News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

People that don't use a "ch" sound when saying mature.

Chris

SSOWorld

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 01:08:25 PM

Chris
because t doesn't sound like "ch"
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 09, 2021, 01:44:00 PM

Then how do you pronounce furniture?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on March 09, 2021, 01:44:00 PM

Then how do you pronounce furniture?

Apparently fur-nit-TOOOOOR.  :)

Chris

kphoger

...and...

culture
infrastructure
torture
dentures
signature
future
nature
tincture

:nod:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Grub Hub? Door Dash? Uber Eats? What are those things?

As someone who lives in a rural area in a county of 7,000 people whose county seat has a population of 1,000, those services are foreign to me.

Which leads me to something else that bugs me: Cell phone companies that advertise they cover XX% of Americans. Not America. While technically true, it's definitely a bit misleading.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2021, 02:01:28 PM
Which leads me to something else that bugs me: Cell phone companies that advertise they cover XX% of Americans. Not America. While technically true, it's definitely a bit misleading.

Grass, trees, crops, and rocks don't use cell phones.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 02:05:29 PM

Yeah, but cell reception out on the highway between cities is a good thing to have.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on March 08, 2021, 03:34:14 PM
And I would really like to not have maskless customers open their door as I am placing their no-contact delivery on the porch.

You might not be considering that to you it's a "no-contact delivery", but to them it's just "delivery".

When I hear UPS pull up in front of the house, the last thing I'm thinking about is where to find my mask.  If I need to sign for the package, my first concern is to not make the driver wait for me at the door.  My next concern is to be an appreciative customer and thank the driver for delivering my package.  Similarly, if my wife and I order a pizza for delivery, it's not like we choose "no contact" or something.  We just order a pizza, turn on the porch light, and wait for the driver to show up.

Now, if someone walks up to my house with a mask on, then that makes me also think about grabbing my mask too.  But I don't think I've seen a single delivery driver wearing one, so it never even occurs to me.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 02:05:29 PM

6G implants will fix that fault in the stars.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 02:21:52 PM
Now, if someone walks up to my house with a mask on, then that makes me also think about grabbing my mask too.  But I don't think I've seen a single delivery driver wearing one, so it never even occurs to me.

I don't believe I've seen a delivery person out here without a mask. 

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

One of the regional controversies in northeast Minnesota right now is AT&T being given a permit for a cell tower in the Boundary Waters. The handful of locals up the Gunflint Trail with no cell service as of now and emergency service workers responsible for an increasingly popular wilderness area are in favor of it but many of the wilderness purists aren't.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 09, 2021, 02:26:06 PM
One of the regional controversies in northeast Minnesota right now is AT&T being given a permit for a cell tower in the Boundary Waters. The handful of locals up the Gunflint Trail with no cell service as of now and emergency service workers responsible for an increasingly popular wilderness area are in favor of it but many of the wilderness purists aren’t.

Maybe they can make it look like a tree

texaskdog

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 02:25:06 PM

I don't believe I've seen a delivery person out here without a mask. 

Chris

Most here don't wear them unless they anticipate meeting someone i.e if I was in my yard.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: texaskdog on March 09, 2021, 02:28:33 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 09, 2021, 02:26:06 PM
One of the regional controversies in northeast Minnesota right now is AT&T being given a permit for a cell tower in the Boundary Waters. The handful of locals up the Gunflint Trail with no cell service as of now and emergency service workers responsible for an increasingly popular wilderness area are in favor of it but many of the wilderness purists aren't.

Maybe they can make it look like a tree

They have one of these on I-25 between Denver and Castle Rock.

Chris

Big John

Quote from: kurumi on March 09, 2021, 01:01:45 PM
The phrase "invest in" as a euphemism for plain old "spend money on"
On that note, a furniture store around here says  "the more you spend, the more you save."  I save a lot more by not buying anything.

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on March 09, 2021, 03:10:44 PM

On that note, a furniture store around here says  "the more you spend, the more you save."  I save a lot more by not buying anything.

But you can't afford not to buy it!  It's like we're paying you!
Male pronouns, please.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 03:12:51 PM

Literally throwing money away!!!!

I hate when they hand you a receipt and say out loud "you saved $46".  No, if the stuff was full price I wouldn't have bought it at all.

interstatefan990

Any feature in a car that when I turn it off, it doesn't stay turned off. Example, auto engine stop/start or the radio playing upon startup. When I disable something, I do not want to have to turn it off again every darn time I get in the car.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

CoreySamson

Quote from: texaskdog on March 09, 2021, 04:56:32 PM

I hate when they hand you a receipt and say out loud "you saved $46".  No, if the stuff was full price I wouldn't have bought it at all.
Dave Ramsey would approve.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jakeroot

When I hear UPS pull up in front of the house, the last thing I'm thinking about is where to find my mask.  If I need to sign for the package, my first concern is to not make the driver wait for me at the door.  My next concern is to be an appreciative customer and thank the driver for delivering my package.  Similarly, if my wife and I order a pizza for delivery, it's not like we choose "no contact" or something.  We just order a pizza, turn on the porch light, and wait for the driver to show up.

Couple of concerns from me: (1) every delivery I've received in the last year has been delivered by someone masked. Pizza, Amazon, Door Dash, etc...all masked up. But that could be a geographic thing, as the vast majority of businesses around WA have very tight rules for mask-wearing by their employees; (2) I don't think about where my mask is. I've been wearing it for a year. If it's not in my back pocket, it's next to the door on a hook with like ten others. If you had to locate a mask, and it would take long enough to find one that a delivery driver would go from "normal delivery time" to "holy crap this is taking forever", you may want to just wear it around your neck like a pair of glasses. After all, we are far from being out the woods (and that's coming from someone who's fully vaccinated).

formulanone

Quote from: texaskdog on March 09, 2021, 04:56:32 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2021, 03:12:51 PM

Apparently paying "retail" for something is some sort of social sin.

While we're at it: most internet advertising tells you what you what percentage you'll save instead telling you the actual price <but you have to click through to find out>.

Saving is not about the price, but finding the value of it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on March 09, 2021, 06:34:34 PM
(and that's coming from someone who's fully vaccinated).

Your age is listed as 25.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 06:50:36 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 09, 2021, 06:34:34 PM
(and that's coming from someone who's fully vaccinated).

He mentioned he was vaccinated through his tribal authority.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on March 09, 2021, 06:50:36 PM

Age is only part of the equation here in Washington. There are countless exemptions to the general age limit, including living with people older than you, having underlying conditions, or being employed in a high-risk industry.

As a side-note: I would think my Facebook and Twitter profiles would make it very clear that I am not pretending to be 25.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 09, 2021, 06:53:37 PM
He mentioned he was vaccinated through his tribal authority.

👍

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.