News:

Cloudflare is enabled due to bots continuing to hammer the Forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on August 13, 2026, 08:55:16 PMThose editors weren't wrong.
Well, I always look at other sites, including GSV to confirm or deny what's on those sources.



NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 15, 2026, 09:33:58 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 13, 2026, 08:55:16 PMThose editors weren't wrong.
Well, I always look at other sites, including GSV to confirm or deny what's on those sources.


Then cite GSV, not some motorcycle wanker site.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

#4377
Quote from: NE2 on August 16, 2026, 07:41:15 AMThen cite GSV, not some motorcycle wanker site.
Hey, if that "motorcycle wanker" site mentions some features to these roads, I see no problem adding them in. If they're bragging about how great of a ride it is for riding their bikes, I don't have to.


In the meantime, I recently found a pair of links of distance road signs on southbound US 441 in northern Lake County that both claim Orlando is 40 miles away.
*East of west end of FL 44 overlap

*East of west leg of Lake CR 44.


One of them has to be wrong.


ElishaGOtis

#4378
New bunch of new state roads just dropped and it's a doozy:
- D3 just did their frontage road imports but didn't classify them as anything different... nothing really to report here tbh (other than they still retain the shortest SR-385)
- D7 had some history-makers:
—SR-5001 Graves Rd (no SLD), follows I-75
—SR-5003 https://slogis.fdot.gov/blank.aspx?docId=110697
—SR-5009 Powerline Rd (no SLD), follows I-75
—SR-5050/5052 (no SLD) pair of service roads near I-75 on SR-52
—SR-93F/Morris Bridge Rd has been seemingly truncated to just 130-ish feet and redesigned SR-591 (formerly this: https://slogis.fdot.gov/blank.aspx?docId=110422)
—SR-582s somehow got designated on this slip ramp https://slogis.fdot.gov/blank.aspx?docId=110619

D7 is a total gold mine for quirky and cool SRs at the moment. More are listed on the full map. https://gis-fdot.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/fdot::state-roads-tda/explore

Just my personal findings, not an official FDOT release lol :spin:
I can drive 55 ONLY when it makes sense.

NOTE: Opinions expressed here on AARoads are solely my own and do not represent or reflect the statements, opinions, or decisions of any agency. Any official information I share will be quoted or specified from another source.

My ideal speed limits (FAKE/FICTIONAL NOT OFFICIAL) :
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Ia4RR_BaYyzgJq4n3JcYzkNZjLYKzGQ

NE2

#4379
Thanks for the heads up. I have GIS data from April 13, June 17, and August 19, and ran a diff on them. April-June saw St. Lucie County changes (deletion of 607 and 615 in exchange for 614 east from 713 to 5 and new 712) and the addition of 5001. June-August is the doozy, with the following:

*575 deleted

*157 connection to GA 111!
*275 at 79/277
*279 at 79/277
*283 (Escambia) at 95/295
*283 (Santa Rosa) off 281 south of 8
*287 at 10/291
*361 at 30/61
*391 at 190/397
*5009 at 93/Lockhart
*5050 at 93/52
*5052 at 93/52

*20F x4 (Tallahassee)
*30F (PCB)
*30S x3 (Fort Walton, Panama City, wye at 377)
*71F x2 (White City)
*71S (wye at 10)
*73S (wye at 10)
*81S (wye at 10)
*85F x4 (FWB airport)
*85S (crossunder at FWB airport)
*263F x3 (between 10 and 371)
*281F x2 (between 8 and 10)
*296S x2 (between 8A and 95)
*375S (wye at 30/61)
*752S (between 8A and 95)

By the way, 361 is the new shortest route, at only 111 feet long.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ElishaGOtis

#4380
Quote from: NE2 on August 19, 2026, 03:22:25 PMThanks for the heads up. I have GIS data from April 13, June 17, and August 19, and ran a diff on them. April-June saw St. Lucie County changes (deletion of 607 and 615 in exchange for 614 east from 713 to 5 and new 712) and the addition of 5001. June-August is the doozy, with the following:

*575 deleted

*157 connection to GA 111!
*275 at 79/277
*279 at 79/277
*283 (Escambia) at 95/295
*283 (Santa Rosa) off 281 south of 8
*287 at 10/291
*361 at 30/61
*391 at 190/397
*5009 at 93/Lockhart
*5050 at 93/52
*5052 at 93/52

