News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Barack Obama Freeway?

Started by ComputerGuy, January 18, 2009, 02:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyK

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2010, 10:14:51 PM
each time we name something after our 44th president, we must name something else after our 55th.

no renamings allowed, so you'd better get it right.

Just for that 2nd part.  If we go and name a highway after the man, and then he does something dispicable in the eyes of most Americans, we'll have to name it again.  See the Mark McGuire ... errr Mark Twain freeway in St. Louis! 

mgk920

And besides, what if he turns out to be a complete failure?  How many 'Jimmy Carter' or 'Bill Clinton' Freeways (or other notable things) are there, even in their home states?

Mike

papaT10932

I disagree with most people. I think we don't name roads, etc. after people OFTEN ENOUGH. In keeping with the tradition of the other Hudson River Crossings (The Franklin D Roosevelt- Mid Hudson Bridge, the Hamilton Fish- Newbugh Beacon Bridge and the Malcolm Wilson- Tappan Zee Bridge) This is my proposal for the GWB:

The Barack Obama Eliot Spitzer David Patterson Henry Hudson Madonna Rudy Guliani Captain Kangaroo Millard Fillmore Elvis Presley Larry King Denver the Lost Dinosaur Charlie Brown Adam and Eve Dion and the Belmonts Andrew Jackson Uncle Floyd Harry Truman Moses Hurricane Agnes Clark Gable Henry Ford Sally Jesse Raphael Korean War Veterans Memorial - George Washington Bridge.

:-D :-D :-D

US71

Quote from: papaT10932 on May 04, 2010, 01:59:25 PM
I disagree with most people. I think we don't name roads, etc. after people OFTEN ENOUGH.

You're right! We need more Dr Martin Luther King Jr Streets ;)

Or, as I saw in Mississippi back in March: DRMLKST  :biggrin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ShawnP

Not in my party but if BO can get I-49 built from Ft. Smith to Texarkana I'd say name it for him.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mgk920 on May 04, 2010, 12:08:01 PM
And besides, what if he turns out to be a complete failure?  How many 'Jimmy Carter' or 'Bill Clinton' Freeways (or other notable things) are there, even in their home states?

Mike

Jimmy Carter got a librairy and the Freedom parkway was shortly once named "Jimmy Carter parkway" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_Library_and_Museum 

Not a president, but the ill-fated mayor de Detroit Coleman A. Young got the City airport and the city hall named after him.

agentsteel53

Clinton was a successful president.  That whole "let's cram a house down everyone's throat even if they can't afford it" deal only blew up in the country's face well after his successor, from a rival party, was in office - and said successor has taken the brunt of the blame.  If that's not political success, I don't know what is.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: US71 on May 04, 2010, 04:13:18 PM
I disagree with most people. I think we don't name roads, etc. after people OFTEN ENOUGH.

Or, as I saw in Mississippi back in March: DRMLKST  :biggrin:
I always thought the way they have it signed on I-630 in Little Rock is interesting. The words "King" and "Dr." are in big letters while "Dr. Martin Luther" and "Jr." are in small letters. Most locals just say "MLK" or some older ones might still call it "High St.".

US71

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 04, 2010, 11:49:23 PM

I always thought the way they have it signed on I-630 in Little Rock is interesting. The words "King" and "Dr." are in big letters while "Dr. Martin Luther" and "Jr." are in small letters. Most locals just say "MLK" or some older ones might still call it "High St.".

West Memphis is the same way along I-55 :

Dr Martin Luther King Jr Dr

BigMattFromTexas

He can have some pot-hole infested street that no one drives on...
BigMatt

bulldog1979

There's quite the history related to the MLK Blvd in Lansing, MI in the late 1980s. A religious group proposed renaming Logan Street for the late civil rights leader, but the proposal wasn't well received. A second proposal was to rename Allegan Street since it was shorter, ran through the historic black neighborhood and wouldn't impact as many people with the renaming. That idea was even less well received. Allegan Street is one of a number of east-west streets in Lansing named for the counties of Michigan when the city was platted in 1847. A third proposal was to rename the entire Capitol Loop in King's honor. The last idea failed because MDOT had just designed the unique Capitol Loop markers and was about to install them.

Finally, they went back to the first plan and modified it. Logan Street was dual-named for King and General John A. Logan, a Civil War general from Michigan. The street was dual-named until 1994, when the Logan name was dropped.

Chris

Was the Ronald Reagan Freeway (CA 118) named after him while he was still in office?

papaT10932

Quote from: US71 on May 04, 2010, 04:13:18 PM

Bless his heart, my dad always used to say, "How come there aren't any LYNDON JOHNSON BLVDs?!?"

US71

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: Chris on May 05, 2010, 04:58:32 AM
Was the Ronald Reagan Freeway (CA 118) named after him while he was still in office?
No. It was named for him in 1994, 5 years after he left office.

bugo

What about the Ronald Reagan highway in Cincinnati?

andrewkbrown

Quote from: bugo on May 06, 2010, 08:48:48 PM
What about the Ronald Reagan highway in Cincinnati?

The official name dedication was 1994, replacing Cross County Highway. Total highway was complete in 1997.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

golden eagle

There's the Ronald Reagan Parkway in Snellville, GA. It opened in the 90s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.