News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 24, 2016, 01:17:53 PM
I originally mentioned this public meeting on the Garden State Parkway thread, but I'll move it to the more appropriate thread here now...

I stopped in yesterday at a public meeting in Mt. Laurel, NJ for a project on NJ 73.  The primary objective is to improve the intersection of 73 & Church road by grade-separating Church over 73, but the project has expanded to upgrade nearly 1.75 miles of 73 as well.  Church has an unusual configuration with 73, as the current intersection doesn't allow for straight-thru traffic but requires motorists to remain on 73 for a very short distance.

A few highlights:

> Church Road will fly over Rt. 73, eliminating a busy intersection and source of congestion for several hours of the day. 

> There will be no immediate connection to 73 at Church Rd.  Instead, connections will be made via RIRO turns near Church, and via a newly created 4 way signalized intersection about 1/2 mile south of the current intersection (it's currently a signalized T intersection with Atrium Way).

> Rt. 73 will be widened to no fewer than 3 lanes from 295 to near Church Street, with 73 North gaining a 3rd lane south of Church, and 73 South losing a 3rd lane just north of Church. 

> Rt. 73 will gain a 4th lane in each direction between 295 & the NJ Turnpike.

> The 73 overpass over 295 will be slightly widened.  The entire bridge deck will be replaced. 

> The Fellowship Rd. jughandle from 73 South will be reconfigured and extended to Century Parkway, which will allow traffic to circulate back to Fellowship Rd.  The current jughandle is an unusual 2 lane jughandle, with both lanes meeting into Fellowship Road's right lane.  It works only because every sensible road rule is ignored with this configuration.

> The maps showed a little road work on 295 itself at the interchange, although I'm not sure what that may involve.  Maybe slightly lowering 295's profile to increase clearance under the 73 overpass.

> Dual left-turn lanes from Fellowship onto 73.  In the case of Fellowship south of 73, the map is showing an usual 6 lane design features a 5 vs 1 lane split...1 Southbound lane vs. 5 Northbound lanes (2 left turn lanes, 2 straight, 1 right).  The current width is 5 lanes total.  One of our prominent, featured members on this board had mentioned in the past that his firm has looked at this intersection.  NJDOT staff who worked on this project mentioned that re-working this intersection was greatly looked at too, and unfortunately due to all the nearby businesses, there were serious issues with trying to grade-separate this intersection.  Even putting a jughandle in from 73 North to Fellowship was impractical without taking away some businesses, and the volume of traffic they feel doesn't necessitate such.

From my perspective, this is a pretty good, thorough project.  It succeeds in widening 73 at a very major junction of 2 interstate highways, and eliminating the bottleneck that can jam up 73 for quite a distance.   While some residential property owners would be affected with the new roadway from Church to 73, best I can tell is no one will lose a house.  Some business owners will be affected with reconfigured driveways, and those right next to the overpass may have to contend with a wall to support the new overpass.

Construction, they estimated, is about 5 years away, which IMO is pretty optimistic.

My big concern is signage, especially between 295 & the Turnpike.  I talked with the project manager who kinda ho-humed that any improvements were needed, but he did say it's in the Concept Development Stage and signage is looked at later.  A few other people I spoke with were very familiar with what I was talking about though, and absolutely agreed that they are pushing for changes to the signage.
I might be somewhat referenced in the above. It sounds like they have taken the design we were considering and done something similar - I don't think, but I have no way to know, that they used our earlier plans. The jughandle to Century, widening Route 73, and widening Fellowship to a 5/1 with dual left turns are all things we looked at. (Actually, we were thinking a 4/2 was better - 2 lefts, 2 thrus, and a shared right turn NB. But that was dependent on an old project, so projected volumes may have changed.)

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 24, 2016, 05:33:06 PM
Are the button copy signs on I-280 WB by the NJ Turnpike and the button copy signs on the ramp from the GSP to I-280 still around?
Signs on the GSP ramp are all replaced. I think the signs in both directions of 280 remain at the Turnpike interchange.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on March 24, 2016, 07:31:00 PM
I might be somewhat referenced in the above.

