News:

Check out the AARoads Wiki!

Main Menu

Interstate 42 (W)

Started by US71, May 22, 2021, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

The rate of I-42 shields with correctly centered numbers remains 0%.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef


bugo


Plutonic Panda


akt85

So there is an Interstate 42 in Arkansas and an Interstate 42 in North Carolina?

74/171FAN

Quote from: akt85 on September 08, 2026, 09:57:49 PMSo there is an Interstate 42 in Arkansas and an Interstate 42 in North Carolina?
Yes, there are two now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=markkos1992
Mob-Rule:  https://mob-rule.com/user/markkos1992

Bobby5280

Duplicate disconnected Interstates are nothing new. A few of them have been around for 50 years or more.

The Ghostbuster

Google Maps shows the completed road as AR 612, not Interstate 42. Apple Maps does too. Hopefully, both will be updated eventually. Also, the Interstate 42 Wikipedia page lists the future exit numbers for when 42 another 16 miles westward to the Arkansas/Oklahoma border: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_42_(Arkansas)#Exit_list.

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 09, 2026, 11:48:57 AMGoogle Maps shows the completed road as AR 612, not Interstate 42. Apple Maps does too. Hopefully, both will be updated eventually. Also, the Interstate 42 Wikipedia page lists the future exit numbers for when 42 another 16 miles westward to the Arkansas/Oklahoma border: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_42_(Arkansas)#Exit_list.

Waze now shows I-42
I can drive 55 ONLY when it makes sense.

NOTE: Opinions expressed here on AARoads are solely my own and do not represent or reflect the statements, opinions, or decisions of any agency. Any official information I share will be quoted or specified from another source.

My ideal speed limits (FAKE/FICTIONAL NOT OFFICIAL) :
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Ia4RR_BaYyzgJq4n3JcYzkNZjLYKzGQ

Molandfreak

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 09, 2026, 10:59:05 AMDuplicate disconnected Interstates are nothing new. A few of them have been around for 50 years or more.
But they all had no other option. This did, and AASHTO rubber stamped it anyway.

Inclusive infrastructure advocate

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of Morrison County, its cities and townships, or affiliated organizations.

Bobby5280

Quote from: MolandfreakBut they all had no other option.

I don't agree. Some of the shorter routes that turned into duplicates, such as I-76 in Colorado, could have been re-named as 3-digit routes when suffixed names like I-70S were removed. Longer ones, like I-84 in Utah, Idaho and Oregon could have been given other 2-digit designations that weren't duplicated already. The numbers may not have fit into the grid perfectly, but we already had topsy-turvy examples like I-82 running North of I-84. The Western I-84 could have actually been named I-82 and what became I-82 could have been I-92.

MikieTimT

They literally decided week before last according to Jay Payne, the Deputy Administrator from FHWA that spoke at the ribbon cutting ceremony.  That's why I saw an AR-612 shield from the overpass at the gas power plant at Tontitown at the southern end a few days before the ceremony and thought they were holding off until it connected further.  They literally replaced the shields a day or 2 before opening as signage has been up for a while prior to opening.  I guess they see the forward progress that Arkansas was making (project finished 9 months early along with AR-642) and had faith it would be pushed further within the next 10 years.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 09, 2026, 04:26:26 PM
Quote from: MolandfreakBut they all had no other option.

I don't agree. Some of the shorter routes that turned into duplicates, such as I-76 in Colorado, could have been re-named as 3-digit routes when suffixed names like I-70S were removed. Longer ones, like I-84 in Utah, Idaho and Oregon could have been given other 2-digit designations that weren't duplicated already. The numbers may not have fit into the grid perfectly, but we already had topsy-turvy examples like I-82 running North of I-84. The Western I-84 could have actually been named I-82 and what became I-82 could have been I-92.
Regardless, it's entirely nonsensical to assign a duplicate number when every other number between 46 and 62 is available and would fit the grid here.

Inclusive infrastructure advocate

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of Morrison County, its cities and townships, or affiliated organizations.

kphoger

Quote from: Molandfreak on September 09, 2026, 05:21:45 PMRegardless, it's entirely nonsensical to assign a duplicate number when every other number between 46 and 62 is available and would fit the grid here.


