Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

2021 Supply Disruptions

(1/81) > >>

ZLoth:
Is it my imagination, but does it seem that the during 2020 and 2020+1, the supply disruptions seem to be more pronounced than usual? Yes, Covid has been one of the main factors, but other factors are coming into play now. Consider:
[*]Semiconductor shortage - This is affecting gaming video cards, car production, and new PS5s gaming consoles. Broadband routers which usually have a 30 week lead time now have a 60 week lead time for orders.
[*]Ketchup shortage - Not the big bottles, but the small packs. Also, there is a mid-west pickle shortage.
[*]The price of lumber is up 188% thanks to shortages. Good luck trying to get a new home constructed.
[*]No story link here, but I heard from my new pool guy. Because of the mid-February Texas freeze and the associated long-term power outages, many swimming pools are out of service because of cracked equipment. Replacement pumps are practically impossible to find at the moment. A related story shows at least a one year lead time if you want to construct a pool.
[/list]
At least we're not talking about toilet paper, paper towels, headsets, and webcams at the moment. Maybe this will lead to a boom in fixing stuff up when it's broken rather than tossing it away and replacing it.

Max Rockatansky:
I was under the impression the toilet paper issue wasn’t a capacity production issue but rather the demand dramatically increasing over a short time span?

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 13, 2021, 07:44:33 AM ---I was under the impression the toilet paper issue wasn’t a capacity production issue but rather the demand dramatically increasing over a short time span?

--- End quote ---

You are correct.  Before COVID, the primary demand for toilet paper was industrial-sized commercial rolls used in hospitals, office buildings, factories, etc.  Over time, the value of that product grew such so as to add smaller shoppes and restaurants.  After COVID, the primary demand shifted to traditional household size rolls.  Which are not only made in other factories, but so is the packaging (including the paper core).  I believe there was also a transportation issue here, but I hesitate to discuss without the detail.

SectorZ:
Bicycle parts. Been like this since last Spring.

Apparently extra demand is the bigger issue than crimped supply.

GaryV:
It confounds me still that there are some temporary but wide-spread shortages as you walk the grocery store aisles.

OK, I understand why TP and sanitizer and other products were in short supply when demand surged.  (Ironically, we now often see BOGO on hand sanitizer and wipes - the supply chain overreacted and now people are buying less, as they use up their hoarded supplies.)

But why some weeks is nearly the entire spice section is empty?  A shortage of a few things I can understand - shipment of cinnamon or pepper or something got delayed and the supply ran out.  But suddenly 80-90% of all spices are sold out? 

Other commodities follow this pattern from time to time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version