News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US or Interstate highways that leave a state and then come back

Started by ranger5830, January 29, 2014, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 30, 2014, 04:30:05 PM
A pedestrian or cyclist using the new bridge's walkway might notice it. The state/territory lines are marked in the concrete on the walkway, though you have to bend over a bit to read it (at least, I did). Unfortunately I cannot find any of the pictures I took of it when I took a bike ride over the bridge. The whole folder seems to have disappeared and I have no idea why, since I seldom delete any folders from the pictures directory.

In the bad old days of the old Woodrow Wilson Bridge (the 1961 span, now demolished), there were signs that marked the D.C./Md. and D.C./Va. borders, since D.C. (at the time) insisted that its municipal police (the Metropolitan Police Department) had to investigate all crashes (at least those with injury) that happened on "its" section of the span.  Of course, that meant that incidents and crashes would take added hours to resolve, since the closest streets that the MPD's 7th District might possibly be patrolling are 3 or more miles away - even worse if it was the Outer Loop, since the responding officers had to go across the bridge to Alexandria, turn around at U.S. 1 (probably getting lost in the process) and come back to the incident.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: Kacie Jane on February 02, 2014, 07:18:33 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2014, 09:59:38 AMBottom line, I was conversing with the people here and was simply responding.

Not sure how politics got involved here.  But if you can't be bothered to read the other posts in the thread, then you've forgotten that half of conversing is listening to the other people.
Hear, hear.

FWIW, it's MUCH more helpful to contact me directly with information, rather than holding onto it for years and then posting it midway through a rant. My page DOES say Lake St. was the last, but I'll remove US 202 from being mentioned. ;) Note that the original page was written before we had Historic Aerials, so we were all going on memory and maps back then.

Finally - I have many conservative friends. I will not hide a liberal bias as far as SOCIAL issues go. I am not blindly liberal on other issues. I respect people who think for themselves, and I do not respect people who repeat their party's mantra, regardless of which party that is.

bugo

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 03, 2014, 12:09:44 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 30, 2014, 04:30:05 PM
A pedestrian or cyclist using the new bridge's walkway might notice it. The state/territory lines are marked in the concrete on the walkway, though you have to bend over a bit to read it (at least, I did). Unfortunately I cannot find any of the pictures I took of it when I took a bike ride over the bridge. The whole folder seems to have disappeared and I have no idea why, since I seldom delete any folders from the pictures directory.

In the bad old days of the old Woodrow Wilson Bridge (the 1961 span, now demolished), there were signs that marked the D.C./Md. and D.C./Va. borders, since D.C. (at the time) insisted that its municipal police (the Metropolitan Police Department) had to investigate all crashes (at least those with injury) that happened on "its" section of the span.  Of course, that meant that incidents and crashes would take added hours to resolve, since the closest streets that the MPD's 7th District might possibly be patrolling are 3 or more miles away - even worse if it was the Outer Loop, since the responding officers had to go across the bridge to Alexandria, turn around at U.S. 1 (probably getting lost in the process) and come back to the incident.

How long ago was this and what size signs were they? I don't ever recall seeing any DC signs on the old Wilson Bridge.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.