News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on February 18, 2016, 10:27:39 AM
Quote from: cl94 on February 17, 2016, 06:35:14 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 17, 2016, 06:29:27 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 16, 2016, 07:38:40 PM
Quote from: dgolub on February 16, 2016, 07:35:38 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 16, 2016, 02:47:00 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on February 16, 2016, 02:19:58 PM
Does anybody know what this ramp is for? https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7556464,-74.1171611,152m/data=!3m1!1e3

Emergency vehicle access between the spurs.

I wonder if they'd give you a ticket if you used it.  I don't see any "Do Not Enter" sign in Street View.

That's a good question. What would they do if you entered at 15X or 16E and exited at 16W? Anyone in the region want to try it?
*grabs his 16W ticket* It says NO U-TURN for both 16E and 16W. I imagine that a newer ticket with 15X would say the same.

There we go. I've only seen a ticket for any system in person once, and that was on the Ohio Turnpike before E-ZPass.
The online toll calculator says "no U-turn" only if you enter the same entrance and exit. 15X to 16E says $0.00

There's no legal way to make this connection.  Should you use the ramp, you would be travelling on the shoulder, which is illegal.

The online calculator may not have been programmed for such a connection.  If you were to exit at 16E after entering at 15X, you would be charged the maximum toll, which in this case would be from Interchange 1.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 18, 2016, 10:54:45 AM
Does anybody know what this ramp is for? https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7556464,-74.1171611,152m/data=!3m1!1e3

I wonder if they'd give you a ticket if you used it.  I don't see any "Do Not Enter" sign in Street View.

That's a good question. What would they do if you entered at 15X or 16E and exited at 16W? Anyone in the region want to try it?
*grabs his 16W ticket* It says NO U-TURN for both 16E and 16W. I imagine that a newer ticket with 15X would say the same.

There we go. I've only seen a ticket for any system in person once, and that was on the Ohio Turnpike before E-ZPass.
The online toll calculator says "no U-turn" only if you enter the same entrance and exit. 15X to 16E says $0.00

There's no legal way to make this connection.  Should you use the ramp, you would be travelling on the shoulder, which is illegal.

The online calculator may not have been programmed for such a connection.  If you were to exit at 16E after entering at 15X, you would be charged the maximum toll, which in this case would be from Interchange 1.

Of course 15X to 16E is legal. 15X is Secaucus, 16E is the Lincoln Tunnel. One exit apart on the Eastern Spur.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on February 18, 2016, 11:37:45 AM

Of course 15X to 16E is legal. 15X is Secaucus, 16E is the Lincoln Tunnel. One exit apart on the Eastern Spur.

Whoops...Meant 16W.

Alps

It should define those connections specifically as prohibited. Interestingly, 15X to 16W is 10 miles, but 16E to 16W is 0 miles.

roadman65

One thing that I found at historic aerials was the 1970 aerial view of the current I-80/ US 46 interchange in Parsippany, NJ.  Not only is the freeway segment of I-80 not only terminating here, but the freeway stops short of the interchange using a temporary roadway that not only was not a freeway, but had an at grade facility with Edwards Road. 

It obviously seemed that NJDOT wanted the two roads to connect with each other despite the fact the freeway did not, but built a temporary fix.  However, to me it would have seemed more logical to built the interchange completely at the time.  Its one thing to build a road and it stops  suddenly where they build a temporary interchange to connect with a local road already that connects it with the parallel arterial to the freeway as that at least offers some relief on the so called old road, but this one makes no sense at all to build the road and stop it short of less than a half a mile.

Also behind the Historic Aerial writing its hard to tell if access to I-80 was from a jughandle or a ramp that went under US 46.  Today the entrance to I-80 there is a left side ramp from inside US 46 so that was relocated as well.

Oh, as Columbo used to say, one more thing, how do you get Historic Aerials to get a direct link to a specific view and year?  Every time I paste the web address it directs anyone to its main page.  The URL above does not give out any other link info and at all places just says http/historicaerials.com
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2016, 01:20:59 PM
One thing that I found at historic aerials was the 1970 aerial view of the current I-80/ US 46 interchange in Parsippany, NJ.  Not only is the freeway segment of I-80 not only terminating here, but the freeway stops short of the interchange using a temporary roadway that not only was not a freeway, but had an at grade facility with Edwards Road. 

It obviously seemed that NJDOT wanted the two roads to connect with each other despite the fact the freeway did not, but built a temporary fix.  However, to me it would have seemed more logical to built the interchange completely at the time.  Its one thing to build a road and it stops  suddenly where they build a temporary interchange to connect with a local road already that connects it with the parallel arterial to the freeway as that at least offers some relief on the so called old road, but this one makes no sense at all to build the road and stop it short of less than a half a mile.

