Non-Road Boards > Sports

Your opinion: has Major League Soccer turned the “Big Four” into the “Big Five”?

(1/20) > >>

KCRoadFan:
Hi everyone:

I’d like to see what you all think on this subject: in your opinion, has Major League Soccer (MLS) grown enough in stature and importance, within the larger framework of American sports culture in general, to warrant being called a “fifth major league” on par with the “Big Four” leagues of Major League Baseball, the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL? Should the “Big Four” really be called the “Big Five” major sports leagues? Why or why not?

Bruce:
MLS popularity is still fairly regional, but in that sense it's like hockey (which doesn't have a national following in the same sense as the big 3). If the NHL is to be included, the MLS should too (despite the gap in revenue, mostly a product of TV companies low-balling).

Considering the league is only 25 years old and has a much deeper talent pool to draw from, it can only go up from here.

jeffandnicole:
Not even close. They get discussed briefly on game day, and sometimes a few additional stories here and there. But nowhere near the attention of the Big Four. Usually much smaller stadiums, on par of a NHL or NBA arena, but with a fraction of the games.

Max Rockatansky:
No, the last time I had a conversation about the MLS was in Orlando circa 2015.  In fact Orlando is the only City I can recall living or working in that even had a sizable MLS fan base.  A problem the MLS has that it isn’t even the premier league in it’s own sport.  I’ve often heard the MLS compared to something of a in between of Triple A baseball and the MLB. 

TheHighwayMan394:
No. American soccer fans care about Europe, not their local MLS teams.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version