News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Lane question

Started by CapeCodder, November 10, 2016, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jwolfer on November 13, 2016, 11:49:05 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on November 13, 2016, 08:28:55 PM

Also, in Florida, I-95 is 6 lanes for almost all of its 382 miles through the state, with the last bit near Daytona, I believe, already started.
And then add 112 miles in Georgia.. 494 miles of 6 lanes+

The only longer four lane sections of I-95 are across most of the Carolinas (excluding Florence, S.C.); in eastern Connecticut; southwest Rhode Island and in Maine north of Portland.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

lordsutch

Quote from: jwolfer on November 13, 2016, 09:17:12 AM
Sort of like 4 lane section of I-75 through Macon, GA. 475 maintains 6 lanes

I-475 is only two lanes in each direction (four total) at its north end between the US 41 interchange and I-75.

JMoses24

I-75 is also 6 lanes or more from around mile marker 74 in Ohio (21 miles north of Dayton, OH) until mile marker 69 in Kentucky (or about 30 miles south of Lexington, KY)...a distance of roughly 196 miles! It then becomes 2 lanes for about 14 miles, picking the six lane configuration back up again at mile marker 55, 6 miles north of exit 49, which is the KY 909 exit near Livingston, then going back to 2 lanes just south of exit 49.

But wait...I-75 is six laned AGAIN, 3/4 of a mile north of the London/Somerset/KY 80 interchange at Exit 41, then remaining 3 lanes southbound for another 7 miles to mile marker 34, at which point I-75 becomes 2 lanes each way for the remainder of its run in the state. That means that I-75 is only 2 lanes for about 55 miles in Kentucky.

Meanwhile, I-71 gets more time as a 4 lane in Kentucky. Once it splits from I-75, except for a couple miles near Sparta, it's 4 lanes the entire way from I-75 to the south terminus in Louisville. So, if we take out 2 miles for Sparta, that is 75 miles of 2 lane.

From the north coming south, meanwhile, I-71 is six lanes or more starting 28 miles northeast of downtown Cincinnati.

I-74 is the only 2DI route into Cincinnati from the west. Maddeningly enough, it is 2 lanes almost the entire way from the Indiana state line, only becoming 6 lanes in 2 locations:

1) Its concurrency with I-275, about 4 miles and
2) the final half mile of the interstate, splitting into ramps to north and south 75.

tdindy88

Around Indianapolis:

I-70 goes to six lanes 15 miles west of the city at Exit 66 in Plainfield. To the east, it becomes six lanes at Exit 96, 15 miles to the east.

I-65 very soon will begin its six-lane segment to the south at Exit 90 in Franklin, 20 miles south of downtown. However, it becomes six lanes only ten miles north of downtown at Exit 123. There is a six-lane segment from Exits 130 to 141 further north, but not connected to the other six-lane section of I-65

I-69 is four lanes wide from Exit 200 to 205 and will (after construction) be six lanes from there to Exit 218.

US 31 becomes a six-lane freeway around Exit 132 (SR 32) and remains that way south to the interchange with I-465 at Exit 123.

jwolfer

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 14, 2016, 02:19:51 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on November 13, 2016, 11:49:05 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on November 13, 2016, 08:28:55 PM

Also, in Florida, I-95 is 6 lanes for almost all of its 382 miles through the state, with the last bit near Daytona, I believe, already started.
And then add 112 miles in Georgia.. 494 miles of 6 lanes+

The only longer four lane sections of I-95 are across most of the Carolinas (excluding Florence, S.C.); in eastern Connecticut; southwest Rhode Island and in Maine north of Portland.
Last time i drove to atlanta 475 was under construction i thought the whole thing eas gonna be 6 lanes... Wrong assumption i guess
Quote from: lordsutch on November 14, 2016, 03:19:34 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on November 13, 2016, 09:17:12 AM
Sort of like 4 lane section of I-75 through Macon, GA. 475 maintains 6 lanes

I-475 is only two lanes in each direction (four total) at its north end between the US 41 interchange and I-75.

LGMS428

dfwmapper

Once the ongoing construction projects are completed, I-35 will have a minimum of 6 lanes starting at the I-35E/I-35W split in Hillsboro, TX, approximately 215 miles north of downtown San Antonio.

Buffaboy

I-90 goes to 6 lanes a mile outside of the Buffalo area toll barriers. It should be at least 5 miles outside and a new exit needs to be added in the Clarence area. As a contrast, the Northway is a 6 lane stretch if I-87 north of Albany to Glen Falls that goes to the boonies.

I-90 also goes to 8 through lanes from NY-400 to I-190 in West Seneca. Traffic moves very efficiently in this stretch and I think this is how wide I-90 and I-290 should be within the toll barriers.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

ON 401 in Ontario is a pretty long stretch that hasn't been mentioned. 287 km (178 miles) of 6+ lanes. ON 402 west of London to CR 18 in Cobourg. A decent amount of that is 10+ lanes and a good amount of what is 6 lanes should be at least 8.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Revive 755

Quote from: CapeCodder on November 10, 2016, 07:43:30 PM
How far out from any city does its primary interstate gain lanes? Sorry if its worded weird, for example: I-70 in the St. Louis area gains two extra lanes in Wentzville on its way into STL. 44 gains lanes in Pacific, or have they moved that further west? IIRC 55 gained extra lanes near Barnhart.

On I-55 it's closer to Pevely now:  Google Aerial.  Before MoDOT ran into funding problems the plan was to have the extra lanes start at Herculaneum, although it could use to be six lanes down to US 67.

I-44 currently has the six lanes start at the western MO 100 interchange:  Google Aerial.  IIRC the plan many years ago was to eventually widen to six lanes out to the US 50 interchange, although I-44 could use to be six lanes across most of Missouri.

For I-64 on the Illinois side eastbound goes back to two lanes at the O'Fallon Exit, while WB widens out at the Green Mount Road interchange.

The 6+ lane section of I-90 west of Chicagoland starts at the Wisconsin border for the moment.

Side discussion:  Is it just me, or does Illinois have an annoying habit of ending a main lane too close to interchanges.  Examples to consider:

* I-64 EB in O'Fallon:  The right hand lane ends just after the entrance ramp from Old US 50
* I-55 NB/I-70 EB in Collinsville:  Third lanes exits to IL 157, right where a decent amount of traffic from I-255 is usually merging in
* IIRC  I-64 EB also used to end a lane between I-255 and IL 157
* I-55 SB south of Springfield:  Third lane ends close to the entrance ramp from IL 104
* I-55 NB in the Bloomington-Normal area:  Left lane ends just past the northern interchange with Veterans Parkway.

michravera

Quote from: CapeCodder on November 10, 2016, 07:43:30 PM
How far out from any city does its primary interstate gain lanes? Sorry if its worded weird, for example: I-70 in the St. Louis area gains two extra lanes in Wentzville on its way into STL. 44 gains lanes in Pacific, or have they moved that further west? IIRC 55 gained extra lanes near Barnhart.

I-80 gets a third (and quickly a forth) lane at ForestHill in Placer country and keeps it (except for the Bright Bend Bridge which is being restriped) all of the way to 9th Street in San Francisco. That's a distance of just over 100 miles (about 165 km actually). Now, that's only 30 or so miles from Sacramento and only 15 or so from Roseville.

I-5 gets a third lane (and quickly a fourth) that it keeps all of the way to the Mexican fontier on the Valley side of the Transverse Mountains, for distance of approximately 200 miles. If you were on SB CASR-99, you might have 3+ lanes all of the way from CASR-46 or even before all of the way to Mexico.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.