"Biggest Holiday of the Year"

Started by ZLoth, September 06, 2026, 02:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

A day or so ago, I was overhearing the news from my mother's television when I heard the quote that the Labor Day holiday was the "Biggest Holiday of the year". Like most quotes that I take out of context (because I didn't hear the rest of the report), the reaction was "no way" and "Isn't Thanksgiving or Christmas bigger"?

Then, I thought about it more, and considered that each major holiday could be consider "the biggest" for certain key areas. So, I'm throwing up a poll asking which you consider "the biggest" holiday season and the context why you look at it that way.  And, yes, I'm intentionally omitting Super Bowl Sunday because technically, it isn't a US Holiday.
Wenn du siehst, dass ich renne, versuch dranzubleiben!
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.


gonealookin

At Lake Tahoe it's unquestionably July 4, and I'd think that's a common answer for many summer vacation (mountain/lake/beach) destinations.

Max Rockatansky

No option for Gemerton's Day?

TheHighwayMan3561

Tourism - July 4

Drinking - Thanksgiving

Retail sales - Christmas

Mattress sales - Presidents' Day  :bigass:
Let me take you down, cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields

jgb191

None of the above:  I vote my birthday as the biggest day of the year.
We are located so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Scott5114

For casinos in Oklahoma, New Year's Eve was always the biggest holiday of the year. I'm not sure if that's true in Las Vegas or not, although the Strip does put on a pretty nice fireworks show.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

The biggest holiday of the year is the end of DST because that day is 1 hour bigger than all the others.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

epzik8

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 06, 2026, 04:48:00 PMThe biggest holiday of the year is the end of DST because that day is 1 hour bigger than all the others.

I appreciate your thinking outside the box
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

flan

Only one holiday in the US has a whole specialized genre of music and movies that takes over the whole month leading up to the holiday, and that holiday is also the major gift exchange holiday. Even setting aside the religious significance I think Christmas wins handily.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: flan on September 06, 2026, 07:44:34 PMOnly one holiday in the US has a whole specialized genre of music and movies that takes over the whole month leading up to the holiday, and that holiday is also the major gift exchange holiday. Even setting aside the religious significance I think Christmas wins handily.

This. I'm an atheist and I'm picking Christmas without a doubt.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: flan on September 06, 2026, 07:44:34 PMOnly one holiday in the US has a whole specialized genre of music and movies that takes over the whole month leading up to the holiday

To be fair, this could also be said about Halloween, even if that's only religious for a very small minority of people and it's not any kind of official holiday at any level.
Let me take you down, cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields

Scott5114

Quote from: flan on September 06, 2026, 07:44:34 PMOnly one holiday in the US has a whole specialized genre of music and movies that takes over the whole month leading up to the holiday, and that holiday is also the major gift exchange holiday.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2026, 03:21:08 PMNo option for Gemerton's Day?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kurumi

Quote from: flan on September 06, 2026, 07:44:34 PMOnly one holiday in the US has a whole specialized genre of music and movies that takes over the whole month leading up to the holiday, and that holiday is also the major gift exchange holiday. Even setting aside the religious significance I think Christmas wins handily.

Yeah, Christmas stuff is already in stores. It's a full quarter holiday in terms of planning and prep. Almost as big as jgb191's birthday.

(If you don't set aside the religious significance, I'd argue that Good Friday thru Easter is more important in terms of core beliefs, but agree that Christmas is still bigger)

(Also, if your church's Christmas Eve service starts with a hymn other than "O Come all ye Faithful", and ends with any other than "Silent Night" and "Joy to the World" in that order, I'd be curious to know what they are)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

BlueSky: https://bsky.app/profile/therealkurumi.bsky.social

MikeTheActuary

There are two holidays in the US that almost everything shuts down for.

One of them is recognized internationally.

That's why I chose Christmas.

(I write as I finish my morning caffeine before having a 7am meeting on Labor Day....)

1995hoo

Quote from: kurumi on September 07, 2026, 01:38:21 AM(Also, if your church's Christmas Eve service starts with a hymn other than "O Come all ye Faithful", and ends with any other than "Silent Night" and "Joy to the World" in that order, I'd be curious to know what they are)

Most parishes I've attended use "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" as the recessional hymn for Christmas (regardless of Christmas Eve or the actual day).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ZLoth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2026, 03:21:08 PMNo option for Gemerton's Day?

Like Super Bowl Sunday, not an official holiday.
Wenn du siehst, dass ich renne, versuch dranzubleiben!
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on September 08, 2026, 04:33:51 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2026, 03:21:08 PMNo option for Gemerton's Day?

Like Super Bowl Sunday, not an official holiday.

It's extremely official. It has a schedule and everything.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ZLoth

Wenn du siehst, dass ich renne, versuch dranzubleiben!
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

plain

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 06, 2026, 04:29:36 PMFor casinos in Oklahoma, New Year's Eve was always the biggest holiday of the year. I'm not sure if that's true in Las Vegas or not, although the Strip does put on a pretty nice fireworks show.

Same thing with the casinos in DE (at least Dover & Harrington, anyway)
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

I voted for Independence Day partly because here in the DC area it's obviously a very big deal, but more importantly because I think it's generally celebrated on the actual day as a singular holiday, where Christmas has morphed into an ever-expanding "season" that often isn't even referred to by its own name and that drags on to the point where the actual day itself seems to get lost or to come at a point where a lot of people suffer fatigue from the weeks of hype and buildup.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ZLoth on September 08, 2026, 06:48:43 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2026, 06:16:56 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on September 08, 2026, 04:33:51 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2026, 03:21:08 PMNo option for Gemerton's Day?

Like Super Bowl Sunday, not an official holiday.

It's extremely official. It has a schedule and everything.

Not according to the list of Federal Holidays as published by the Office of Personnel Management.

That's because you don't know where the secret holiday menu is.  It is one of the things they show you after five years of Federal employment.

formulanone


NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 08, 2026, 08:03:21 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on September 08, 2026, 06:48:43 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2026, 06:16:56 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on September 08, 2026, 04:33:51 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2026, 03:21:08 PMNo option for Gemerton's Day?

Like Super Bowl Sunday, not an official holiday.

It's extremely official. It has a schedule and everything.

Not according to the list of Federal Holidays as published by the Office of Personnel Management.

That's because you don't know where the secret holiday menu is.  It is one of the things they show you after five years of Federal employment.

The secret menu got eliminated by DOGE.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%