News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Words that made you laugh the first time you heard them

Started by bandit957, March 03, 2022, 10:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I like the words 'ruin', 'tirade', and 'mayhem'. But can you think of any words that made you roar with laughter the first time you heard them?

One example is the word 'fink'. Back when I was about 7, there was an episode of 'CHiPs' where someone painted 'fink' on somebody's house, and I rolled on the floor in laughter!

Another example is 'lollygag'. The first time I heard this was in 5th grade when a teacher accused the class of "lollygagging." I still think it's a funny word.

I hope I can think of some other examples later.

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

snowc

Quote from: bandit957 on March 03, 2022, 10:47:19 AM
I like the words 'ruin', 'tirade', and 'mayhem'. But can you think of any words that made you roar with laughter the first time you heard them?

One example is the word 'fink'. Back when I was about 7, there was an episode of 'CHiPs' where someone painted 'fink' on somebody's house, and I rolled on the floor in laughter!

Another example is 'lollygag'. The first time I heard this was in 5th grade when a teacher accused the class of "lollygagging." I still think it's a funny word.

I hope I can think of some other examples later.
The message icon explains it all.  :-D

SectorZ

jlam

Big John

webny99

I didn't find it particularly knee- er... elbow-slappingly hilarious myself, but "weenus" (see here) is the word that comes to mind as having frequently made the rounds to much hilarity in my middle and high school days.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bm7

"Telephony", before I knew how it was pronounced.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 03, 2022, 12:13:56 PM
dongle

+1

Quote from: The Simpsons, Season 12, Episode 13 "Day of the Jackanapes – Krusty the Clown
Kent, the young people today, they think comedy is dirty words.  It's not.  It's words that sound dirty.  Like 'mukluk'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Guacamole
Bituminous
Corpuscle

Seekonk
Conshohocken
Megargle

Recently distorted:
Branch (thanks to my daughter over-using that word for about 3 months)
Never (my son over-using that in place of "no")

zachary_amaryllis

"fard". it's won me a few challenges playing scrabble.

i think "Eustachian" would be a fun word to hear said by someone that's super drunk.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

bandit957

Another thing that was funny was the first time I heard of someone "making a spectacle of themselves." It was the day after the class play in 5th grade. The teacher told a student, "You made a real spectacle of yourself last night." That was because he kept grabbing armloads of cookies and dropping them everywhere.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

I thought "oh, for crying out loud" was pants-wettingly hilarious the first time I heard it.

gonealookin

I loved how "flatulence" is a polite-sounding word for...that.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

M3100

CNGL-Leudimin

Kyrgyzstanium. A fake element spotted in a certain quiz site.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MATraveler128

Drumthwacket, the New Jersey governor's mansion.
Formerly BlueOutback7

Lowest untraveled number: 96

zachary_amaryllis

Someone at work tonight referred to a bad driver on the road as a 'c--k honker'.

i'm picturing one of those old bicycle horns.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Henry

"Mike Shashefski" (the retiring Duke basketball coach aka Coach K)

Alternately, it could also be "Shashefsky".
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on March 07, 2022, 12:02:25 PM
"Mike Shashefski" (the retiring Duke basketball coach aka Coach K)

Alternately, it could also be "Shashefsky".

:-D

A name so Polish, it even makes a guy from Chicago airball.  :sombrero:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.