Also behind the Historic Aerial writing its hard to tell if access to I-80 was from a jughandle or a ramp that went under US 46.  Today the entrance to I-80 there is a left side ramp from inside US 46 so that was relocated as well.

Oh, as Columbo used to say, one more thing, how do you get Historic Aerials to get a direct link to a specific view and year?  Every time I paste the web address it directs anyone to its main page.  The URL above does not give out any other link info and at all places just says http/historicaerials.com

If you click the Twitter bird (to post to Twitter), it will spit out a direct link. It's worked for me in the past.

jeffandnicole

If you enjoy aerial shots, here's a few pics of a shopping center near me undergoing some changes.  Ignore the first page or two; the final two pages show some aerial shots of the area, along with labeling of the nearby important roads.  Only minor issue was they mis-labeled I-76 with the route's more commonly-known nickname, Route 42. http://brahinproperties.com/properties/pdfs/Brooklawn.pdf

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2016, 02:45:27 PM
If you enjoy aerial shots, here's a few pics of a shopping center near me undergoing some changes.  Ignore the first page or two; the final two pages show some aerial shots of the area, along with labeling of the nearby important roads.  Only minor issue was they mis-labeled I-76 with the route's more commonly-known nickname, Route 42. http://brahinproperties.com/properties/pdfs/Brooklawn.pdf

Another failure is on the map they provided they upgraded 30 and 130 to Interstates

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on February 26, 2016, 02:50:33 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2016, 02:45:27 PM

Another failure is on the map they provided they upgraded 30 and 130 to Interstates

So they did!

The KFC/A&W pictured is also just a KFC now.

PHLBOS

During a recent trip to Massachusetts (from Greater Philadelphia) this past weekend, I noticed that one of the recent NJ Clearview ground-mounted BGS for Exit 56 along I-295 North was replaced with a match in kind one in Highway Gothic.  No other BGS' were replaced.  I'm assuming that this was an-accident related replacement.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 29, 2016, 12:45:26 PM
During a recent trip to Massachusetts (from Greater Philadelphia) this past weekend, I noticed that one of the recent NJ Clearview ground-mounted BGS for Exit 56 along I-295 North was replaced with a match in kind one in Highway Gothic.  No other BGS' were replaced.  I'm assuming that this was an-accident related replacement.

You know...I've been looking at that like there's something diifferent about it, but couldn't figure it out.

Nope, wasn't an accident. The previous sign had no damage. It was just a replacement of a brand new sign.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2016, 12:10:28 AM

You know...I've been looking at that like there's something diifferent about it, but couldn't figure it out.

Nope, wasn't an accident. The previous sign had no damage. It was just a replacement of a brand new sign.

i actually thought they had just replaced the lettering, since they didn't fix the lack of gutter space.

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on March 01, 2016, 09:22:17 AM

i actually thought they had just replaced the lettering, since they didn't fix the lack of gutter space.
The new BGS I saw (in Highway Gothic) did not have any spacing issues that I know of.  The lettering was about the same height as the older Highway Gothic BGS (which was why there were no spacing issues).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 01, 2016, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: odditude on March 01, 2016, 09:22:17 AM

The new BGS I saw (in Highway Gothic) did not have any spacing issues that I know of.  The lettering was about the same height as the older Highway Gothic BGS (which was why there were no spacing issues).

Here's the Clearview sign.  https://goo.gl/maps/8gibXjP4PsM2  The spacing issue relates to how close the lettering is to each other, and to the edges of the signs.  Going back to the previous sign's destination cities (when the bases were separate entitles) reveals smaller lettering but much a much wider gap between the legend and the side edge.

BTW, for those unfamiliar, 'Joint Base MDL' refers to McGuire Air Force Base, Fort Dix, and Lakehurst Naval Air Station.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2016, 09:57:40 AMHere's the Clearview sign.  https://goo.gl/maps/8gibXjP4PsM2  The spacing issue relates to how close the lettering is to each other, and to the edges of the signs.  Going back to the previous sign's destination cities (when the bases were separate entitles) reveals smaller lettering but much a much wider gap between the legend and the side edge.

BTW, for those unfamiliar, 'Joint Base MDL' refers to McGuire Air Force Base, Fort Dix, and Lakehurst Naval Air Station.
Actually, the BGS that was recently replaced is the 1/4-mile advance BGS.  The Clearview 1-mile advance BGS (shown in the above-GSV-link) was still there as of this past weekend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 01, 2016, 10:08:59 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2016, 09:57:40 AMHere's the Clearview sign.  https://goo.gl/maps/8gibXjP4PsM2  The spacing issue relates to how close the lettering is to each other, and to the edges of the signs.  Going back to the previous sign's destination cities (when the bases were separate entitles) reveals smaller lettering but much a much wider gap between the legend and the side edge.

Actually, the BGS that was recently replaced is the 1/4-mile advance BGS.  The Clearview 1-mile advance BGS (shown in the above-GSV-link) was still there as of this past weekend.

