News:

Check out the AARoads Wiki!

Main Menu

Oklahoma

Started by Alex, September 07, 2009, 12:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

If only there was something we could do about it. We need more road geeks in the nation's DOTs.


Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 03, 2026, 08:12:05 PMIf only there was something we could do about it. We need more road geeks in the nation's DOTs.

Could contact the Oklahoma Division of the FHWA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Search is broken, but I remember someone saying about a decade ago that we could just have ninjareplaced the I-99 signs as I forget which 3-digit number and they wouldn't care enough to change them back.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 50
MA 35, 40, 53, 63, 79, 109, 126, 138, 141, 151
NH 78, 111A(E); CA 90; NY 40, 366; CT 193, 320; VT 2A, 5A; ME 11, 17, 172; PA 3, 51, 60; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; WA 202; QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 36

kphoger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 03, 2026, 08:12:05 PMIf only there was something we could do about it. We need more road geeks in the nation's DOTs.
Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2026, 08:39:05 PMCould contact the Oklahoma Division of the FHWA.

What do you think this is, a democracy?  We are completely powerless to do anything at all about anything at all.  Except whine, that is.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bobby5280

"I-343" is yet another thing to make Oklahoma look fucking stupid.

Representative Tom Cole visits my civic club's meetings in Lawton every once in awhile. The next time he visits I'm going to ask him, "where in Oklahoma is I-43?"

kphoger

I hate parent-child highway numbering.  I-343 is my now my new favorite thing about Oklahoma.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bobby5280

It's a bunch of random stupid shit. I'm used to state highway routes sort of being all over the place with their numbering schemes. A national highway system isn't supposed to be doing that.

If some idiot can arbitrarily pull "I-343" out of his ass because it's his favorite number or something it's only a matter of time before we have some new short toll road somewhere get called Interstate 1 to jerk off some congressman's ego.

Hell, while we're at it, why bother limiting ourselves to the alphanumerical Latin alphabet? Maybe they can throw in some icons and emojis as route "numbers". We can have markers like Interstate smiley face or Interstate cherries. Interstate middle finger and Interstate poop pile might be funny.

kphoger

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 04, 2026, 12:21:10 PMit's only a matter of time before we have some new short toll road somewhere get called Interstate 1

Sounds good to me.

CO-1, ID-1, KS-1, and MO-1 are each less than 15 miles long, and nobody bats an eye.

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 04, 2026, 12:21:10 PMI'm used to state highway routes sort of being all over the place with their numbering schemes. A national highway system isn't supposed to be doing that.

meh.  The numbers don't have to mean anything in a national system any more than they do in a state system.  The number doesn't matter.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 04, 2026, 12:21:10 PMit's only a matter of time before we have some new short toll road somewhere get called Interstate 1
Only if a roadgeek wishes on a monkey's paw for I-238 to be renumbered to something that fits the numbering system. It's west of I-5, after all, and if you upgrade a few miles of CA 238 you could call it north-south.

swake

Quote from: bugo on February 02, 2026, 11:34:39 PMI've never heard anybody self-describe themself as "Muscogee". It's always "Creek Indian".

The tribe changed the name from Creek Nation to Muscogee (Creek) Nation in the 1970s. In 2021 they formally dropped the "Creek" as a colonial name and outdated.

My wife and kids and my wife's whole family call themselves Muscogee. Some people even find the term "Creek" offensive.

swake

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 04, 2026, 12:21:10 PMIt's a bunch of random stupid shit. I'm used to state highway routes sort of being all over the place with their numbering schemes. A national highway system isn't supposed to be doing that.

If some idiot can arbitrarily pull "I-343" out of his ass because it's his favorite number or something it's only a matter of time before we have some new short toll road somewhere get called Interstate 1 to jerk off some congressman's ego.

Hell, while we're at it, why bother limiting ourselves to the alphanumerical Latin alphabet? Maybe they can throw in some icons and emojis as route "numbers". We can have markers like Interstate smiley face or Interstate cherries. Interstate middle finger and Interstate poop pile might be funny.


ooh! I vote for the new I-42 to instead become Interstate "X" in roman numerals. Or maybe 四十二?

kphoger


He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TXtoNJ

#413
Quote from: swake on February 04, 2026, 08:44:05 PM
Quote from: bugo on February 02, 2026, 11:34:39 PMI've never heard anybody self-describe themself as "Muscogee". It's always "Creek Indian".

The tribe changed the name from Creek Nation to Muscogee (Creek) Nation in the 1970s. In 2021 they formally dropped the "Creek" as a colonial name and outdated.

My wife and kids and my wife's whole family call themselves Muscogee. Some people even find the term "Creek" offensive.

I've never understood the impulse to dismiss developments in indigenous communities from people who don't generally interact with them.

