The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: hockeyjohn on March 28, 2016, 04:51:42 PM
Jackson, Michigan (Airport Rd north of Springport Dr)

That arrow through the 1 reminds me of old-school MassDPW D6/D8 signage.  Scroll down for an old D6 Paddle example.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

national highway 1

Found this on @michaelste Instagram showing the button copy sign northbound on CA 110 at the substandard left exit to I-5.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

hockeyjohn

This is a quick Powerpoint rendition of a sign that used to be on Millersville Rd east of Keystone Ave in Indianapolis from at least the 1960s through about 2000 - drove past it frequently and never took a photo of it.   It is the only example of "SQUEEZE LEFT" I've ever seen anywhere in the Midwest.

This more typical of how Indiana marks the end of a lane.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jakeroot

I'm normally not a sucker for old signs, but this shield for BC-99A is pretty cool. 99A was decommissioned in 2006, plus it's in the old BC font from several years ago.

I took the photo below this morning on the Georgia Viaduct, just east of downtown Vancouver. The viaduct was the location of the freeway fight in Deadpool. Interestingly, city councillors voted to demolish the viaduct last October, so this shield's days are numbered.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on April 12, 2016, 08:13:59 AM
SPOILERS!

Good point. I've edited my post. That said, I don't think the part that I mentioned has any bearing on the overall story.

formulanone

tckma

Wisconsin Rest Area signage?

I was surprised to see one of these on an Interstate highway yesterday.  And look at that old font!  Bet that sign predates this road being I-70.

If we're talking about old signs, there is this assembly, which as far as I know is still there (I don't have much reason to go this way as the nearby section Oakland Mills Road has been closed for construction since November and is still closed... hopefully they don't take this down as part of that.)

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

Quote from: tckma on April 13, 2016, 09:45:19 AM
I was surprised to see one of these on an Interstate highway yesterday.  And look at that old font!  Bet that sign predates this road being I-70.

Want a BWS version of that? This isn't on an Interstate highway, but it is Interstate-quality.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jakeroot

Quote from: cl94 on April 13, 2016, 10:37:56 PM
Quote from: tckma on April 13, 2016, 09:45:19 AM

Want a BWS version of that? This isn't on an Interstate highway, but it is Interstate-quality.

"Must turn right"? Don't they mean "Must exit"?

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

slorydn1

Not a best of, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to post a sign for the "real" Fort Bragg, lol.  :sombrero:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jakeroot

Quote from: slorydn1 on April 18, 2016, 01:18:20 AM
Not a best of, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to post a sign for the "real" Fort Bragg, lol.  :sombrero:

I prefer the fictional Fort Bragg, California.

:sombrero:

slorydn1

Quote from: jakeroot on April 18, 2016, 01:27:12 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on April 18, 2016, 01:18:20 AM

I prefer the fictional Fort Bragg, California.

:sombrero:

Believe it or not...so do I. :clap:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Bruce

Surfer crossing in Encinitas, California (Google Maps link; source)

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 23, 2016, 07:29:53 PM
Anyone know if this beauty is still there? I'll have to check it out when I go to the railroad crossing next to it this summer:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.7810234,-85.2467422,3a,15y,42.18h,83.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sv8jVVCSMJkJ9fzM0wLaidg!2e0!5s20130601T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I didn't know that was there; I usually just swing down FL 276 about once a year...thanks for that!

Alex

Quote from: formulanone on April 24, 2016, 08:01:31 AM
Anyone know if this beauty is still there? I'll have to check it out when I go to the railroad crossing next to it this summer:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.7810234,-85.2467422,3a,15y,42.18h,83.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sv8jVVCSMJkJ9fzM0wLaidg!2e0!5s20130601T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I didn't know that was there; I usually just swing down FL 276 about once a year...thanks for that!

