Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

The new section of I-41 in Grand Chute around the curve is fully lit around the curve.I wonder if it's just the curve that will receive lights or the entire stretch on the north side of Appleton?


peterj920

Now Stevens Point is looking into making Clark Street a two way street and rerouting Wis 66 through the city. Between Manitowoc, Madison, and Stevens Point there seems to be a lot of reroute requests initiated by cities. 

The Ghostbuster

Clark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2026, 08:26:16 PMClark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.

Oh I am completely the opposite. I love them. They slow down traffic and make commercial districts much easier to manage. I completely understand why cities want them.


Quote from: peterj920 on September 21, 2026, 07:27:51 PMBetween Manitowoc, Madison, and Stevens Point there seems to be a lot of reroute requests initiated by cities. 

I think its obvious that these cities don't find much benefit to these routes being state highways.

The Ghostbuster

Perhaps if STH 66 hadn't been extended along former CTH P to end at STH 13/34, STH 66 could've ended at Interstate 39's/US 51's Exit 159.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2026, 08:26:16 PMClark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.
I completely agree. I hate this new fad of these one-way street to two-way conversions.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 22, 2026, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2026, 08:26:16 PMClark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.
I completely agree. I hate this new fad of these one-way street to two-way conversions.


New? Cities have been doing this for decades now.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 22, 2026, 03:32:23 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 22, 2026, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2026, 08:26:16 PMClark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.
I completely agree. I hate this new fad of these one-way street to two-way conversions.


New? Cities have been doing this for decades now.
I didn't word it right, but it does seem like more and more cities are doing this. I know of three different projects in Oklahoma alone, where they're doing this, some of it makes sense because they don't have a lot of traffic issues. One thing that helped New York, in my opinion, was one-way traffic streets with an incredible grid.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 22, 2026, 03:34:34 PMOne thing that helped New York, in my opinion, was one-way traffic streets with an incredible grid.

Most cities aren't New York, though. Duluth, MN has been undoing some of its one-way network over the last 10+ years, because it's just not that big and trafflic flow is probably better with the 2-way conversions.
Let me take you down, cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on September 22, 2026, 04:24:36 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 22, 2026, 03:34:34 PMOne thing that helped New York, in my opinion, was one-way traffic streets with an incredible grid.

Most cities aren't New York, though. Duluth, MN has been undoing some of its one-way network over the last 10+ years, because it's just not that big and trafflic flow is probably better with the 2-way conversions.
That is true. There's a lot of cities that are not doing it, but there's a lot of cities that are doing it. There are some places I think they shouldn't be doing it. One place I don't think they should be doing it is Norman, Oklahoma.

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on September 21, 2026, 07:27:51 PMNow Stevens Point is looking into making Clark Street a two way street and rerouting Wis 66 through the city. Between Manitowoc, Madison, and Stevens Point there seems to be a lot of reroute requests initiated by cities. 
and Main Street?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

peterj920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 22, 2026, 11:09:29 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2026, 08:26:16 PMClark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.

Oh I am completely the opposite. I love them. They slow down traffic and make commercial districts much easier to manage. I completely understand why cities want them.


Quote from: peterj920 on September 21, 2026, 07:27:51 PMBetween Manitowoc, Madison, and Stevens Point there seems to be a lot of reroute requests initiated by cities.

I think its obvious that these cities don't find much benefit to these routes being state highways.

Manitowoc finds great value with state highways. That's why one bridge is US 10 and the other Wis 42 so the drawbridges can continue to receive state aid. They wanted US 10 off the one way pair onto the 4 lane Maritime Dr so 8th/10th & 11th streets could become two way streets.

Green Bay and Milwaukee have more urban state highways than other cities. My guess is that they want the connecting highway aid from the state.

Molandfreak

Quote from: peterj920 on September 29, 2026, 02:07:36 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 22, 2026, 11:09:29 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2026, 08:26:16 PMClark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.

Oh I am completely the opposite. I love them. They slow down traffic and make commercial districts much easier to manage. I completely understand why cities want them.


Quote from: peterj920 on September 21, 2026, 07:27:51 PMBetween Manitowoc, Madison, and Stevens Point there seems to be a lot of reroute requests initiated by cities.

I think its obvious that these cities don't find much benefit to these routes being state highways.

Manitowoc finds great value with state highways. That's why one bridge is US 10 and the other Wis 42 so the drawbridges can continue to receive state aid. They wanted US 10 off the one way pair onto the 4 lane Maritime Dr so 8th/10th & 11th streets could become two way streets.

Green Bay and Milwaukee have more urban state highways than other cities. My guess is that they want the connecting highway aid from the state.
My guess is that Manitowoc saw what's going on in Bay City and heeded that warning when negotiating the turnback agreements.

Inclusive infrastructure advocate

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of Morrison County, its cities and townships, or affiliated organizations.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe STH 42 should have remained on its through-town route in Manitowoc and not rerouted to bypass the city via Interstate 43 and US 10. Also, I think the streets along the old 10 alignment should have remained one-way.

Molandfreak

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 30, 2026, 10:44:29 PMMaybe STH 42 should have remained on its through-town route in Manitowoc and not rerouted to bypass the city via Interstate 43 and US 10. Also, I think the streets along the old 10 alignment should have remained one-way.
What do you mean? It no longer bypasses the city.

Inclusive infrastructure advocate

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of Morrison County, its cities and townships, or affiliated organizations.

invincor

They're doing some work on the Prescott drawbridge that carries US 10 across the St Croix River into Minnesota on the overnights in the first part of this week. 
They have a temporary detour posted, and apparently they can only use state highways for it, meaning anyone wanting to follow it must go all the way to River Falls and then up to Hudson on WIS 35 and then cross over into Minnesota on I-94.  Smart locals who need that trip in late night hours will just head directly to Hudson on County F and save a lot of time. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on September 29, 2026, 02:07:36 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 22, 2026, 11:09:29 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2026, 08:26:16 PMClark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.

Oh I am completely the opposite. I love them. They slow down traffic and make commercial districts much easier to manage. I completely understand why cities want them.


Quote from: peterj920 on September 21, 2026, 07:27:51 PMBetween Manitowoc, Madison, and Stevens Point there seems to be a lot of reroute requests initiated by cities.

I think its obvious that these cities don't find much benefit to these routes being state highways.

Manitowoc finds great value with state highways. That's why one bridge is US 10 and the other Wis 42 so the drawbridges can continue to receive state aid. They wanted US 10 off the one way pair onto the 4 lane Maritime Dr so 8th/10th & 11th streets could become two way streets.

Green Bay and Milwaukee have more urban state highways than other cities. My guess is that they want the connecting highway aid from the state.


Aren't all of the bridges across the Fox required to hold a state designation?

Big John

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 05, 2026, 03:44:32 PMAren't all of the bridges across the Fox required to hold a state designation?
The proposed Southbridge by De Pere will have a County GV designation.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Big John on October 05, 2026, 04:42:14 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 05, 2026, 03:44:32 PMAren't all of the bridges across the Fox required to hold a state designation?
The proposed Southbridge by De Pere will have a County GV designation.


Right, but I believe that it can do that because it sits above the dam at DePere.

triplemultiplex

I'm sure Green Bay et. al. would prefer all the crossings of a commercially navigable river like the Fox be the state's maintenance burden. ;)
Not quite a 'rule' but more of a modus operandi for the municipalities, I assume.
Upstream from De Pere, it's all recreational boating so that's not a concern.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 05, 2026, 03:44:32 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on September 29, 2026, 02:07:36 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 22, 2026, 11:09:29 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2026, 08:26:16 PMClark St. (and the surrounding streets on existing STH 66) should remain one-way. I hate one-way-to-two-way conversions.

Oh I am completely the opposite. I love them. They slow down traffic and make commercial districts much easier to manage. I completely understand why cities want them.


Quote from: peterj920 on September 21, 2026, 07:27:51 PMBetween Manitowoc, Madison, and Stevens Point there seems to be a lot of reroute requests initiated by cities.

I think its obvious that these cities don't find much benefit to these routes being state highways.

Manitowoc finds great value with state highways. That's why one bridge is US 10 and the other Wis 42 so the drawbridges can continue to receive state aid. They wanted US 10 off the one way pair onto the 4 lane Maritime Dr so 8th/10th & 11th streets could become two way streets.

Green Bay and Milwaukee have more urban state highways than other cities. My guess is that they want the connecting highway aid from the state.


Aren't all of the bridges across the Fox required to hold a state designation?

The Veterans Lift Bridge in Kaukauna across the Fox is Catherine St, County N crosses between Kimberly and Little Chute. Appleton has the Lawe Street,College Ave, Olde Oneida, and Oneida Street bridges. None are state highways.