News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay8g

Not only is this an unusual design, I can't tell how it's supposed to connect to the physical layout of the intersection (it's here):

Bruce

I guess it's meant for cyclists on the shared trail there, warning that cars turning from the offramp can clip cyclists in the crosswalk? It'd be better if the symbols were moved around a bit.

Zeffy

Cars turning right be aware of cyclists on the right which meet at some point otherwise you'll turn into... a bush looking thing.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jbnv

Cross-post from the 1-2-3 Sign Game thread:

Quote from: Ian on April 24, 2016, 07:23:58 PM

Two uniquenesses/oddities here: the shield with the "FORMERLY" banner in the foreground and the junction sign in the background.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Zeffy

Which New England state is that? Maine? I only ask because I don't know any places in Massachusetts or Rhode Island with that kind of scenery. Though I like the FORMERLY banner.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ian

Quote from: Zeffy on April 24, 2016, 08:34:48 PM
Which New England state is that? Maine? I only ask because I don't know any places in Massachusetts or Rhode Island with that kind of scenery. Though I like the FORMERLY banner.

Yep, it's along US 1 north in Orland, Maine. Within the past few months or so, MaineDOT must've truncated ME 175 several miles south where it met the former end of ME 166 and 166 was extended north to meet US 1.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

paulthemapguy

Maine's scenery is amazing.  I was so pleasantly surprised to find that kind of natural beauty in New England.  This photo is in the geologic anomaly that's the home of Acadia National Park.  Oceans and mountains and trees, it's so nice.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Ian

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 25, 2016, 09:54:01 PM
Maine's scenery is amazing.  I was so pleasantly surprised to find that kind of natural beauty in New England.  This photo is in the geologic anomaly that's the home of Acadia National Park.  Oceans and mountains and trees, it's so nice.

Just don't come here for the weather.
Youtube l Flickr

formulanone

I like the big loopy arrow on this one at the end of I-295 in Massachusetts:

ekt8750

Quote from: formulanone on April 28, 2016, 12:30:31 PM

I take it flipping trucks is a major issue on that ramp and they want to hammer home that curve as much as possible?

AsphaltPlanet

That is a really interesting sign.  Great way to hammer home the existence of the loop ramp at this location.  Looks like quite a bit of positive guidance to try and get drivers to slow down has been installed at this location.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jbnv

Quote from: formulanone on April 28, 2016, 12:30:31 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing signs like that on all cloverleafs. I can't think of any cloverleaf in Louisiana that even indicates that the ramp is a 270-degree loop.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

cl94

Signs like this seem to be restricted to NYSDOT Region 1. The sign border, words, and arrow are lit and they flash at night. This interchange has a few and there are a few elsewhere in the area There are a few clearance signs on NY 85 and NY 85A southwest of here that have a similar concept, except the arrows flash alternately.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Ian

Quote from: cl94 on April 28, 2016, 03:20:25 PM
Signs like this seem to be restricted to NYSDOT Region 1. The sign border, words, and arrow are lit and they flash at night. This interchange has a few and there are a few elsewhere in the area There are a few clearance signs on NY 85 and NY 85A southwest of here that have a similar concept, except the arrows flash alternately.

My aunt and uncle used to live in Voorheesville, so I know those flashing clearance signs very well! I always thought the "03" inches was interesting.

Youtube l Flickr

cl94

Quote from: Ian on April 28, 2016, 03:31:09 PM

My aunt and uncle used to live in Voorheesville, so I know those flashing clearance signs very well! I always thought the "03" inches was interesting.

Those are still there as of Monday. The ones on NY 85 in Singerlands don't have the leading zero. I've seen a few lit "signal ahead" signs scattered around as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: US71 on April 21, 2016, 09:38:17 AM

Southland Mall in Memphis
Similar to the old days when all the signs on the New York State Thruway were blue and white and on short poles in the exit ramps!

thefraze_1020

I have never seen exits "xxxW" or "xxxE" before. It that typical for New York State?
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Kacie Jane

cl94

Yes. They're doing away with it as exits are added/renumbered, but few examples of renumbered/added exits exist. Regions 4 and 5 (Rochester, Buffalo) use A/B instead of N/S or E/W. A few locations use combinations of the directions, although this is quite rare. Anywhere with mile-based numbering is A/B.

thenetwork

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on April 29, 2016, 02:33:58 AM

I have never seen exits "xxxW" or "xxxE" before. It that typical for New York State?
Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 29, 2016, 02:36:26 AM
Yes.  And Connecticut.
And PA used to do it as well.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on April 29, 2016, 10:41:07 AM
Yes. They're doing away with it as exits are added/renumbered, but few examples of renumbered/added exits exist. Regions 4 and 5 (Rochester, Buffalo) use A/B instead of N/S or E/W. A few locations use combinations of the directions, although this is quite rare. Anywhere with mile-based numbering is A/B.

In another case, the AC Expressway still has Exits 7N/7S for the Garden State Parkway. 

Ian

Quote from: thenetwork on April 29, 2016, 11:19:00 AM
Quote from: thefraze_1020 on April 29, 2016, 02:33:58 AM

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 29, 2016, 02:36:26 AM
Yes.  And Connecticut.
And PA used to do it as well.

New Hampshire also...

Youtube l Flickr

AsphaltPlanet

Quebec does this too:

except of course they use O and E for ouest and est, instead of W and E.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

I think Quebec technically calls the exits "80 nord" and "80 sud"... at least, that's what they put on gore signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.