News:

See the Forum Status page for any planned Forum maintenance or alerts on Forum outages.

Main Menu

Dead Malls

Started by The Premier, January 25, 2011, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-57/Route 66 Fan

My Local Mall In Bradley, Illinois Is Literally A Dead Mall Most Of Its Visitors Are Mall Walkers It Has A Cinemark Movie Theatre 0 Anchors Open 0 Restaurants In Its Food Court, Even Though It Does Have One Japanese Steakhouse About 10 Of Its 37 Storefronts Actually Open About 9 Of Them Small Businesses. The Only Chains In My Mall Is Hibbett, Finish Line, & The Aforementioned Cinemark Movie Theatre. The Village Bought It In 2024 And The Village And Mattel Have Plans To Turn It Into A Waterpark, It Hosts An Annual Music Fest That In 2025 Had Headliners Like Alabama, Flo Rida, & Daugherty
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true


Scott5114

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on May 21, 2026, 11:17:49 PMMy Local Mall In Bradley, Illinois Is Literally A Dead Mall Most Of Its Visitors Are Mall Walkers It Has A Cinemark Movie Theatre 0 Anchors Open 0 Restaurants In Its Food Court, Even Though It Does Have One Japanese Steakhouse About 10 Of Its 37 Storefronts Actually Open About 9 Of Them Small Businesses. The Only Chains In My Mall Is Hibbett, Finish Line, & The Aforementioned Cinemark Movie Theatre. The Village Bought It In 2024 And The Village And Mattel Have Plans To Turn It Into A Waterpark, It Hosts An Annual Music Fest That In 2025 Had Headliners Like Alabama, Flo Rida, & Daugherty

, the latest single from Fall Out Boy
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 20, 2026, 12:16:33 PMWe had one of those rare shopping centers here that had Sears and JCPenney.  The Sears store was replaced by Target on the ground floor and Hobby Lobby on the upper floor.

Somehow that JCPenney is hanging on with limited hours.  I wonder how long it will stay that way.

In Florida Mall Nordstrom became Dick's Sporting Goods on the first floor and the Crayola Experience attraction on the second level.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dfilpus

In Michigan, almost all malls had JL Hudson's, JC Penney and Sears, along with various fourth anchors. Now the Hudson's became Marshall Field's which became Macy's and Sears are gone.

Road Hog


roadman65

Google is so full of crap.  I asked why Livingston Mall in Livingston,  NJ closed and it said that the rise of nearby Mall at Short Hills killed them over time.


The thing wrong with that statement is the Mall at Short Hills predated Livingston.   Livingston Mall opened in 1972 while Short Hills opened in 1957.  It might be AI got Short Hills opening confused with its 1980 expansion, but even that didnt take away unless you were financially secure at the time. The Mall at Short Hills is High End and has boutiques and anchor store selling expensive brand names in that Livingston had the run of the mill stores along with Sears as one of its anchors with Nathan's Hot Dogs as one of many food places in its time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on July 13, 2026, 11:13:48 AMGoogle is so full of crap.  I asked why Livingston Mall in Livingston,  NJ closed and it said that the rise of nearby Mall at Short Hills killed them over time.


The thing wrong with that statement is the Mall at Short Hills predated Livingston.   Livingston Mall opened in 1972 while Short Hills opened in 1957.  It might be AI got Short Hills opening confused with its 1980 expansion, but even that didnt take away unless you were financially secure at the time. The Mall at Short Hills is High End and has boutiques and anchor store selling expensive brand names in that Livingston had the run of the mill stores along with Sears as one of its anchors with Nathan's Hot Dogs as one of many food places in its time.
I did a little looking and I think that is what they meant, the 1980 expansion at Short Hills which enclosed the mall is what killed it. Short Hills rode the upscale wave where Livingston was stuck in the middle.

roadman65

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 13, 2026, 11:25:04 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 13, 2026, 11:13:48 AMGoogle is so full of crap.  I asked why Livingston Mall in Livingston,  NJ closed and it said that the rise of nearby Mall at Short Hills killed them over time.


The thing wrong with that statement is the Mall at Short Hills predated Livingston.   Livingston Mall opened in 1972 while Short Hills opened in 1957.  It might be AI got Short Hills opening confused with its 1980 expansion, but even that didnt take away unless you were financially secure at the time. The Mall at Short Hills is High End and has boutiques and anchor store selling expensive brand names in that Livingston had the run of the mill stores along with Sears as one of its anchors with Nathan's Hot Dogs as one of many food places in its time.
I did a little looking and I think that is what they meant, the 1980 expansion at Short Hills which enclosed the mall is what killed it. Short Hills rode the upscale wave where Livingston was stuck in the middle.