*20F x4 (Tallahassee)
*30F (PCB)
*30S x3 (Fort Walton, Panama City, wye at 377)
*71F x2 (White City)
*71S (wye at 10)
*73S (wye at 10)
*81S (wye at 10)
*85F x4 (FWB airport)
*85S (crossunder at FWB airport)
*263F x3 (between 10 and 371)
*281F x2 (between 8 and 10)
*296S x2 (between 8A and 95)
*375S (wye at 30/61)
*752S (between 8A and 95)

By the way, 361 is the new shortest route, at only 111 feet long.

Holy cannoli, that literally just updated on the TDA page today.  :spin: Thank YOU for sharing this!!

I'm surprised they went with 157 for the short connector... yes, that is the adjacent CR number but I would have thought 1111 would have been a bit more effective lol :)
I can drive 55 ONLY when it makes sense.

NOTE: Opinions expressed here on AARoads are solely my own and do not represent or reflect the statements, opinions, or decisions of any agency. Any official information I share will be quoted or specified from another source.

My ideal speed limits (FAKE/FICTIONAL NOT OFFICIAL) :
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Ia4RR_BaYyzgJq4n3JcYzkNZjLYKzGQ

lepidopteran

A couple of years ago, I noticed one of the very last color US shields in existence, at least "in the wild".  A red US-1 shield was in Palm Beach County, on Military Trail (County Route 809) southbound, leading to the intersection with Palmetto Park Rd.  This was really a "To" sign for both 1 and A1A, the latter of which appears to also be an older style shield.

Sadly, when going through Boca last week, it appeared to be gone. A standard US-1 shield in the "acorn" style was up in its place.  Actually, I think they replaced the whole sign assembly, as it was already rusting and leaning a bit there in GSV, and IIRC they added another route shield to the sign as well; possibly I-95, which would make sense at that location.

ElishaGOtis

#4382
Found a legitimate pedestrian speed limit (obviously intended for bicycles, but the statute specifically states "pedestrian" which includes bicycles in this context).


FSS 316.130(1) states:
Quote(1) A pedestrian shall obey the instructions of any official traffic control device specifically applicable to the pedestrian unless otherwise directed by a police officer.

Granted, it's hard to get to 10mph as a pedestrian, but still...

Surprisingly, it's not the first posted pedestrian speed limit I've seen in Florida, but the other one is a mere technicality based on a "no running" rule rather than a strict numerical speed limit. 5km/h (yes km/h technically) located in the EPCOT France pavilion.


Image from https://www.tampabaybeacons.com/2026/09/02/pinellas-has-few-rules-for-e-bikes-could-that-soon-change/
I can drive 55 ONLY when it makes sense.

NOTE: Opinions expressed here on AARoads are solely my own and do not represent or reflect the statements, opinions, or decisions of any agency. Any official information I share will be quoted or specified from another source.

My ideal speed limits (FAKE/FICTIONAL NOT OFFICIAL) :
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Ia4RR_BaYyzgJq4n3JcYzkNZjLYKzGQ

Great Lakes Roads

Lee County Toll System Upgrades Begin

Lee County, Florida, advised motorists that crews will be working over the next several weeks on Leeway ETC system upgrades at the Sanibel Causeway, Cape Coral Bridge, and Midpoint Bridge. The work will require temporary daytime closures of single lanes, and drivers are urged to exercise caution in and around work areas.

The county is replacing most of the components of the electronic toll technology it first installed on the bridges in 1996. According to a spokesperson, installation work involves a new central processing host system, lane controllers and roadside system support servers, a digital video auditing system, a maintenance online management system, and an intelligent vehicle identification system with an optical profile unifying system for axle counting and vehicle separation. The new technology will be integrated with existing readers and violation enforcement cameras.

The project will not replace the county's current manual image review solution or LeeWay customer account system. The spokesperson added that the technology upgrades position Lee County "for continued support of tolling interoperability."