Wink. Wink.

jeffandnicole

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2016/03/love_locked_down_on_nj_scenic_overlook_bridge.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Want to express your love?  Stop at the not-so-scenic overpass on 295 in Bordentown and stick a lock on the fence.   

Cheaper than roses, I guess...

jeffandnicole

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 29, 2016, 10:20:14 AM
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2016/03/love_locked_down_on_nj_scenic_overlook_bridge.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Want to express your love?  Stop at the not-so-scenic overpass on 295 in Bordentown and stick a lock on the fence.   

In Boston, the Mass Ave. overpass along the Mass Pike (I-90) that has a bunch of padlocks attached to it (the overpass fence, that is).  Personally, having such along that stretch of I-295 is a bit tacky.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 01, 2016, 08:52:47 AM

In Boston, the Mass Ave. overpass along the Mass Pike (I-90) that has a bunch of padlocks attached to it.  Personally, having such along that stretch of I-295 is a bit tacky.

Seems appropriate for New Jersey, which is the Land of Tacky.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on April 01, 2016, 11:08:23 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 01, 2016, 08:52:47 AM

In Boston, the Mass Ave. overpass along the Mass Pike (I-90) that has a bunch of padlocks attached to it.  Personally, having such along that stretch of I-295 is a bit tacky.

Seems appropriate for New Jersey, which is the Land of Tacky.

Spackle, whose parent company is based in Bayonne, agrees.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on March 07, 2016, 03:16:13 PM
Is there a picture showing the sign flashing?

Also, US 206 has been reopened, albeit to vehicles under 20 tons. Vehicles over that limit are still restricted to the detour route.
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2016/03/njs_oldest_bridge_reopens_on_route_206_in_princeto.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Here you go. It was a little bright out but you can see the arrow flash. Note the far right light is out.
https://youtu.be/NpV1F85tQLY

Alps

Quote from: Alps on March 22, 2016, 07:01:14 PM
Critical ramp is closing: http://patch.com/new-jersey/parsippany/5-month-rt-80-ramp-closure-begin-next-week-0
This affects a LOT of people. People use that ramp at all hours. There's no good way around it. Getting to I-280 Exit 1 is inconvenient and sticks you in the long line there. Using Beverwyck Rd. gets very congested. This is going to have broad regional effects.
I was one of the last ones on the ramp tonight. They had the decel lane blocked off and a guy up in a bucket truck patching over the sign. Looked like the upward/left arrow was already removed. Not sure what will go on the sign. But the ramp was not quite closed yet. By morning it sure will be

cl94

Quote from: Alps on April 01, 2016, 11:21:16 PM
Critical ramp is closing: http://patch.com/new-jersey/parsippany/5-month-rt-80-ramp-closure-begin-next-week-0
This affects a LOT of people. People use that ramp at all hours. There's no good way around it. Getting to I-280 Exit 1 is inconvenient and sticks you in the long line there. Using Beverwyck Rd. gets very congested. This is going to have broad regional effects.
I was one of the last ones on the ramp tonight. They had the decel lane blocked off and a guy up in a bucket truck patching over the sign. Looked like the upward/left arrow was already removed. Not sure what will go on the sign. But the ramp was not quite closed yet. By morning it sure will be

Is there a posted detour route?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on April 02, 2016, 03:51:07 PM

Recommended detour is 46 to 202 to 287 south. Left turn at Beverwyck or jughandle at New Rd. can't handle it.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2016, 03:49:58 PM

Recommended detour is 46 to 202 to 287 south. Left turn at Beverwyck or jughandle at New Rd. can't handle it.

Was the right lane at 202 converted into a turn lane to handle the extra traffic?

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on April 03, 2016, 03:57:23 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2016, 03:49:58 PM

Was the right lane at 202 converted into a turn lane to handle the extra traffic?
There has always been a turn lane there.

J Route Z

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/04/a_70mph_speed_limit_in_nj_not_so_fast_state_says.html#incart_river_index Of course it'll never happen. NJ is stubborn as ever.

