News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: Complete NC 540 Project
Last post by sprjus4 - Today at 04:39:15 AM
Quote from: Henry on July 26, 2024, 11:00:02 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 24, 2024, 05:03:19 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 22, 2024, 11:55:52 AMWhere would be a good place for an Interstate 640 to go, assuming one is ever proposed, which seems unlikely to me?

Knowing NCDOT...they could apply I-640 to the next freeway. I will not be surprised if this one goes to US-1 between I-440 in Raleigh and I-85 near Henderson. LOL. Or maybe if they go with the freeway next to I-40 going from Dunn to Wilmington.
Before BL 40 was rebuilt as the Salem Parkway, I thought that would be a good location for an I-640. But now that Winston-Salem won't allow it to be an Interstate nor Business Loop, the next best thing would be to build a freeway loop around Hickory or Burlington (fat chance, I know, but we can all dream, can't we?).
Quote from: Henry on July 26, 2024, 11:00:02 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 24, 2024, 05:03:19 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 22, 2024, 11:55:52 AMWhere would be a good place for an Interstate 640 to go, assuming one is ever proposed, which seems unlikely to me?

Knowing NCDOT...they could apply I-640 to the next freeway. I will not be surprised if this one goes to US-1 between I-440 in Raleigh and I-85 near Henderson. LOL. Or maybe if they go with the freeway next to I-40 going from Dunn to Wilmington.
Before BL 40 was rebuilt as the Salem Parkway, I thought that would be a good location for an I-640. But now that Winston-Salem won't allow it to be an Interstate nor Business Loop, the next best thing would be to build a freeway loop around Hickory or Burlington (fat chance, I know, but we can all dream, can't we?).
Do those cities even need freeway loops?

Hickory could maybe use a bypass (not sure where you'd build it though) for north-south US-321 traffic, but that's about it.
Southeast / Re: North Carolina
Last post by sprjus4 - Today at 04:34:33 AM
Quote from: Love2drive on July 26, 2024, 09:51:12 PMQuestion for the board.  Why aren't there lane restrictions on tractor-trailers on Interstate 85 between Charlotte and the 85/285 split like they are on 40/85?   I've driven that stretch a few times this week, and have been frustrated by the big rigs slogging down the left lanes.  A few times yesterday they were 4 wide for a period.  :banghead:
Given North Carolina is one of the few states that still doesn't require the left lane be reserved for passing only, it doesn't surprise me honestly.

Trucks should be banned in the left lane of any freeway with 3 or more lanes in either direction - urban or rural area.
Southeast / Re: Georgia
Last post by Finrod - Today at 04:23:36 AM
Quote from: Jaxrunner on July 24, 2024, 09:27:28 AMI-75 around Lake Altoona and Acworth is a huge bottleneck. There are always slowdowns and wrecks on that stretch of highway. In addition, NW Georgia is growing. A lot of industry is being built on the I-75 corridor between Chattanooga and Atlanta. Next year, the Hyundai Battery Plant is opening in Cartersville, bringing 5,000 jobs to the area.

Agreed.  Eventually I-75 should be made more than 3x3 north of Barrett Parkway.  It already needs it.
Central States / Re: US66 Pony Truss Bridge at ...
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 02:04:33 AM
Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2024, 10:39:57 PMI wish ODOT and the 66 geeks would quit calling this a "restoration". They demolished the old bridge and built a new ordinary concrete beam bridge and they're welding trusses to the outside of the new bridge. That's not a restoration, that is a replacement. The trusses aren't even functional. But the US 66 geeks don't care about authenticity and never have.
This probably belongs on the "minor Things that bother you" thread. Not everything needs to be functional. Art is a thing.
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 10:15:24 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 26, 2024, 10:11:26 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 09:49:29 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 26, 2024, 12:39:05 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on July 26, 2024, 12:37:47 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 26, 2024, 10:50:57 AMOf course it would be replaced. The economic health of the UP depends on it for tourism and access to the border, the universities up there, etc.
Which also begs the question why the Michigan Tourism Department, various chambers of commerce, and other business interests in the UP haven't put the pressure on the MBA to adopt a better business model for the MacPass at the very least, if not start doing ETC and accepting E-ZPass. People's vacations becoming a traffic nightmare benefits no one.

Because Flint runs the MBA.
I haven't said a word to you. Wtf are you trying to start?

Bwahahahaha....

You are so silly.
Yeah I'm the one that's silly but you mentioned me again after having attacked me in this thread. What is your problem? Oh I don't agree that the Mackinac Bridge should have EZ-Pass? Really? Grow up.
You are really coming off as a troll here. You just won't let go of the EZ Pass thing. That was brought up as an example of what could be used for the bridge. The overall tone or insinuation that I think most people are agreeing on this thread is that electronic tolling should be implemented that is also interoperable with other agencies. And nobody is attacking you.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by tchafe1978 - Today at 12:25:42 AM
Packers signed QB Jordan Love to a 4 year $220 million contract extension. $75 million signing bonus and $155 million guaranteed. He's now the highest paid QB in NFL history. Go Pack Go!
Traffic Control / Re: The 1-2-3 Road Sign CHALLE...
Last post by chays - Today at 12:00:10 AM
FM 2732 also by bmcdonau
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Mackinac Bridge congestion
Last post by Rothman - July 26, 2024, 11:44:55 PM
Oy vey.  SMH.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Mackinac Bridge congestion
Last post by Flint1979 - July 26, 2024, 11:32:04 PM
You are the one that mentioned me and I replied and now your mad. Like I told you earlier, grow up. The Mackinac Bridge will most likely never have EZ-Pass because there is no benefit in getting it. You people think the lack of it causes backups on the bridge, it does not. The bridge is two lanes in each direction, often with a lane closed for maintenance or construction the toll plaza not accepting EZ-Pass is not the reason for any backups on the bridge. Then you say that I haven't given a valid reason why they shouldn't have it, I have been doing that the entire thread.
Traffic Control / Re: Department of Redundancy D...
Last post by Hunty2022 - July 26, 2024, 11:29:06 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 24, 2024, 05:59:53 PMShould I drive down this street?

That end looks really dead. They probably have more of those signs at the end...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.