Lee County DOT piggybacked off a Florida DOT contract with TransCore for the project.
-Jay Seaburg

Clinched States (Interstates): AL, AZ, DE, FL, HI, KS, MI, MN, NE, NH, RI, VT, WI

D-Dey65

Regarding SR 47 at Exit 423 on Interstate 75. What's with the two extra right-of-ways along the southbound lanes? Are they for relocated southbound lanes? Bicycle paths? Flood control? I'd even consider an old railroad right-of-way, but something about that doesn't seem right.

1995hoo

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 14, 2026, 07:36:29 AMRegarding SR 47 at Exit 423 on Interstate 75. What's with the two extra right-of-ways along the southbound lanes? Are they for relocated southbound lanes? Bicycle paths? Flood control? I'd even consider an old railroad right-of-way, but something about that doesn't seem right.


It looks like a dried-up streambed. Turn the camera around the other way and you'll notice that a ramp, and all the streets and driveways, have culverts running beneath them and the sidewalk has a fence all the way down one side. And if you flip it into map view, you'll see it shows a creek there. There's also a drainage pipe visible across from the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp, apparently coming down from the Super 8 up on the hill.

None of the older Street View images show any water there, so perhaps there was once a creek that dried up, or perhaps it's a stormwater-management feature.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2026, 08:31:45 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 14, 2026, 07:36:29 AMRegarding SR 47 at Exit 423 on Interstate 75. What's with the two extra right-of-ways along the southbound lanes? Are they for relocated southbound lanes? Bicycle paths? Flood control? I'd even consider an old railroad right-of-way, but something about that doesn't seem right.


It looks like a dried-up streambed. Turn the camera around the other way and you'll notice that a ramp, and all the streets and driveways, have culverts running beneath them and the sidewalk has a fence all the way down one side. And if you flip it into map view, you'll see it shows a creek there. There's also a drainage pipe visible across from the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp, apparently coming down from the Super 8 up on the hill.

None of the older Street View images show any water there, so perhaps there was once a creek that dried up, or perhaps it's a stormwater-management feature.

1983 Historic Aerial shows it full of water.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 14, 2026, 07:10:30 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2026, 08:31:45 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 14, 2026, 07:36:29 AMRegarding SR 47 at Exit 423 on Interstate 75. What's with the two extra right-of-ways along the southbound lanes? Are they for relocated southbound lanes? Bicycle paths? Flood control? I'd even consider an old railroad right-of-way, but something about that doesn't seem right.


It looks like a dried-up streambed. Turn the camera around the other way and you'll notice that a ramp, and all the streets and driveways, have culverts running beneath them and the sidewalk has a fence all the way down one side. And if you flip it into map view, you'll see it shows a creek there. There's also a drainage pipe visible across from the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp, apparently coming down from the Super 8 up on the hill.

None of the older Street View images show any water there, so perhaps there was once a creek that dried up, or perhaps it's a stormwater-management feature.

1983 Historic Aerial shows it full of water.
That makes more sense. And yes, I turned the camera around and saw the culverts.


D-Dey65

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on February 06, 2026, 08:10:00 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 06, 2026, 07:47:24 PMWhen I was getting into Wikipedia for the first time I was finding out some interesting information about a lot of roads, including the roads of Florida. Some of the roads I found out about were State, County, and secondary suffixed alternate routes of both hidden and exposed state roads, including one that became Alachua County Road 25A at one time in Micanopy. Unfortunately, some editors didn't believe this and other routes like this existed. Now I have proof;
https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=11&lat=29.506389&lon=-82.281944

Just wait 'till they learn about SR-25S in Gainesville  :bigass:  :popcorn:
Hey, speaking of which, that part of the article said SR 25S had no name. I saw old maps indicating that it used to be part of South Main Street. and thus SR 329.



NE2

I just noticed that FDOT GIS data shows SR 686A extending to I-275, while signs (including mile markers) are explicit about SR 690 being the road east of the merge.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Great Lakes Roads

https://fox49.tv/news/local/desantis-floats-ending-florida-turnpike-tolls-for-residents-amid-20-billion-expansion

Quote$20 billion to widen all 320 miles

Florida is investing or planning to invest more than $20 billion to widen the entire 320-mile Turnpike mainline, from South Florida through Central Florida to Interstate 75 in Wildwood.

When finished, every section will have at least six lanes, adding more than 965 lane miles of capacity.

