News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

AARoads Page Updates

Started by Alex, January 19, 2009, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: AARoads on May 27, 2010, 02:51:37 AM
I converted Interstate 99 into the new format

you have brought shame upon my code!

luckily, it's a fairly straightforward change to go in the database and make everything say "US 220"
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 27, 2010, 10:02:17 AM
Quote from: AARoads on May 27, 2010, 02:51:37 AM
I converted Interstate 99 into the new format

you have brought shame upon my code!

luckily, it's a fairly straightforward change to go in the database and make everything say "US 220"

Hahaha, yes I have.  :-D

I will have the same concept with I-73/74 and U.S. 220, and US 74/I-74. I will double (or triple) tag each photograph so that you can remain along "US 220" when navigating web pages. The I-99 update is the only for the php in Pennsylvania thus far. PA is a mess htmlwise and will require some significant time to clean it up. Fortunately Andy is heading to western PA next month, and I will try to put him in charge of updating the western PA stuff, since it has not been touched since 2004!

rickmastfan67

I can get you new shots of the ends of Southern end of I-279 and Northern end of I-579 (which just recently had new signs installed for on I-279). ;)

Also, for that I-99 URL, don't you have too many 0's in it? i0099 :P

agentsteel53

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 27, 2010, 12:14:05 PM

in a lot of cases, our code works better if particular parameters are a fixed number of characters long - in this case, the route numbers are all a type prefix and then four digits.

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 27, 2010, 06:33:25 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 27, 2010, 12:14:05 PM

in a lot of cases, our code works better if particular parameters are a fixed number of characters long - in this case, the route numbers are all a type prefix and then four digits.

Ah.  Figured it was something like that.

Scott5114

Quote from: I-99 page
This is one of the very few places in Pennsylvania where a state route, federal route, and interstate route all share the same bit of roadway.

say what
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2010, 07:21:32 AM
say what

that's what the US system apparently is called.  I've had a lot of old-timers call it that when ordering replica US shields from me, but the term seems to have fallen out of vogue around 1956.

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: I-99 page
This is one of the very few places in Pennsylvania where a state route, federal route, and interstate route all share the same bit of roadway.

say what

Jesse Bender wrote all of his own captions for his photos.

agentsteel53

are there any state-named 99s? 

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 16, 2010, 10:04:27 AM
say what

that's what the US system apparently is called.  I've had a lot of old-timers call it that when ordering replica US shields from me, but the term seems to have fallen out of vogue around 1956.

The official name has always been the "United States Numbered Highways". The term "federal" was never officially applied to the system (the only alternate term discussed was "transcontinental"), because it never really had all that much to do with the federal government–BPR did the initial numbering, then turned it over to AASHTO afterward, and Congress provided some funding through the FAP and FAS initiatives (not even system-specific funding like the Interstates), but they've always been state owned and maintained.

People generally use "federal route" when they feel they've used "US Route" too much and want to avoid repetition. However, the term is, strictly speaking, wrong. This wouldn't be too much of a big deal had one Carl Rogers not glommed onto it and filled every post and videos relating to US highways with it. (Come on, sing it with me, kids! U S Fed'ral Route thirty-one-DUB, southbound traffic near a little green shrub...) This bizarre tendency of his led someone to point out the term's incorrectness, and Carl's insistence on continuing to use it further cemented it to him and added more fuel to his ridicule fire. As a result, if you use the term in a document being presented to MTR, you can expect to be heckled for it (more than usual for MTR, even) and suffer an instant loss of respect unless you can play it off as dating to pre-2005 or so.

agentsteel53

I don't think many people will pay much regard to the subtle distinction between "federal organization" and "national association of state-based organizations", of which AASHO is one but not the other.  

certainly not the sign collecting crowd, most of which tend to have political alignments that describe any acronymed organization as "that damn federal government, always taking my tax dollars ... now gimme my Medicare check!"

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

True, but the key point here is "If you say 'federal route' people will think you're Carl Rogers." :spin:

froggie

QuoteTrue, but the key point here is "If you say 'federal route' people will think you're Carl Rogers."

Only those who read MTR, of which a fair number of users on this forum don't...

Alex

I completed converting all of our html-based pages in North Carolina into the new format.

Guides for Interstate 26 are split into four guides now, and the westbound guide for the stretch between SC and I-40/240 was updated. I will be revising the original content for the other pages this week and will have some I-40, I-240, I-77, and US 25 updates before wrapping things up with the state.

Lyle

So North Carolina is no longer on southeastroads.com?

Alex

Quote from: Lyle on June 18, 2010, 03:13:25 PM
So North Carolina is no longer on southeastroads.com?

That is correct, eventually everything on SERoads will be merged with AARoads and SERoads will close.

WillWeaverRVA

If you go back to Virginia for more updates I have some photos from southbound I-664 (most of the exits) and all exits on I-64 westbound from I-664 to VA 407 (Indian River Road) if you're interested.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on September 05, 2010, 11:51:53 PM
If you go back to Virginia for more updates I have some photos from southbound I-664 (most of the exits) and all exits on I-64 westbound from I-664 to VA 407 (Indian River Road) if you're interested.

Yup, am interested. Been working on Maryland a lot lately, and am revamping Hawaii to expand it with photos and info from another contributor. Going to try to do some Washington stuff in between, since we've received a lot of requests for it.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: AARoads on September 06, 2010, 11:32:43 AM
Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on September 05, 2010, 11:51:53 PM

Yup, am interested. Been working on Maryland a lot lately, and am revamping Hawaii to expand it with photos and info from another contributor. Going to try to do some Washington stuff in between, since we've received a lot of requests for it.

Okay, I'll upload them somewhere when I get home so you can use them.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ctsignguy

Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2010, 06:32:55 AM
QuoteTrue, but the key point here is "If you say 'federal route' people will think you're Carl Rogers."

Only those who read MTR, of which a fair number of users on this forum don't...

You arent missing much, aside from the foolish flame wars....

Stick with AARoads for ALL Your Highway Geek Needs!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Alex

Done with phase one of my updates for Hawaii, which includes a revamp all of our existing pages, the elimination of the mini miscellaneous page, and the creation of highway maps and road photo collection pages for the main islands. I also put together state route logs for each islands based upon the Hawaii DOT shape files I used to build the maps.

https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=gatewayhi

Web site contributor and good friend Larry Epstein sent me a ton of photos from his vacation this summer, and I am done with the Oahu portion of his trip. Next will be new content for Kauai and Molokai.

If you like Clearview, you will be happy that just about every mainline freeway sign, outside of urban Honolulu, is now using the new font. Unfortunately that means that errors and other inconsistencies were carbon copied over...

national highway 1

Question: Aren't HI 61 & HI 63 E-W routes not N-S routes? Which is correct?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

froggie

Both are north-south routes.  Hawai'i doesn't exactly do N/S/E/W in the same sense that most other locations do.

Alex

Finally getting to Washington state updates, focusing on photos Andy and I took back in 2006. Added and replaced a few photos to what Matt had worked on back in 2006 for Interstate 5 north at Vancouver and Olympia. Then continuing with new Interstate 5 northbound pages from Tacoma through Seattle to just north of the north end of Interstate 405. We drove to the north end at Blaine and the Peace Arch on August 30, 2006 and then headed back south. Will continue adding northbound photos until the end in the next round of updates.

Alex

Finished creating pages and adding photos of Interstate 5 northbound from Everett to Blaine. Outside of some Portland area photos of I-5 north in Oregon, everything for I-5 northbound from end to end is currently online.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.