News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Barack Obama Freeway?

Started by ComputerGuy, January 18, 2009, 02:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComputerGuy

Maybe in Chicago they could rename a freeway or highway in honor of Barack?

Chris

It's Chicago, so I guess it would be an "expressway" ;) (although they have one freeway, the "Bishop Ford Freeway")

However, it's too soon in my opinion. I would suggest renaming freeways/expressways after his presidency.

John

Yeah I agree, although there is a George Bush Turnpike in Texas.
They came, they went, they took my image...

Alex

Quote from: John on January 18, 2009, 02:20:01 PM
Yeah, although there is a George Bush Expy in Texas.

There's the President George Bush Turnpike, but its named for his father.
We started a guide for it but have not finished it nor made what was done public: https://www.aaroads.com/texas/pgb_tpk.html
A few trailblazers are pictured there (old and new designs).

Chris

George Bush Turnpike, but I believe that one's named after George H.W. Bush, and not the current U.S. president. Although it might be named after Bush sr. when he was still in office.

edit: just too late ;)

Anthony_JK

Considering that he will be the first President of color, it would be worthy...but probably better to wait until he is out of office.

And...I don't think that Chicagoans would like to give up the Dan Ryan or the Stevenson monikers for their freeways.  More likely, a boulevard or major city street.

Anthony

deathtopumpkins

heh, my next freeway in SimCity 4 will now be named the Barack Obama Freeway.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Chris

Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 18, 2009, 10:14:21 PM
And...I don't think that Chicagoans would like to give up the Dan Ryan or the Stevenson monikers for their freeways.  More likely, a boulevard or major city street.

Rename the Eisenhower, that way Chicago has no Republican expressways anymore  :)

Bryant5493

I'm sure President Obama will get something in the state he represented named in his honor: a major thoroughfare, building, etc.
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Freewayjim

Rename I-395 within the DC city limits after him once he leaves office, even if he's a bust as a president he will always be a historical figure and deserve the recognition.
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

Duke87

Personally, it bothers me that daddy Bush already has stuff named after him.
Isn't it supposed to be proper etiquette that you don't name something after someone who's still alive?

Go ahead and name something after Barack, by all means, but wait for him to die first.
Oh, and make it something new. Don't rename something that already has a perfectly good name. *glares at Triborough Robert F. Kennedy Bridge*
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

I'm sick of naming things after people.  Triboro Bridge is fine.  Or Triborough?  Well, it would be fine if I knew how to spell it. 

*casually attempts to book a trip to Idlewild Airport, fails, and throws himself headlong off the Danielle Van Dam Memorial Overpass*
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

New York is divided in boroughs, so it's the Triborough bridge  :colorful:

agentsteel53

I've seen it seen "Boro" in a lot of places... there was a movement in the early 20th century to simplify American place names - it resulted in Pittsburgh being renamed to Pittsburg.  Some places kept the change, others did not.  There is now a Pittsburg in California, and a Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.  Marlboro cigarettes exist, but the town in Massachusetts is Marlborough.  It's next to Worcester, which is not to be confused with Wooster, Ohio.

that's not a lopsided image crop, or a fold in his uniform...

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 24, 2009, 04:47:02 PM
I'm sick of naming things after people.  Triboro Bridge is fine.  Or Triborough?  Well, it would be fine if I knew how to spell it. 

*casually attempts to book a trip to Idlewild Airport, fails, and throws himself headlong off the Danielle Van Dam Memorial Overpass*

Couldn't agree with you more. I refuse to call the Delaware 1 C & D Canal Bridge the U.S. Senator William V. Roth, Jr. Bridge. Its the canal bridge, what more does it need to be called?

akotchi

Do you know how hard it is to retrofit "Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.," or any of many derivatives, on overhead guide signs?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

travelinmiles

Maybe the Barack Obama New Jersey Turnpike!

leifvanderwall

I would have no problem naming a freeway or tollway after our 44th President. I think the I-355 tollway should be called the Barack Obama Turnpike.

Brandon

Quote from: leifvanderwall on May 03, 2010, 01:55:59 PM
I would have no problem naming a freeway or tollway after our 44th President. I think the I-355 tollway should be called the Barack Obama Turnpike.

Absolutely not!  It now has a name, the Veterans Memorial Tollway.
Why name a road after a still living person?  I've never understood why we do that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

huskeroadgeek

On the subject of renaming highways for people-the worst example I can think of is the Kentucky Parkways. Why did they feel the need to add the name of a politician to most of them? And most, if not all of them are still alive(or were when they were renamed). For that matter, Hal Rogers is still in office(which I guess that isn't that unusual since it seems like about half of the public works projects in West Virginia are named after Robert Byrd). And do people use the extra name much? I know a friend who travels often on the "Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway", but he still just calls it the "Pennyrile".

agentsteel53

each time we name something after our 44th president, we must name something else after our 55th.

no renamings allowed, so you'd better get it right.

jake@aaroads.com

tdindy88

Isn't I-57 (maybe 55 I don't remember) not currently named. I recall of all the Chicago Expressways there was one that was still refered to by number and not name, that would seem to be a logically route to name, it would be close to the Southside too.

Revive 755

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 03, 2010, 11:35:15 PM
Isn't I-57 (maybe 55 I don't remember) not currently named. I recall of all the Chicago Expressways there was one that was still refered to by number and not name, that would seem to be a logically route to name, it would be close to the Southside too.

I-55 is the Stevenson Expressway.  Neither I-57 nor I-80 appear to have names.  IMHO it would be better to wait until a current politician is out of office before naming stuff after them - though I would prefer to see more names from other features or figures - there probably isn't an Einstein Expressway anywhere.

Illinois could also name the new I-70 Mississippi river bridge for Obama, but I don't see Missouri liking it.

huskeroadgeek

Part of I-80 in the Chicago area is named-the portion of it that is part of the Tri-State Tollway, and the portion multiplexed with I-94 to the IN border is the Kingery Expressway.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 04, 2010, 12:09:22 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 03, 2010, 11:35:15 PM

I-55 is the Stevenson Expressway.  Neither I-57 nor I-80 appear to have names.  IMHO it would be better to wait until a current politician is out of office before naming stuff after them - though I would prefer to see more names from other features or figures - there probably isn't an Einstein Expressway anywhere.

Illinois could also name the new I-70 Mississippi river bridge for Obama, but I don't see Missouri liking it.

I-80 is the Moline Expressway and I-57 is the West Leg Dan Ryan Expressway.  There's still some rather peeved people after the Calumet Expressway got renamed for some guy in Chicago called Bishop Ford.  A fair number of us still use the 'Cal' name for I-94 there.

/We tend to prefer keeping the old name here in Chicagoland, hence you'll rarely hear "Willis Tower" on the street.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.