During DeSantis' tenure, the state says 284 lane miles have already been added across the Turnpike system, including 179 along the mainline. Pasted text

Central Florida has already seen some of the results. Widening between State Road 50 in Clermont and Hancock Road in Minneola was completed in June, while additional widened sections have opened in Miami-Dade County.

FDOT officials said two Turnpike projects recently opened about 14 months ahead of schedule.

Quote$8.5 million makeover for service plazas

DeSantis also wants the Turnpike's rest stops to become destinations drivers actually want to use.

The state announced nearly $8.5 million in new restaurants, amenities and customer services, covering 19 restaurant and retail locations across six service plazas.

Sixteen are expected to reopen this year.

At Turkey Lake, new options include Zaxby's and Jimmy John's, while other restaurant and retail concepts are being refreshed. Charging infrastructure for electric vehicles has also been expanded over the years. Pasted text

DeSantis joked that travelers sometimes plan road trips around stops at places such as Buc-ee's — and said Florida's Turnpike plazas should compete for those drivers.
-Jay Seaburg

Clinched States (Interstates): AL, AZ, DE, FL, HI, KS, MI, MN, NE, NH, RI, VT, WI

Plutonic Panda

Good it needs it.

formulanone

The newest parking lots for the Turnpike service plazas suck ass are annoyingly labyrinthine.

Beltway

About $500,000 per rest area? Wonder how much that will provide.
Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Plutonic Panda

20 mile project to widen I-4 to six lanes:

Quote$85 million for Florida DOT to construct a general use lane in each direction along approximately 20 miles of I-4 between State Road 434 and State Road 472 in Seminole and Volusia Counties. The project will expand freight capacity and relieve bottleneck congestion, saving time and money for American families and freight carriers.

- https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/trumps-transportation-secretary-sean-p-duffy-invests-426-million-eliminate

NE2

What is this, 2006? I-4 is already 6+ lanes all the way.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: NE2 on October 02, 2026, 03:55:51 PMWhat is this, 2006? I-4 is already 6+ lanes all the way.
You're correct, they're going to be adding an additional lane, which would make it four lanes each way. Honestly, I've driven the entire length of interstate 4, like two or three times in my lifetime. I just made an assumption. These press releases aren't giving much information.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 03:57:51 PM
Quote from: NE2 on October 02, 2026, 03:55:51 PMWhat is this, 2006? I-4 is already 6+ lanes all the way.
You're correct, they're going to be adding an additional lane, which would make it four lanes each way. Honestly, I've driven the entire length of interstate 4, like two or three times in my lifetime. I just made an assumption. These press releases aren't giving much information.
That's correct. They are going to add a 4th GP lane in each direction.
-Jay Seaburg

Clinched States (Interstates): AL, AZ, DE, FL, HI, KS, MI, MN, NE, NH, RI, VT, WI

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 03:50:37 PM20 mile project to widen I-4 to six lanes:

Quote$85 million for Florida DOT to construct a general use lane in each direction along approximately 20 miles of I-4 between State Road 434 and State Road 472 in Seminole and Volusia Counties. The project will expand freight capacity and relieve bottleneck congestion, saving time and money for American families and freight carriers.


- https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/trumps-transportation-secretary-sean-p-duffy-invests-426-million-eliminate

I'm assuming this does not include the Express Lane project?
I can drive 55 ONLY when it makes sense.

NOTE: Opinions expressed here on AARoads are solely my own and do not represent or reflect the statements, opinions, or decisions of any agency. Any official information I share will be quoted or specified from another source.

My ideal speed limits (FAKE/FICTIONAL NOT OFFICIAL) :
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Ia4RR_BaYyzgJq4n3JcYzkNZjLYKzGQ

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on October 02, 2026, 04:13:39 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 03:50:37 PM20 mile project to widen I-4 to six lanes:

Quote$85 million for Florida DOT to construct a general use lane in each direction along approximately 20 miles of I-4 between State Road 434 and State Road 472 in Seminole and Volusia Counties. The project will expand freight capacity and relieve bottleneck congestion, saving time and money for American families and freight carriers.


- https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/trumps-transportation-secretary-sean-p-duffy-invests-426-million-eliminate

I'm assuming this does not include the Express Lane project?
I'm not sure that press release was a joke. It barely provided any information at all about the proposed projects.