He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: Molandfreak on September 09, 2026, 05:21:45 PMRegardless, it's entirely nonsensical to assign a duplicate number when every other number between 46 and 62 is available and would fit the grid here.

Presumably, nobody outside of North Carolina takes North Carolina Interstates seriously.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Molandfreak

Quote from: kphoger on September 09, 2026, 05:37:35 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on September 09, 2026, 05:21:45 PMRegardless, it's entirely nonsensical to assign a duplicate number when every other number between 46 and 62 is available and would fit the grid here.

[image]

What makes you think that I care about the grid? Do I have to include in every post that I don't actually care about it and that any mention I make of it is just a bonus for the people who do?

Inclusive infrastructure advocate

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of Morrison County, its cities and townships, or affiliated organizations.

splashflash

#1265
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 06:20:34 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on September 09, 2026, 05:21:45 PMRegardless, it's entirely nonsensical to assign a duplicate number when every other number between 46 and 62 is available and would fit the grid here.

Presumably, nobody outside of North Carolina takes North Carolina Interstates seriously.

NC could squawk and get I-46 to renumber its route, as wasn't that the original request?

Molandfreak

Quote from: splashflash on September 09, 2026, 08:01:58 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 09, 2026, 06:20:34 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on September 09, 2026, 05:21:45 PMRegardless, it's entirely nonsensical to assign a duplicate number when every other number between 46 and 62 is available and would fit the grid here.

Presumably, nobody outside of North Carolina takes North Carolina Interstates seriously.

NC could squawk and get I-46 to renumbered its route as wasn't that the original request?
36

Inclusive infrastructure advocate

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of Morrison County, its cities and townships, or affiliated organizations.

Roadgeekteen

Will the western I-42 be longer than I-97 when completed? Because our famous trivia fact about I-97 might no longer be true soon.
My username has been outdated since August 2023 but I'm too lazy to change it

swake

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 10, 2026, 02:01:12 AMWill the western I-42 be longer than I-97 when completed? Because our famous trivia fact about I-97 might no longer be true soon.

I-42 in Arkansas and Oklahoma will be almost 200 miles long. Oklahoma could sign nearly 100 miles or so now but hasn't yet.

Mapmikey

Quote from: splashflash on September 09, 2026, 08:01:58 PMNC could squawk and get I-46 to renumber its route, as wasn't that the original request?

They originally requested I-36...

kphoger

Quote from: Molandfreak on September 09, 2026, 07:46:12 PMWhat makes you think that I care about the grid? Do I have to include in every post that I don't actually care about it and that any mention I make of it is just a bonus for the people who do?

Sorry, dude.  I don't keep track of who loves the grid and who doesn't care.  I read too much into your post.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rte66man

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 09, 2026, 04:48:15 PMThey literally decided week before last according to Jay Payne, the Deputy Administrator from FHWA that spoke at the ribbon cutting ceremony.  That's why I saw an AR-612 shield from the overpass at the gas power plant at Tontitown at the southern end a few days before the ceremony and thought they were holding off until it connected further.  They literally replaced the shields a day or 2 before opening as signage has been up for a while prior to opening.  I guess they see the forward progress that Arkansas was making (project finished 9 months early along with AR-642) and had faith it would be pushed further within the next 10 years.

That explains why I didn't see any I-42 shields whe we were through there on 8/30.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

                                                               -Yogi Berra

bugo

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 09, 2026, 11:48:57 AMGoogle Maps shows the completed road as AR 612, not Interstate 42. Apple Maps does too. Hopefully, both will be updated eventually. Also, the Interstate 42 Wikipedia page lists the future exit numbers for when 42 another 16 miles westward to the Arkansas/Oklahoma border: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_42_(Arkansas)#Exit_list.

I suggested a correction to Google to change AR 612 to I-42. I don't know if that's why they changed it or not, but I'm surprised they fixed it as soon as they did.

Road Hog

Maybe one day late this century, when I-42 gets extended out east via US 412 and I-155, the twain shall meet in the middle. But only by concurrencies.

CapeCodder

Quote from: Road Hog on September 18, 2026, 01:07:57 AMMaybe one day late this century, when I-42 gets extended out east via US 412 and I-155, the twain shall meet in the middle. But only by concurrencies.

That would be one hell of an expensive upgrade. An interstate along the roof of the Ozarks could be beneficial.