Also, there are a handful of funny things on this page worth addressing:

First, DOTs are absolutely littered with roadgeeks
Second, bad solutions like I-343 are often adopted because of political considerations
Third, kphoger is both accurately stating and completely understating the situation by saying that nobody cares about I-343. In fact, there are a bunch of people who are thrilled that their business is now "on an Interstate"

74/171FAN

QuoteFirst, DOTs are absolutely littered with roadgeeks

Yeah, I do not see it, especially when staff fully depends on GPS to get from Point A to Point B.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=markkos1992
Mob-Rule:  https://mob-rule.com/user/markkos1992

Rothman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 05, 2026, 01:35:49 PM
QuoteFirst, DOTs are absolutely littered with roadgeeks

Yeah, I do not see it, especially when staff fully depends on GPS to get from Point A to Point B.

Right.  There are roadgeeks in this forum's vein at DOTs, but we're still a minority in the workplace.  It's a little sad how many employees end up at a DOT "by default."  That said, I respect the engineers that looked at the private sector's higher pay and opted for more life-work balance by coming to the public sector.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TBKS1

Quote from: TXtoNJ on February 05, 2026, 12:58:15 PMThird, kphoger is both accurately stating and completely understating the situation by saying that nobody cares about I-343. In fact, there are a bunch of people who are thrilled that their business is now "on an Interstate"

This was pretty much the sole point made by most of the speakers at the official Interstate 57 designation ceremony (that I attended) in November 2024. I do understand where they're coming from in that regard, Interstate highways are more likely to be driven on to an extent, especially for long-distance or cross country travel by car. Another key point discussed there was the closing the gap between the southern and northern sections of Interstate 57 and providing a direct access route from Little Rock to Chicago. The direct connection would benefit smaller towns adjacent to I-57, even the gas stations and convenience stores located off the exit ramps of these freeways would result in a significant boost from the traffic of an Interstate highway going through them.

However, I'm not super convinced that would necessarily be the case for Interstate 343. As far as I'm aware, Interstate highways are very competitive for business startups, but only to a point. I haven't seen anybody say they wish they had a business adjacent to Interstate 180 in Illinois, for example. I also have a hard time believing that OK 351 (soon I-343) would have any substantial traffic boost once the Interstate highway designation is added, it's not like there's active progress to close a gap in the route either, or that its AADT would go up by people driving from Fort Smith to Tulsa solely because its designation changed.
~ Ethan S. Hester

Travel Mapping page: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=TBKS1
mob-rule: https://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/tbks1.gif
Route shield photo log page: (link)

kphoger

For the record, I just meant that nobody but pedantic roadgeeks cares about the number—not whether it's an Interstate or not in the first place.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TBKS1

#418
Quote from: kphoger on February 04, 2026, 12:33:21 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 04, 2026, 12:21:10 PMit's only a matter of time before we have some new short toll road somewhere get called Interstate 1

Sounds good to me.

CO-1, ID-1, KS-1, and MO-1 are each less than 15 miles long, and nobody bats an eye.

Loop 1 in Austin could become an Interstate highway if it wanted to, I don't see that ever happening but it would be pretty funny.
~ Ethan S. Hester

Travel Mapping page: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=TBKS1
mob-rule: https://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/tbks1.gif
Route shield photo log page: (link)

Scott5114

#419
Quote from: TXtoNJ on February 05, 2026, 12:58:15 PMSecond, bad solutions like I-343 are often adopted because of political considerations

What political considerations could possibly apply here? Are you suggesting it's not I-340 because Kevin Stitt cashed a fat fucking check from the Oklahoma Union of Cutout Reflective Vinyl Number 3 Manufacturers?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Revive 755

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 05, 2026, 01:35:49 PM
QuoteFirst, DOTs are absolutely littered with roadgeeks

Yeah, I do not see it, especially when staff fully depends on GPS to get from Point A to Point B.

Or the lack of interstate shields with state names in several states.

Bobby5280

#421
Quote from: Scott5114What political considerations could possibly apply here? Are you suggesting it's not I-340 because Kevin Stitt cashed a fat fucking check from the Oklahoma Union of Cutout Reflective Vinyl Number 3 Manufacturers?

The "I-343" numbering choice sure as hell isn't based on anything logical.

If they had gone with existing numbering conventions that apply to all 3-digit Interstate routes except for I-238 they would have picked I-340 or maybe I-342, assuming I-42 gets signed in Oklahoma sometime soon.

As stated before I-238 isn't a random number, but a continuation of an existing state highway designation. "I-351" could have filled the bill if OTA wanted to copy the I-238 example. They didn't do that. They just pulled "I-343" out of their asses. Some "boss" has some sentimental obsession with that number and insisted on using it even though the designation makes not a damned bit of sense.

So, the I-343 numbering choice could indeed be called political if somebody like the Governor or another senior lawmaker insisted on the designation. I think it's more likely some douchebag politician made the numbering choice rather than an official within the OTA.

Rothman

A reminder that when I spoke to OTA, they said the number was FHWA's choice. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on February 05, 2026, 10:54:06 PMA reminder that when I spoke to OTA, they said the number was FHWA's choice. 

And you believed them?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: TBKS1 on February 05, 2026, 10:58:56 PMWhile I'm not here to judge ODOT

I am!

...It's subpar.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef