News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tollway Facility signs used as advertizing.

Started by Brian556, October 13, 2011, 01:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeper1

No, but the sponsorship contract citizen's Bank has with the now-defunct Mass Turnpike Authority (now part of MassDOT) expires at the end of the year, and MassDOT decided not to renew and to just change to the standard EZPass signage that the other states use.  Probably because, as an agency, MassDOT gets federal funds and the old Mass Tpk Authority did not.   

New Mass Turnpike transponders just say EZ_Pass and not Fast Lane on them.

codyg1985

Quote from: Brian556 on October 14, 2011, 08:33:27 PM
QuoteI've seen interstate trailblazers lots farther away than six miles in lots of places.
The only time i've seen this is near Chattanooga, TN. "TO I-59 XX MILES" assemblies are posted on I-24 heading west out of Chattanooga, but I believe the reasoning is that: #1. People would expect Interstate junctions to be at major cities, not in rural area; #2. The overheads at the I-75 junction, If iremember correctly, mention I-59.

That is correct. The signs going south on I-75 say "WEST I-24/TO I-59 Chattanooga Birmingham": http://g.co/maps/dptzj

I-59 is not mentioned going NB on I-75 before the I-24 split: http://g.co/maps/ewujh

On a similar token, I-185 is mentioned in Alabama in Phenix City, AL even though I-185 is entirely within Georgia: http://g.co/maps/b8egx
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

PurdueBill

Quote from: Beeper1 on November 08, 2011, 06:09:58 PM
New Mass Turnpike transponders just say EZ_Pass and not Fast Lane on them.

The new Mass Pike transponder I got in May (replacing my first one, a BankBoston Fast Lane one from like 1998--BankBoston was the sponsor before Citizens) was probably an interim one, as it is nearly totally plain.  No logo, old or new, and just a label with the "if found, please return to..." address on it and a serial number and small barcode, all black and white.  Pretty plain.

PAHighways

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 15, 2011, 08:57:10 AM
The new Mass Pike transponder I got in May (replacing my first one, a BankBoston Fast Lane one from like 1998--BankBoston was the sponsor before Citizens) was probably an interim one, as it is nearly totally plain.

You got 13 years out of a transponder?  That was one durable battery considering I only got four out of my first E-ZPass transponder.

PAHighways

I see Giant Eagle and AAA logos at the Pennsylvania Turnpike System booths, advertising where one can pick up an E-ZPass transponder.

Now that they have State Farm sponsoring the roadside assistance, there are signs such as this one appearing along the road.

PurdueBill

Quote from: PAHighways on November 15, 2011, 06:12:28 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on November 15, 2011, 08:57:10 AM
You got 13 years out of a transponder?  That was one durable battery considering I only got four out of my first E-ZPass transponder.

When I traded it in, they tested it and said that it was getting weak.  It probably helped that it had relatively light use for several of the years.  I was disappointed that there was no logo at all (E-ZPass, Pilgrim hat, etc.) on it.

NE2

This is just putting up signs without thinking. If you continue straight, there's an expensive flyover that's completely useless if traffic turns here (the Goog shows it's 1 mile longer but 1 minute faster to use the flyover). You also enter the toll road earlier if you continue straight.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: Brian556 on October 14, 2011, 08:33:27 PM
QuoteI've seen interstate trailblazers lots farther away than six miles in lots of places.
The only time i've seen this is near Chattanooga, TN. "TO I-59 XX MILES" assemblies are posted on I-24 heading west out of Chattanooga, but I believe the reasoning is that: #1. People would expect Interstate junctions to be at major cities, not in rural area; #2. The overheads at the I-75 junction, If iremember correctly, mention I-59.

They could solve that problem by extending I-59 to I-75.

bugo

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 16, 2011, 12:14:16 PM
These have been around Illinois for as long as i can remember.
http://www.routemarkers.com/usa/Illinois/Tollway.jpg

Where is that, and what is the "Illinois Tollway"?

Brandon

Quote from: bugo on December 18, 2014, 04:27:09 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on October 16, 2011, 12:14:16 PM
These have been around Illinois for as long as i can remember.
http://www.routemarkers.com/usa/Illinois/Tollway.jpg

Where is that, and what is the "Illinois Tollway"?

These are all over northern Illinois, and refer to one of the four Illinois Tollways: North-South Twy, East-West Twy, Northwest Twy, and Tri-State Twy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Happens all the time in New York. Any road maintained by the Thruway Authority gets the generic NYSTA trailblazer. Typically, shields are used only at the interchange itself. I've seen NYSTA shields several miles away from the Thruway and they are not limited to roads intersecting the Thruway. For example, there are shields at the US 20 / NY 16 / NY 78 intersection pointing toward the north. I can't think of further examples off the top of my head, but I know they exist.

Since it is a toll road, you could throw the Peace Bridge in there. There's one on US 20 WB at RM 36.6 in Lancaster (pointing straight), east of the CR 242/Bowen Rd intersection. There is no further signage on US 20 or the physical road. A BUNCH of these exist around Buffalo and many are as random.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

There are quite a few shields for the bridges the New York State Bridge Authority maintains; the Thousand Islands Bridge does as well.  Mentions of I-81 are effectively drowned out at the TIB and signage for it is often absent entirely, which is a huge contrast to the Thruway (which plays second fiddle to the interstates along the road itself).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.