Albums you personally enjoy listening to from start to finish

Started by Laura, October 03, 2014, 10:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: 7/8 on September 11, 2016, 03:47:21 PM
Sorry to raise an old thread, but I was pleasantly surprised by all the responses about Genesis, which is one of my favourite bands! I'm also hoping some newer members will chime in here.
I periodically add entire album collections from my CDs to my Ipod for the car, and most recently I added my Genesis collection.  For the last week or two, my commute has been running through every album - studio and live - from "From Genesis to Revelation" to the 2007 live album.  Tomorrow morning I'll be finishing off Duke and then Abacab is taking me home.  I'm burning through as many Tony Banks keyboard solos as one can stand right now, but I suppose it's penance for missing the 2007 tour when I had the chance (at least I got to see them in '92).

BTW, you're not 41 instead of 21 with that album list?  A good portion of that sounds like my collection.

inkyatari

Guess I'll throw my two cents in here...

Steely Dan - Aja
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
The Cars - Just What I Needed (Box set)
Genesis - Genesis, Duke, Invisible Touch
King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, Dogman, XV
Panic! At The Disco - Death of a Bachelor
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Weird AL - just about every album
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

wphiii

Probably like 95% of my music listening is through very deliberately constructed playlists or self-made "Best Of"s for various artists, so this is pretty much the exhaustive list of the albums I'll occasionally be in the mood to listen to from start to finish:

The Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (White Album)
Beck - Sea Change
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
The Church - Heyday
The Clarks - Let It Go
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
Gorillaz - Gorillaz
Incubus - Make Yourself, Morning View
Lemon Jelly - Lemonjelly.KY
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
The National - High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me
New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too
Pulp - We Love Life
Radiohead - The Bends, OK Computer, In Rainbows
Smashing Pumpkins - MACHINA/The Machines of God
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
The Streets - Original Pirate Material
Sublime - 40 Oz. to Freedom
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
Tycho - Awake
The Who - Who's Next
Wilco - Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Wild Nothing - Gemini
Wiz Khalifa - Show and Prove

7/8

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 15, 2016, 12:20:34 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on September 11, 2016, 03:47:21 PM
Sorry to raise an old thread, but I was pleasantly surprised by all the responses about Genesis, which is one of my favourite bands! I'm also hoping some newer members will chime in here.
I periodically add entire album collections from my CDs to my Ipod for the car, and most recently I added my Genesis collection.  For the last week or two, my commute has been running through every album - studio and live - from "From Genesis to Revelation" to the 2007 live album.  Tomorrow morning I'll be finishing off Duke and then Abacab is taking me home.  I'm burning through as many Tony Banks keyboard solos as one can stand right now, but I suppose it's penance for missing the 2007 tour when I had the chance (at least I got to see them in '92).

Wow, that's a lot of Genesis! I'm still missing some of their albums, but they're the band I probably own the most CD's of.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 15, 2016, 12:20:34 AM
BTW, you're not 41 instead of 21 with that album list?  A good portion of that sounds like my collection.

I grew up listening to my parents' CD's and radio stations, and I guess it's rubbed off on me. Though my two brothers tend to listen to more current music than I do.

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

jakeroot

Avalon by Roxy Music is one of the very few albums I can listen to start-to-finish. I grew up in the iTunes era, so I have a difficult time not flying around a music library at random.

Others that I mostly enjoy...

Exile on Mainstream by Matchbox Twenty.

Under the Table and Dreaming by Dave Matthews

Kick by INXS

The Best of Talking Heads

Greatest Hits (Love, Lies, and Other Strange Things) by Thompson Twins.

Urban Hymns by the Verve

Anthology: Through the Years by Tom Petty/Heartbreakers

Contraband: The Best of Men at Work

20,000 Watt R.S.L. by Midnight Oil

bulldog1979

Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues. It's really designed to be played in order and tell a story.

ftballfan

Most of Queen's albums, especially Queen II and A Night at the Opera

epzik8

Prince and the Revolution, Purple Rain. Legendary. "Let's Go Crazy" is energetic. "Take Me With U" is sort of a forerunner to "Raspberry Beret". "Darling Nikki" is an infamous one. "When Doves Cry" is one of Prince's signature tunes. "I Would Die 4 U" is my favorite on the record. And then there's the title track.

Nine Inch Nails, Pretty Hate Machine. The debut from Trent Reznor's collective. "Head Like a Hole" is pretty dark. So is "Terrible Lie". The mood lightens up with "Down In It". The bass on "Sanctified" is mean and funky. "Something I Can Never Have" is mostly just piano and Trent's vocals. "Kinda I Want To" and "That's What I Get" are my other favorite cuts on that one.

Radiohead, OK Computer. The third LP from the seminal Oxfordshire group. "Airbag" is a fiery opener. "Paranoid Android" is my favorite Radiohead song. "Exit Music (For a Film)" was in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet. "Karma Police" is either famous or infamous. "Fitter Happier" needs no explanation. "No Surprises" is deceptively soft. "The Tourist" is an appropriate closer.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

sparker

Not in any particular order...............
Eagles: Desperado, Hotel California
Steely Dan: Gaucho (IMO, arguably the best-recorded pop album ever)
Jefferson Airplane: Crown of Creation, Volunteers
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here
Supertramp: Crime of the Century
Beatles:  Abbey Road, Let It Be

There's probably more, but these are the ones that come to mind as being full of good songs without a lot of secondary "filler". 

kphoger

I prefer to listen to any album from start to finish.  Whenever I put an album on while doing a chore, I'm kind of disappointed when I finish before the album does.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.