News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Jersey Jughandles

Started by signalman, May 24, 2009, 11:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Quote from: shadyjay on April 03, 2011, 06:16:09 PM
There are a few others in CT - these come off the top of my head:
1.   CT 4 (Farmington Ave) in Farmington, just west of I-84 Exit 39
2.   CT 71 at I-84 EB ramp at Exit 40
3.   Berlin Turnpike at Route 9 SB ramp at Exit 21:

There's also a jughandle at SSR 401 and SSR 403 at Bradley International Airport.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Compulov

Quote from: SignBridge on December 06, 2010, 09:55:21 PM
Penna. also has jughandles on US 13 in the Levittown/Bristol area of Bucks County.

I grew up in Jersey and the ones on 13 rubbed me the wrong way when I first moved to Bristol. I think it's the large ALL TURNS signs. It's not correct at some intersections where you can actually make a right hand turn legally. They really should read as NJ does: "U AND LEFT TURNS" since it's more accurate.

NJ jughandles wouldn't be so bad if they were large enough to handle the queued traffic. What sucks is when they're woefully small and traffic backups up on the mainline road you're trying to cross. Some areas also have this bad habit of inconsistent intersections. Hooper Avenue in Toms River is like this. Some intersections are left turns, some are jug handles and if you don't know which your turn will be, you're kinda screwed.
Hooper Ave also has another fun distinction, the at-grade cloverleaf at Hooper and Bay: http://goo.gl/maps/qqt7 . That's what happens when you go ga-ga for jughandles.
And maybe it's just because I grew up in NJ, but I don't find jug handles nearly as confusing as the Michigan left. I was up near Ann Arbor once and I came to one. I saw the sign, and couldn't make heads or tails of what it was telling me to do. I ended up going straight and turning into a parking lot to turn around. I didn't find out what it was all about until later, after I'd left the state.

roadman65

After living in Florida for nearly twenty years and traveling Orange Blossom Trail for all of my time, I can see how the jughandles help!  Too many slowpokes in the left lane and using the suicide lane as a merge area causes chaos on many highways here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I do see one jughandle in New Jersey that is not needed.  The NJ 94 jughandle in Lafayette, NJ from SB NJ 15 & NB NJ 94 is on a two lane road and has no median.  The setup is useless for this type of road.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Tarkus

Here's a sort-of "half jughandle" setup in Beaverton, Oregon.  Traffic on eastbound OR-8 (Canyon Road) must exit off to access SW Cedar Hills Blvd, and the jughandle also connects into Broadway.  There's no jughandle on the other side, and westbound traffic on OR-8 is prohibited from turning left at the intersection.

njroadhorse

Quote from: NE2 on April 15, 2011, 01:22:38 AM
Why is it useless?
Because in this particular instance, the jughandle is tiny, and neither NJ 15 or NJ 94 have a median, so left turns could be doable there.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

NE2

Yes, they could have used a left turn lane. They decided to go with an alternate treatment. That doesn't make it useless.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

Quote from: connroadgeek on April 03, 2011, 07:25:28 PM
US 1 S/B in Greenwich CT uses a jug handle at Indian Field Rd.

Eh, sort of. Old Post Rd No 6 is a street in it's own right (and is two-way), but does also function as a jughandle since left turns off of US 1 onto Indian Field Rd are not otherwise permitted.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

I know of exactly one Chicagoland jughandle.  It's along York Road in oak Brook, between I-88 and the ramp to I-294 south for a local street.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.855454,-87.929828&spn=0.002741,0.006866&t=h&z=18
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2011, 11:27:06 AM
I know of exactly one Chicagoland jughandle.  It's along York Road in oak Brook, between I-88 and the ramp to I-294 south for a local street.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.855454,-87.929828&spn=0.002741,0.006866&t=h&z=18
Have the ones on IL 43 at 63rd and 65th been removed?

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on April 16, 2011, 02:42:34 PM

OK, I know of three now.  Don't usually use that stretch of Harlem Avenue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

pianocello

There's one in my area (US-61 and 59th St in Davenport, IA) that's extremely helpful, particularly going southbound. Along both sides of US-61 are hotels, restaurants, etc. and a median blocks all left turns. There used to be two, but now left turns are permitted. I think the exit ramp still exists to permit U-turns, though.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on April 15, 2011, 01:11:54 PM
Yes, they could have used a left turn lane. They decided to go with an alternate treatment. That doesn't make it useless.

I agree considering that left turns are allowed elswhere along NJ 15 and NJ 94!  It wastes time waiting for another signal!  Jughandles on two lane roads make no sense!

Sheryl Crowe

tdindy88

Last I checked in the area, they're still there.

roadman65

Laurence Harbor, NJ had a jughandle NB on NJ 35, but was converted into a bus stop.  Anyone using it other than a bus, will get ticketed.  You  now have to go through a shopping center and cut through its parking area to make a left onto Laurence Parkway. The same from Laurence Parkway to NB NJ 35 you cannot make a left, even though there is a signal stopping you from crossing the other side of the road.   You must go into the plaza across the street and do the same.Plus there is a delay on NJ 35 at the second signals to clear a way for traffic that does not even go there.  This is the most dumbest set up around! 

