News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rarity of State-Named Shields in New England

Started by deathtopumpkins, June 12, 2013, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Southbound 91 still has a fair number of state-name shields at and south of White River Jct.  At least 3 that I can remember offhand, plus at least 1 northbound near Ascutney.  And there's at least one off-route I-89 sign remaining in St. Albans.  Derby Line still has 2, one on the on-ramp to SB 91 from ALT US 5.

Speaking of the "square shields" (which are more rectangular for the 3-digit routes), there are two square VT 139 shields in Richboro.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on June 14, 2013, 05:26:14 AM

Speaking of the "square shields" (which are more rectangular for the 3-digit routes), there are two square VT 139 shields in Richboro.

I believe the letterbox shields are the same background pattern for any number of digits.  they certainly do accommodate three digits nicely.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

A few things to report on this thread after my surprise road trip to Quebec via Vermont yesterday.

First, I drove all the way from White River Junction to Burlington to the Canadian border on surface roads paralleling I-89 (and a few parts of 89) and still did not  see a single state-named shield. On the upside, I only saw a few Clearview mileage signs though.

Secondly, Vermont must have at one point used MA/ME style squares, because I found a handful hanging around near Burlington, including a pair on 127 at the southern end of the Winooski Valley Pkwy:

From Wikimedia.

The shield on the opposite side of the intersection is the same, though it looked significantly older.

Lastly, it's not an interstate shield, but I found this beauty on US 2 in Waterbury:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

QuoteSecondly, Vermont must have at one point used MA/ME style squares, because I found a handful hanging around near Burlington, including a pair on 127 at the southern end of the Winooski Valley Pkwy:

Referenced in the previous two comments by myself and Jake (albeit a different location than Burlington).

That Waterbury signpost has been fairly well documented by some of the AARoads crew.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: froggie on June 30, 2013, 03:24:43 PM
QuoteSecondly, Vermont must have at one point used MA/ME style squares, because I found a handful hanging around near Burlington, including a pair on 127 at the southern end of the Winooski Valley Pkwy:

Referenced in the previous two comments by myself and Jake (albeit a different location than Burlington).

Yes, I am very well aware of the prior discussion. That's why I posted this, as another example. No one mentioned these specific ones before.

QuoteThat Waterbury signpost has been fairly well documented by some of the AARoads crew.

I figured it would have been, but I still thought it was cool to find.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Alex

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 30, 2013, 03:05:47 PM

Secondly, Vermont must have at one point used MA/ME style squares, because I found a handful hanging around near Burlington, including a pair on 127 at the southern end of the Winooski Valley Pkwy:

Speaking of squares for Vermont 127, reading this reminded me of a classic one that was posted in Burlington:

This was taken from a video shot on July 25, 1995 (I made the vidcap just now).

shadyjay

From Wikimedia.

The shield on the opposite side of the intersection is the same, though it looked significantly older.

There's also, IIRC, a US 127 shield up there somewhere and some non-standard circles as well.  Pretty sure VT 127 is not a state-maintained road, hence why it gets a hodgepodge of route shields. 

In fact, perhaps the ONLY reason that US 2/VT 100 assembly has been around this long is because of that section of those routes being town-maintained.  Same goes for the old shields EB at the railroad overpass just to the west of that location.  On the approaches to Waterbury (and into other main towns), you'll see "STATE HIGHWAY ENDS" signs.  This is where state maintenance ends and town maintenance begins. 

vdeane

Quote from: shadyjay on June 30, 2013, 04:48:27 PM

There's also, IIRC, a US 127 shield up there somewhere and some non-standard circles as well.  Pretty sure VT 127 is not a state-maintained road, hence why it gets a hodgepodge of route shields. 
I know of one in the exact same area.  According to street view, it's the same assembly, actually.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: shadyjay on June 30, 2013, 04:48:27 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Vermont_State_Route_127_heading_northward_near_the_Ethan_Allen_Homestead.jpg
From Wikimedia.

In fact, perhaps the ONLY reason that US 2/VT 100 assembly has been around this long is because of that section of those routes being town-maintained.  Same goes for the old shields EB at the railroad overpass just to the west of that location.  On the approaches to Waterbury (and into other main towns), you'll see "STATE HIGHWAY ENDS" signs.  This is where state maintenance ends and town maintenance begins.

Oh I'm sure that's why. VT 127 is maintained by Burlington and Colchester, and many towns maintain their segments of major roads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.