This one then: https://goo.gl/maps/D4DdenVtFyC2

Zeffy

Not sure how many central New Jerseyans we have on this forum, but since Friday, US 206 is shut (indefinitely) because of repairs to the state's oldest bridge in Princeton.
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2016/02/states_oldest_bridge_now_closed_until_further_noti.html#incart_river_index

There are posted detour signs along the roadway, and those detours are:
Southbound: Turn right onto Georgetown-Franklin Turnpike (CR 518), follow CR 518 until you reach Hopewell-Princeton Road*, and turn left onto that, then take that all the way and make a right back onto US 206
Northbound: Turn left onto Carter Road (CR 569), follow Carter Road and make a right onto Georgetown-Franklin Turnpike (CR 518) and follow CR 518 and make a left back onto US 206

*Do they mean Great Road? Because I can't remember a road named Hopewell-Princeton Road, and I have been up and down CR 518 in this area plenty of times.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

akotchi

According to Google, Hopewell-Princeton Rd. is the same as Carter Rd.  The name seems to change at the signal at Cherry Hill Rd./Pennington-Rocky Hill Rd.  Great Road meets U.S. 206 still north of the closure.

It is the route between my office in Lawrenceville and my barber in Hopewell.

So . . . the detour route is the same for both directions.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Mr. Matté

I just call it what most local roadgeeks call it-- The most pothole-ridden county road in Mercer County. Though hopefully not as much come this summer, when I called the county a few weeks ago to read off a laundry list of holes that could swallow my 700x25 tire, the guy on the line said that it's on the list of mill/repaves this year.

Zeffy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 01, 2016, 09:58:15 PM
I just call it what most local roadgeeks call it-- The most pothole-ridden county road in Mercer County. Though hopefully not as much come this summer, when I called the county a few weeks ago to read off a laundry list of holes that could swallow my 700x25 tire, the guy on the line said that it's on the list of mill/repaves this year.

The driveway to the office I work at is known as the "minefield" because one literally has to zig and zag to avoid all the potholes.

However, Mercer County - compared to my county of Somerset - seems to do a poorer job on the county roads overall. I noticed that they barely plowed when the large snowstorm hit New Jersey a month or two back, but Somerset roads in comparison were much more passable. CR 518, the road I take in my work commute, was a shitshow once it got into Hopewell Borough.

Quote from: akotchi on March 01, 2016, 09:12:58 PM
According to Google, Hopewell-Princeton Rd. is the same as Carter Rd.  The name seems to change at the signal at Cherry Hill Rd./Pennington-Rocky Hill Rd.  Great Road meets U.S. 206 still north of the closure.

Oh. I wasn't aware that Carter Road became a different road past a certain point.

Unrelated, but they also installed street signs on the traffic signals for this intersection:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.2976505,-74.8112665,3a,53.6y,359.5h,89.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7HMYlltwCabl7u20bAqX-A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

FWIW, the road's name is American Blvd. I always wondered why it wasn't signed... I thought it had something to do with Capital Health.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

It looks like a more local detour would use Lovers Lane between 206 and 583. I had an opportunity to be down in Trenton today, but chose to avoid the whole scene on 31.

Mts83

The detour has been pretty crazy... especially routing people down 518 to 569. As was mentioned above, 569 (Carter/Pton-Hopewell) is an absolute mess when it comes to potholes. There's a monster one traveling northbound just above Mt Rose, and another further south toward the ETS complex. Its so bad, my preferred route has now been Great->518, instead of Rosedale to 569, which is faster and more direct coming from Princeton. The road had issues before the added traffic, now its only worse.

Closer to town, 206 is blocked off at Lovers Ln with a barrier and police presence. From there drivers are turning left onto Lovers, then right onto Mercer/583 to head south. Because of this Lovers Ln has turned into gridlock near rush hour.

Mts83

Quote from: Zeffy on March 01, 2016, 10:30:16 PM

However, Mercer County - compared to my county of Somerset - seems to do a poorer job on the county roads overall. I noticed that they barely plowed when the large snowstorm hit New Jersey a month or two back, but Somerset roads in comparison were much more passable. CR 518, the road I take in my work commute, was a shitshow once it got into Hopewell Borough.

I've noticed that as well, driving up Wertsville out of Hopewell onto Rileyville (CR-607) is like night and day as soon as you cross the county line. Snow removal and road condition in general.

NJRoadfan

Well they could just take I-95 as a detour..... oh wait.  :sombrero:

jeffandnicole

The end of an era?

Take a close look in the pic below. You'll seeing laying on the ground the large flashing arrow that greeted motorists just before they make the sharp left on I-295 South as they entered the infamous Aljo curve.  High winds during a recent thunderstorm appears to have been too much for the wooden posts, blowing it over. Construction in the area would've required its removal within the next few years anyway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.