News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Classic" Google Maps to disappear forever

Started by SignGeek101, April 14, 2015, 06:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

If any of you, like me use the "Classic Google Maps", you'll be out of luck soon. Google will be phasing it out. Considering how laggy and slow it is on my laptop, I'm not impressed, but not surprised.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6166252?p=update&hl=en&rd=1

Guess I'll have to go to Google Earth. The new maps is almost unusable on my system.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadrunner75

Very bad news.  The new one "works", but I find the inability to just scroll in and out of streetview extremely annoying.  It's also very slow, but we've already discussed this to death on another thread.  This will sap a lot of the fun out of playing "Where's Steve At?".

formulanone

They claim there's a "Lite Mode" for Google Maps...not sure how that's going to play out, since it looks and acts like the new maps, but without 3D rendering.

http://www.google.com/maps/?force=canvas

Zeffy

Canada Google Maps works for me, so I guess I won't be too affected by the phasing out... still think it's a douche move for those who do continue to have problems.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

US 41

They should get rid of the "New" Google Maps forever and keep the classic. The New Google Maps has had so many problems, almost everyone on here complains about its performance. Apparently Google doesn't care though. I will miss the classic google maps.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US 41

Quote from: bandit957 on April 14, 2015, 09:18:17 PM
Another day, another Google failure.

I just compared the two and it jaw dropping how much faster the old (classic) google maps is. This is definitely a step back for Google Maps. Why they want to ruin something that was perfect blows my mind.

Has anyone noticed when you click on the blue line in the map it will have you facing a totally random direction now, instead of the direction your traveling?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hotdogPi

It won't even let me use the new one. The new one redirects to the old one.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

corco

Hopefully Google Maps Poland or some random third world country version of Google keeps the classic version around.

My only real problem is the lack of direction ticks when customizing a route, and I wonder how the new google maps will maintain that functionality from old links (right now it redirects back to classic google maps if you have a URL with too many ticks, for example http://tinyurl.com/pzoywe4)

SteveG1988

I don't have issues with the new one at all. Probably due to having a Nvidia NVS 3100M in my laptop.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Crazy Volvo Guy

Why anyone thought this wouldn't be the outcome is beyond me.  I knew as soon as I saw the "See the new Google Maps" link that there would be an eventual forced changeover.  And, as is typical in this day and age, it's happening regardless of the fact that the new product is nowhere near being able to properly replace the old.

I am disappointed, but not at all surprised.  This is the way of the world these days.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Dr Frankenstein

I had complaints about the new version of Google Maps when they previewed it and voiced them here as well as filled bug reports with Google. By now, every single one of them has been addressed and I switched permanently a while ago.

What I'm more concerned with is that at work, both the "new" and the "new lite" (canvas) version redirect back to the classic version, probably due to my IT department's aversion to updating browsers (we use IE 9 and Fx 15...).

roadman

Quote from: US 41 on April 14, 2015, 09:10:16 PM
They should get rid of the "New" Google Maps forever and keep the classic. The New Google Maps has had so many problems, almost everyone on here complains about its performance. Apparently Google doesn't care though. I will miss the classic google maps.
This reflects a basic problem.  People who develop these things need to learn the concept of "It works, so don't mess with it."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TXtoNJ

Quote from: roadman on April 15, 2015, 09:46:36 AM
This reflects a basic problem.  People who develop these things need to learn the concept of "It works, so don't mess with it."

They do know that. However, they are paid to be "disruptive" and come up with new interfaces and systems. It's not that the knowledge isn't there, it's that the incentive structure doesn't provide for stasis in Silicon Valley.

stormwatch7721

The new google maps lags a little. You can't go "inside" the selected buildings in the classic version.

Brandon

I keep having the little yellow guy bounce back to his home when I try to use street view from time to time.  Most annoying.  :banghead:

And this same Google wants to build self-driving cars?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!  :rofl:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

Quote from: roadman on April 15, 2015, 09:46:36 AM

The 21st century ideology is "permanently in beta".

vdeane

Lite mode is SO much faster than the default mode.  I use it on all my computers.

Quote from: corco on April 14, 2015, 10:42:10 PM
My only real problem is the lack of direction ticks when customizing a route, and I wonder how the new google maps will maintain that functionality from old links (right now it redirects back to classic google maps if you have a URL with too many ticks, for example http://tinyurl.com/pzoywe4)
Agreed.  I mostly use the new Google Maps, but I revert to the classic maps whenever I need those extra direction ticks.  11 just isn't enough.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wxfree

Quote from: formulanone on April 15, 2015, 04:40:16 PM
The 21st century ideology is "permanently in beta".

This problems continues for hundreds of years into the future.  According to Dr. McCoy in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, "I know engineers; they love to change things."

Or something similar.

I've been calling hellfire and damnation on browser makers for years now for taking away things I liked about web browsers and not giving us the option to keep those functionalities.  I still use Firefox because it's the most customizable to make it the way I like, but all these years later I still hate their so-called Awesome Bar.  My real gripe is that I like "dumb" technology; I want machines that just obey my commands, not machines that try to figure me out and anticipate what I want.  Unfortunately, engineers think that showing off what they can do is more important than making a good product.  It's kinda like musicians who think that showing off their rapid note-playing skills is more important than making beautiful music, but that's a different topic.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jakeroot

I think the performance of the new Google Maps depends on your graphics card. I'm running a GeForce GTX 980 and the new maps is just as fast as the old one. But, I know most people don't have the money nor the desire nor the need to have a high-end graphics card, so I expect Google (in Google fashion) to continue to refine the new Maps. Within a year or two, I bet it will perform better than the old one. That's just how technology works (people like the old thing, old thing gets replaced, people complain, new thing improves, people forget about old thing).

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2015, 01:11:18 AM
I think the performance of the new Google Maps depends on your graphics card. I'm running a GeForce GTX 980 and the new maps is just as fast as the old one. But, I know most people don't have the money nor the desire nor the need to have a high-end graphics card, so I expect Google (in Google fashion) to continue to refine the new Maps. Within a year or two, I bet it will perform better than the old one. That's just how technology works (people like the old thing, old thing gets replaced, people complain, new thing improves, people forget about old thing).

It's the same with YouTube. People always want the "old YouTube" back, and hate the new one.

I like the new one, it's just that I can't use it. It's a matter of function and not appearance or preference.

Pete from Boston

The new Google Maps displays invisible roads a little better.

freebrickproductions

IMO, the old Google Maps was better. Mostly because the map maker is actually functional with the old version of Google Maps and you could actually copy-paste any directions from the old Google Maps somewhere else.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SSOWorld

You have to remember for engineers - the motto isn't "if it ain't broke don't fix it", it's actually "if it ain't broke, it don't have enough features yet" ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.