Daily conversation: What is the worst possible answer?

Started by kphoger, July 17, 2025, 10:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Ginger

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 20, 2026, 12:02:10 AM9/20/26
Which Mississippi River auto bridge is the prettiest?
Whoserwhatsits?

I like the William S. Ritchie Jr. Bridge in Ravenswood, W. Va.
"A beltway? What in the world is that?"

He/him pronouns, please.
Travel Mapping · TM Rail · TM Air · Counties


formulanone

Quote from: The_Ginger on September 20, 2026, 12:07:24 AM
Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 20, 2026, 12:02:10 AM9/20/26
Which Mississippi River auto bridge is the prettiest?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 20, 2026, 12:06:06 AMSorry, I only care about manual bridges.
What about semi-auto bridges?
Nah, I don't want my teeth confiscated by TSA.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 20, 2026, 12:02:10 AM9/20/26
Which Mississippi River auto bridge is the prettiest?

The Harahan Bridge (eastbound only).

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: I-57/Route 66 Fan on September 20, 2026, 12:02:10 AM9/20/26
Which Mississippi River auto bridge is the prettiest?
The old Black Hawk Bridge in its current state.

kphoger


He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?
that it crosses a state line.

I-57/Route 66 Fan

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?
One-lane dirt road, with a 12.5 MPH speed limit,  that only golf carts can go on.


Is this aimed at me???
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

They mean the standards of I-180 (WY).

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

#5984
Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

The highway is Outrageously Dependable. (We'll see if this is too obscure.)

kurumi

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

Best to explain this with specific examples:

Controlled access, like I-180 in Wyoming and I-70 in Breezewood
Connects major highways, population centers, or strategic facilities, like I-180 in Illinois
Two or more thru lanes, like I-70 in the Wheeling Tunnel
Connects to another interstate with a system interchange, like I-587 in New York
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

BlueSky: https://bsky.app/profile/therealkurumi.bsky.social

xonhulu

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

It can get a magical blue shield that will grant prosperity & eternal happiness to all the areas it serves.

kphoger

Quote from: xonhulu on September 21, 2026, 12:56:39 PMIt can get a magical blue shield that will grant prosperity & eternal happiness to all the areas it serves.

Well, you've set the bar.  It will be hard to beat that answer.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

It basically is the road enthusiast equivalent to the dude whose dating standards are too high.  He could and should settle for a nice US or State route.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2026, 01:12:19 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

It basically is the road enthusiast equivalent to the dude whose dating standards are too high.  He could and should settle for a nice US or State route.
So, bringing a highway to interstate standards is like if the highway went to the gym, worked hard to make a lot of money, and got rizz in order to become more attractive to other highways with high standards?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of 45 FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn. Unabashed HAWK hater. ORU '26.

Route Log
Clinches
Counties
TM

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

Whatever helps them make their point in an argument.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 21, 2026, 02:53:06 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2026, 01:12:19 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

It basically is the road enthusiast equivalent to the dude whose dating standards are too high.  He could and should settle for a nice US or State route.
So, bringing a highway to interstate standards is like if the highway went to the gym, worked hard to make a lot of money, and got rizz in order to become more attractive to other highways with high standards?

That Gen-Z analogy indeed makes it the worst one possible. 

Think of it this way.  A dude can just be himself and find a nice Warthan Canyon-like segment of CA 198 to settle down with.  Instead of being happy with that he opts to go find the super high maintenance Interstate freeway.  Seems glamorous until that Interstate keeps dipping into budget allocations looking for more and more repair funds.

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 21, 2026, 02:53:06 PMrizz

I appreciate that you must have used that word ironically in order to win 'worst possible answer', but I refuse to give you the satisfaction.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2026, 03:04:13 PMThat Gen-Z analogy indeed makes it the worst one possible.

Nice to see our minds were going in the same direction.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 21, 2026, 03:04:13 PMThink of it this way.  A dude can just be himself and find a nice Warthan Canyon-like segment of CA 198 to settle down with.  Instead of being happy with that he opts to go find the super high maintenance Interstate freeway.  Seems glamorous until that Interstate keeps dipping into budget allocations looking for more and more repair funds.

—Dude, she's like Glenwood Canyon.

—Dude, she's like the Virgin River Gorge.  Or should I say, Slut River Gorge.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The_Ginger

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?
The shoulders are exactly 1 foot wide on both sides. A single millimeter off and it's not to standards.
"A beltway? What in the world is that?"

He/him pronouns, please.
Travel Mapping · TM Rail · TM Air · Counties

The_Ginger

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?
When the newly-installed Flock cameras notice that the steel in bridges has extended past the 0.01 millimeter threshold of leeway.
"A beltway? What in the world is that?"

He/him pronouns, please.
Travel Mapping · TM Rail · TM Air · Counties

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

The overwhelming majority of the traffic uses the left lane (or left lanes), leaving the right lane open out of fear of encountering someone coming from an on-ramp.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

It bypasses Sugar Grove, IL.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

I-57/Route 66 Fan

Quote from: NE2 on September 21, 2026, 05:29:41 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

It bypasses Sugar Grove, IL.
2 things:
1. I think this is the winner!!!!
2. Did I start a meme on here, by accident?
Everything Is Better On The Radio


I Hope To Re-Activate Old Threads


Cancel I-11, I-14, I-2, I-73, I-74 in North Carolina, I-57 in Arkansas, I-42, and I-41, like now


As a human I approve of this post


Warning: My opinions might not be true

Declan127

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2026, 10:56:34 AM21 SEP 2026

When people talk about a highway being up to "Interstate standards" or not, what do they mean by that term?

That it's practically worthless if youre trying to reach another point within your area
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!