Plus the credit card wave of the 80s and 90s allowed more middle class to just " Charge It!" didnt help either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

I-57/Route 66 Fan

The Ford City Mall in Chicago is officially closed.
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

kurumi

I've never been to the Westbrook outlet mall in CT, but I've seen the past improvements at I-95 and CT 153 to support it: double right turn lanes at I-95 NB exit, leading to double left from CT 153 SB onto Flat Rock Place (with overhead signs to guide you). https://maps.app.goo.gl/TPeiMdaH8eQUKvPd6

CTDOT has a plan to replace the CT 153 bridge over I-95: https://portal.ct.gov/DOTWestbrook0154-0128

I was curious to see what sort of capacity improvements would go in. Answer: none. In fact, the approaches to Flat Rock Place would become a single lane instead of two. WTF.

A little more research showed that outlet mall is just about dead, and not generating traffic anymore.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

BlueSky: https://bsky.app/profile/therealkurumi.bsky.social

Brandon

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on July 30, 2026, 03:40:50 PMThe Ford City Mall in Chicago is officially closed.

Yet another victim of Namdar.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on May 21, 2026, 10:29:14 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2026, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 21, 2026, 03:56:29 AM
Quote from: elsmere241 on May 20, 2026, 12:16:33 PMWe had one of those rare shopping centers here that had Sears and JCPenney.

That's rare? Just about every mall in Oklahoma I've been to had both.
That always struck me as normal.  Sears, Macy's, JCPenney, and the Bon Ton.  Or maybe that's just because that's what Marketplace Mall had.  Greece Ridge had both too.  Not sure if Eastview ever head Sears or what Medley Center had.
The two big malls in Madison (West Towne and East Towne) had JCPenney, Sears, and the Boston Store, which I think the Bon Ton owned before they went under. In other parts of the Midwest, Younkers and Carson's used the same branding, since those three were under the same ownership even before the Bon Ton bought them. The only Macy's in town is at the more upscale Hilldale Mall and was a Marshall Field's until Macy's bought them in 2006.

East Towne had, upon opening, JCPenney, Sears, Prange's (with Prange-Way), and Gimbel's.  Gimbel's became the first Boston Store location while Younkers took over Prange's.

West Towne had JCPenney, Sears, and Prange's.  Boston Store was added later.  Then Younkers took over the Pange's there.

Hilldale started with a Gimbel's-Schuster's, later just Gimbel's, originally built to be a Schuster's.  Then it became a Marshall Field's.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on July 30, 2026, 03:40:50 PMThe Ford City Mall in Chicago is officially closed.
Ford City was the original planned terminus of the Orange Line, and even though the extension from Midway was never built it was serious enough that Ford City was listed as a destination on Orange Line rollsigns. Imagine if the terminus of an L line was a shuttered mall (or even if somehow the L traffic could have saved it, though I doubt it given the general trend of malls). Granted, Baltimore had that problem with Owings Mills, though at least that station got some new transit-oriented development to replace the mall.

bing101


Stephane Dumas

I saw this post about Woodbine Center in Toronto via a thread on Skysraperpage.


Besides http://Deadmalls.com  I also saw a wiki about malls and retails. https://malls.fandom.com

MikeTheActuary

Shower thought: Is it really a dead mall if a funeral home or columbarium hasn't occupied a store front?

Great Lakes Roads

The Marquette Mall in Michigan City is currently being fenced off in preparation for demolition and redevelopment. The mall itself has been closed since 2017 with three former anchor stores- JCPenney (closed in 2015), Carson's (closed in 2018), and Sears (closed in 2019). The office tower that was attached to the mall is staying up as part of the redevelopment project.
-Jay Seaburg

Clinched States (Interstates): AL, AZ, DE, FL, HI, KS, MI, MN, NE, NH, RI, VT, WI

-- US 175 --

Ridgmar Mall in west Fort Worth, looks to be breathing its last.  It has been acquired by a company who wants to transform the site into a logistics/business park.  JCPenney was the last department store anchor to close, which happened recently.  The Ridgmar name will be retained as part of the new name.  This will only leave Hulen Mall, on the southwest side, as the only enclosed mall remaining in Fort Worth.  Besides Hulen, Northeast Mall (Hurst), Parks at Arlington, and Grapevine Mills are the remaining enclosed malls in the county.

-- US 175 --

The latest on redevelopment plans at the former Greenspoint Mall site in Houston.

https://youtu.be/V5RyIeJhFP4?is=K0p-QcX2qQTFOdBo

elsmere241

Not dead, but being hollowed out:

Concord Mall (on Concord Pike in Brandywine Hundred, DE) has filed a plan with New Castle County to keep Boscov's at one end, and the space Sears had on the other end, and replace the in-between with a single store.