Was as of last November,  photographed it and several other remaining blue US 90's:
A pic I tweeted from 11-24:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Alex on April 24, 2016, 09:09:14 AM
Quote from: formulanone on April 24, 2016, 08:01:31 AM

Was as of last November,  photographed it and several other remaining blue US 90's:
A pic I tweeted from 11-24:

Sweet! Florida's blue shields are some of my favorite US Route shields. I know what I'm going to get photos of this summer while I'm in Port St. Joe.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mwb1848

This vintage assembly on Mesa Street in South El Paso has always been one of my favorite. The sign directs motorists to turn left on Eighth Street, which has been converted into basically a block long slip ramp, to Stanton Street which carries US 85 south across the Mexican Border. From all the evidence I've seen, though, Mexico 45 has been re-routed and now crosses into the US connecting to I-110 at the Bridge of the Americas a few miles east.

However, about a half dozen of these modified Texas route shields still dot Downtown El Paso directing motorists to the Stanton Street Bridge to get to Mexico 45.

The US 85 fabrication stickers were hard to read; the Mexico 45 shield didn't have any. But it's clearly hand-painted and showing signs of wear.

The whole assembly gets an assist from this pair of more recent City of El Paso installations.

Of note, as far as I know, Stanton Street also carries US 62 WB to the Border. US 62 EB and US 85 NB travel north from the Border along El Paso Street to Paisano before splitting at this assembly:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7548837,-106.4880689,3a,75y,345.37h,89.39t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1styiEaTY8DHSc0PZN68GbIg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DtyiEaTY8DHSc0PZN68GbIg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D392%26h%3D106%26yaw%3D324.67838%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

kphoger

Quote from: mwb1848 on June 03, 2016, 10:46:01 AM
This vintage assembly on Mesa Street in South El Paso has always been one of my favorite. The sign directs motorists to turn left on Eighth Street, which has been converted into basically a block long slip ramp, to Stanton Street which carries US 85 south across the Mexican Border. From all the evidence I've seen, though, Mexico 45 has been re-routed and now crosses into the US connecting to I-110 at the Bridge of the Americas a few miles east.

Did Mexican federal highway 45 use to be routed up to the Stanton Street bridge?  I haven't personally been to Juárez since January 2002, but we used the Bridge of the Americas on that trip anyway and I don't remember specific signage except local street blades.  Sheets from the SCT have the airport entrance as the northernmost data point with lat/long coordinates, but the distance to the endpoint has not changed since 2004 (as far back as I can check online), suggesting that the routing has not changed in at least eleven years.

Hopefully you're not considering a weird trailblazer on the Texas side of the border to be proof of official routing of a Mexican highway?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mwb1848

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2016, 11:25:13 AM
Quote from: mwb1848 on June 03, 2016, 10:46:01 AM

Did Mexican federal highway 45 use to be routed up to the Stanton Street bridge?  I haven't personally been to Juárez since January 2002, but we used the Bridge of the Americas on that trip anyway and I don't remember specific signage except local street blades.  Sheets from the SCT have the airport entrance as the northernmost data point with lat/long coordinates, but the distance to the endpoint has not changed since 2004 (as far back as I can check online), suggesting that the routing has not changed in at least eleven years.

Hopefully you're not considering a weird trailblazer on the Texas side of the border to be proof of official routing of a Mexican highway?

Interesting info! I've been unsuccessfully looking for Chihuahua route logs for some time. Would you mind sharing the link?

There is actually a slate of new signage when you come off the Bridge of the Americas on the Juarez side referencing Mexico 45 which seems to dove-tail with Google Maps' assertion that Mexico 45 follows Avenida de las Americas and Triunfo de la Republica.

Regarding the re-routing, I was only meaning that if it does make it to the Bridge of the Americas (which is only about 50 years old) it had to be re-routed from wherever it was before the Chamizal Treaty – which I assumed was the Downtown bridges.

kphoger

Quote from: mwb1848 on June 03, 2016, 11:49:01 AM
Interesting info! I've been unsuccessfully looking for Chihuahua route logs for some time. Would you mind sharing the link?

http://www.sct.gob.mx/carreteras/direccion-general-de-servicios-tecnicos/datos-viales/
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.