News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Montgomery, AL to Marianna, FL

Started by edwaleni, January 06, 2016, 09:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Having traveled in and out of Florida going northwest, I was curious if anyone thinks that a more limited access route from Marianna FL, around Dothan, AL on up to Montgomery has any potential?

With the new I-22 opening between Memphis and Birmingham, it appears to be a good opportunity for a comprehensive Atlanta bypass. At the moment, much traffic has to traverse I-75 and I-20, this proposed route appears to offer congestion avoidance and help Dothan deal with their US-231/US-431 "ring" problems.

Does anyone know if ALDOT has any plans in this space once I-22 is done? Seems pretty straightforward. Traffic on US-231 between Dothan and Troy was significant. While it is 4 lane, it is not limited access and is rife with stop lights, grade crossings and periodic driveways.

The traffic lights alone in Dothan are almost a killer.

jwolfer

Quote from: edwaleni on January 06, 2016, 09:33:31 PM
Having traveled in and out of Florida going northwest, I was curious if anyone thinks that a more limited access route from Marianna FL, around Dothan, AL on up to Montgomery has any potential?

With the new I-22 opening between Memphis and Birmingham, it appears to be a good opportunity for a comprehensive Atlanta bypass. At the moment, much traffic has to traverse I-75 and I-20, this proposed route appears to offer congestion avoidance and help Dothan deal with their US-231/US-431 "ring" problems.

Does anyone know if ALDOT has any plans in this space once I-22 is done? Seems pretty straightforward. Traffic on US-231 between Dothan and Troy was significant. While it is 4 lane, it is not limited access and is rife with stop lights, grade crossings and periodic driveways.

The traffic lights alone in Dothan are almost a killer.
I know civic groups in Dothan have lobbied for an interstate.

MikeTheActuary

The idea of an I-x10 spur at least to Dothan has been around for a while.

Most recent news article I can quickly find: http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/i--connector-back-on-the-table/article_0d4427a8-aa36-11e3-8b94-001a4bcf6878.html

codyg1985

I think ALDOT was thinking of doing a study for a toll road between Dothan and Montgomery, but I have not heard anything about this for a while.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Alex

The idea for an I-10 spur to Dothan goes back many years. Here is a 2006 article on the possibility: http://www.wtvy.com/news/headlines/2221392.html

You can also throw it in with similarly failed concepts to extend Interstate 185 south to Albany and Thomasville or Tallahassee. This region wants a freeway, but money is not available and the right political drive isn't strong enough.

Florida is more more interested in better connecting Panama City to Interstate 10, and they have done that with four-laning projects along SR 77 and SR 79. Here's the Northwest Florida Transportation Corridor Authority master plan, which includes more work on the FL 79/AL 167 corridor:

More on the FL 79/AL 167 corridor:
http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/85292317.html
http://www.southeastsun.com/news/article_1a009a4a-2172-11e4-97c8-0017a43b2370.html

Henry

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 07, 2016, 07:53:43 AM
The idea of an I-x10 spur at least to Dothan has been around for a while.

Most recent news article I can quickly find: http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/i--connector-back-on-the-table/article_0d4427a8-aa36-11e3-8b94-001a4bcf6878.html
Quote from: Alex on January 07, 2016, 10:33:31 AM
You can also throw it in with similarly failed concepts to extend Interstate 185 south to Albany and Thomasville or Tallahassee. This region wants a freeway, but money is not available and the right political drive isn't strong enough.
Not to mention a southern I-67 that would use the US 231 corridor.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

codyg1985

I have always thought that an interstate connecting Montgomery to I-10 would help relieve traffic off of I-75 in Georgia, However, it would also put additional pressure on I-65 north of Montgomery, which already sees a lot of traffic during the summer.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 07, 2016, 10:47:21 AM
I have always thought that an interstate connecting Montgomery to I-10 would help relieve traffic off of I-75 in Georgia, However, it would also put additional pressure on I-65 north of Montgomery, which already sees a lot of traffic during the summer.
I remember back in 2011 riding through Birmingham on I-65 while there was road work. It was a complete nightmare.
We ended up using US 31 to avoid all of the traffic on the interstate. It helped that we had already gone through a massive spot of congestion on I-65 somewhere north of Montgomery due to a truck towing a mobile home going into the median for some reason or another.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

ttownfeen

Well, since we're talking functional highways in this thread, here's my idea:

Upgrade US 231 between Montgomery and Mariana and call it I-65. Rename the existing 65 from Montgomery to Mobile as a continuation of I-85 (and thus I-165 in Mobile becomes I-185).

Upgrade 231 between Mariana and Panama City and call I-165.

These all might just have to be toll facilities.

codyg1985

Quote from: ttownfeen on January 07, 2016, 02:18:03 PM
Well, since we're talking functional highways in this thread, here's my idea:

Upgrade US 231 between Montgomery and Mariana and call it I-65. Rename the existing 65 from Montgomery to Mobile as a continuation of I-85 (and thus I-165 in Mobile becomes I-185).

Upgrade 231 between Mariana and Panama City and call I-165.

These all might just have to be toll facilities.

The idea of building a new I-65 between Montgomery and I-10 and replacing I-65 with I-85 has been talked about on here somewhere (can't remember where).
Cody Goodman

edwaleni

Excellent feedback from all, thank you.

I have started recommending this route for people coming to Florida from the midwest. (Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota) I tell them that Dothan is a hold up, but the rest should flow really well.

The feedback from all of them was that this was an excellent route for many reasons.  Avoiding Atlanta was #1 on everyone's list. 

I also use this route to reach SW Missouri via I-22 in Birmingham. and then use the future I-555 (US 63) to Jonesboro, AR from Memphis.

If in the future I wouldn't be surprised if this is linked to a new route to Panama Beach.

froggie

Anyone else spot the error in the map Alex posted?

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on January 11, 2016, 09:35:34 AM

I see 2 unrelated errors on this map...

Mike

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 11, 2016, 12:17:19 PM

I see 2 unrelated errors on this map...

Mike
Not sure if it's the ones y'all've spotted, but the map of Port St. Joe, FL's rail lines (at least that's what it appears to be) isn't accurate.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Eth

US 59 isn't in Florida. I'm guessing that should be SR 59 instead.

froggie

That's another error, but not the first error I was commenting about...

route29

Quote from: froggie on January 11, 2016, 08:40:44 PM
That's another error, but not the first error I was commenting about...
US 319 between Port St Joe and Apalachicola?

mariethefoxy

chances are if Florida builds it, it will be a tollway, they seem to never build any state route freeways anymore unless its a toll road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.