - Last post by cpzilliacus
What's the likelihood of someone being caught? I'm 1 for 1 in avoidance, btw!  :thumbsup:

It's been some time since I worked at Dulles Airport, but when our offices were not in the airport we often had several meetings or projects and sometimes had to go there several times a day.  Cars that enter and exit the frequently were watched carefully, as were vehicles that came in on the DAAR and never dropped off/picked up passengers or entered paid parking.  We were always on the target list, and were instructed to keep our "airport business" paperwork handy in the front seat to verify our status.  We had some employees that weren't working on MWAA projects who would try to piggyback on our airport project status and did get stopped.  Not sure if they ever got any tickets.

Our main office moved back "on campus" at the airport, which meant that all of us were cleared with parking passes.  After I moved to North Carolina, I had the additional issue of having out-of-state tags while working "on campus", inside the airport itself, and also at offices in National Airport and Tysons Corner.  It got dicey when I would need to go into the office for a few minutes, then back off campus.  Eventually, I got a high-level airport clearance and was treated like an airport employee afterwards (and also had to work closely with MWAA Police).

All that being said, I would think that the chances of getting caught using the DAAR improperly are pretty good.

1. If you are cleared enough to have an airport badge, then I think you will be left alone (I
have had them for DCA, IAD and BWI - at the same time - an idiot security guard at
Dulles wanted to know why and I told the guard because "I need them for my job").

2.  MWAA considers it part of the job of its police force to look for drivers illegally using the Dulles
Airport Access Road (especially "backtracking" through the airport but also crossing the airport
property from the VA-606 back entrance to illegally enter the DAAR) and they have gotten
tougher about it since MWAA took over the Dulles Toll Road to collect tolls to pay for the train
line to Dulles, since using the DAAR is a form of toll evasion, though I do not think they cite
DAAR violators for that. Signs at the entrances to the DAAR clearly state "Airport use only"
(or similar) and "other uses prohibited" at its entrances.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.