Sheryl Crowe

InterstateNG

Quote from: roadman65 on June 02, 2011, 07:53:53 PM
Laurence Harbor, NJ had a jughandle NB on NJ 35, but was converted into a bus stop.  Anyone using it other than a bus, will get ticketed.  You  now have to go through a shopping center and cut through its parking area to make a left onto Laurence Parkway.

It's pretty obvious you turn right to go left...

QuoteThe same from Laurence Parkway to NB NJ 35 you cannot make a left, even though there is a signal stopping you from crossing the other side of the road.   You must go into the plaza across the street and do the same.Plus there is a delay on NJ 35 at the second signals to clear a way for traffic that does not even go there.  This is the most dumbest set up around! 

And you do a U-turn in this instance to complete the movement.

Similar to a Michigan Left.  Exclamation point.
I demand an apology.

NE2

Laurence Harbor, NJ had a jughandle NB on NJ 35, but was converted into a bus stop.
I doubt this. It's more likely that the jughandle was where the parking lot is now, to the right of the bus stop.

Anyone using it other than a bus, will get ticketed.  You  now have to go through a shopping center and cut through its parking area to make a left onto Laurence Parkway.
Huh? You turn right on Laurence Parkway and left on Shoreland Circle.

The same from Laurence Parkway to NB NJ 35 you cannot make a left, even though there is a signal stopping you from crossing the other side of the road.   You must go into the plaza across the street and do the same.Plus there is a delay on NJ 35 at the second signals to clear a way for traffic that does not even go there.  This is the most dumbest set up around! 
Your posts are the most dumbest!!!

NO NAME CALLING

:banghead:

newyorker478

Quote from: nyratk1 on December 08, 2010, 11:14:59 AM
Long Island has a jughandle on NY 347 at NY 111. It's not the greatest, although from what family members told me, it was worse as a regular intersection.

Yeah odd intersection. All movements between 347 and 111 are dealt through the jughandles and from 347 is signed as "Exit N-S" whatever that means. Actually think it is semi-efficient, that setup would do wonders at 347/Nicolls Road.

newyorker478

Central Park Avenue [NY 100] has several jughandles throughout Yonkers. Most of the locals don't know how to use them, though, so it's pretty ineffective.

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on June 02, 2011, 08:38:53 PM
Laurence Harbor, NJ had a jughandle NB on NJ 35, but was converted into a bus stop.
I doubt this. It's more likely that the jughandle was where the parking lot is now, to the right of the bus stop.

Anyone using it other than a bus, will get ticketed.  You  now have to go through a shopping center and cut through its parking area to make a left onto Laurence Parkway.
Huh? You turn right on Laurence Parkway and left on Shoreland Circle.

The same from Laurence Parkway to NB NJ 35 you cannot make a left, even though there is a signal stopping you from crossing the other side of the road.   You must go into the plaza across the street and do the same.Plus there is a delay on NJ 35 at the second signals to clear a way for traffic that does not even go there.  This is the most dumbest set up around! 
Your posts are the most dumbest!!!

Actually it has merit.  The area in between signals is cleared out by a delayed red.  If there is no turning traffic into that area, why bother with it, unless it is for the firehouse nearby, but now they have the technoligy to install a transponder to activate the signal to turn green in the direction of the emergency vehicle.  Deerfield Boulevard at John Young does this where the light turns green EB on Deerfield and red in all other three movements when Station 58 lets out and the vehicle has to turn to John Young. 

No matter what you say about the east side of Route 35, its still a parking lot.  I have no problem using them, and at times I have used them to avoid un-necessary turns here in Florida, and on OBT. In Fords, NJ I used the old Druckers Parking Lot to get into the traffic cause the Ford Avenue jughandle was too small.  Most everbody, who wanted to make the light there from SB US 1 to Ford Avenue ,did that rather than the jughande itself.

Sheryl Crowe

InterstateNG

No matter what you say about the east side of Route 35, its still a parking lot.

Every map service out there disagrees.
I demand an apology.

ftballfan

I thought it said "Jersey Juggalo" at first.

jjakucyk

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 18, 2011, 09:09:32 PM
I know of exactly one Chicagoland jughandle.  It's along York Road in oak Brook, between I-88 and the ramp to I-294 south for a local street.

Last I checked in the area, they're still there.

Half Day Road and Skokie Highway (US-41) in Highland Park has jughandles.  The one for northbound Skokie Highway was rebuilt about 15 years ago to swing way farther east due to backups on Half Day.  You can see where it used to go based on the tree line.  They also put a signal at that intersection as well.  It struck me as a somewhat futile effort at the time, and I don't know if it can keep up with volume today.  There used to be a similar setup at Clavey Road and Skokie Highway before they grade separated it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Half+Day+Road,+Highland+Park,+IL&aq=0&sll=41.855454,-87.929828&sspn=0.002737,0.004833&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Half+Day+Rd,+Highland+Park,+Lake,+Illinois&ll=42.199124,-87.830511&spn=0.005444,0.009667&t=h&z=17

architect77

A big thoroughfare in East Brunswick, NJ has these (Exit 9 off NJ Turnpike), and that road moves a monstrous amount of traffic very effectively. If there were protected left turn arrows at the intersections, there would be constant gridlock.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.