I think NJ should raise certain parts of major highways to 70, such as areas of I-80 and I-78.

bzakharin

The problem with the 85th percentile is that it doesn't account for drivers who actually obey the speed limits whatever they might be, or drive X MPH faster than the posted limit. Have the 85th percentile speeds really stayed the same in states that did raise the speed limits?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on April 07, 2016, 11:52:10 AM
The problem with the 85th percentile is that it doesn't account for drivers who actually obey the speed limits whatever they might be, or drive X MPH faster than the posted limit.

In reality, the 85th percentile has nothing to do with the speed limit.  It is simply the speed at which 85% of the drivers are driving at or under.  NJDOT does track this via their traffic monitoring system, and it publically available on their website here (latest is for 2014): http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/roadway/pdf/wim/14_Classdata_spd.pdf . The 85th % heading is a little cut off, but you can see the first set of columns are Average, Median & 85th % Speeds.  If you scroll down to page 36 of the PDF (Route 49, mistakenly labeled US 49), you will see the 85th percentile speed is actually just below the 55 mph speed limit for many months, which actually makes the speed limit appropriate.  On the other hand, page 83 for I-295 at MP 15.2 shows the 85th % approaching and over 80 mph in a few cases.

QuoteHave the 85th percentile speeds really stayed the same in states that did raise the speed limits?

In some cases, Yes.  Especially when speed limits were increased from 75 to 80 mph.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 07, 2016, 12:08:21 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on April 07, 2016, 11:52:10 AM
The problem with the 85th percentile is that it doesn't account for drivers who actually obey the speed limits whatever they might be, or drive X MPH faster than the posted limit.

In reality, the 85th percentile has nothing to do with the speed limit.  It is simply the speed at which 85% of the drivers are driving at or under.  NJDOT does track this via their traffic monitoring system, and it publically available on their website here (latest is for 2014): http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/roadway/pdf/wim/14_Classdata_spd.pdf . The 85th % heading is a little cut off, but you can see the first set of columns are Average, Median & 85th % Speeds.  If you scroll down to page 36 of the PDF (Route 49, mistakenly labeled US 49), you will see the 85th percentile speed is actually just below the 55 mph speed limit for many months, which actually makes the speed limit appropriate.  On the other hand, page 83 for I-295 at MP 15.2 shows the 85th % approaching and over 80 mph in a few cases.
I understand that, but the rationale for using the 85th percentile as the target for a speed limit change is that that is really the speed people are going and it will remain the speed after the speed limit is raised, when, in fact, it is more likely to go up (possibly unless it's already below the current speed limit)
QuoteHave the 85th percentile speeds really stayed the same in states that did raise the speed limits?

In some cases, Yes.  Especially when speed limits were increased from 75 to 80 mph.
In other words, in most cases they didn't which undermines the point in using this measurement.

vdeane

You must believe the people who claims that if the speed limit is raise, everyone will just drive faster by that amount.  Actual research has proven this false; people drive the speed they're comfortable with unless a cop is nearby.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bzakharin

Quote from: vdeane on April 07, 2016, 12:22:03 PM
You must believe the people who claims that if the speed limit is raise, everyone will just drive faster by that amount.  Actual research has proven this false; people drive the speed they're comfortable with unless a cop is nearby.
That is exactly what I'm trying to ask. I am willing to bet that it's a combination of both, but if the 85th percentile goes up when the speed limit is raised it gives credence to the view that at least *some* people will just drive X MPH above the posted speed limit

cl94

Quote from: bzakharin on April 07, 2016, 12:31:32 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 07, 2016, 12:22:03 PM
That is exactly what I'm trying to ask. I am willing to bet that it's a combination of both, but if the 85th percentile goes up when the speed limit is raised it gives credence to the view that at least *some* people will just drive X MPH above the posted speed limit

The 85th percentile speed doesn't change much. The 50th percentile speed does. The goal is to keep the 50th percentile (median) speed as close to the 85th percentile speed as possible, as well as to minimize the range of speeds traveled. Large variations in speed are more dangerous than high speeds.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: cl94 on April 07, 2016, 02:00:45 PM
The 85th percentile speed doesn't change much. The 50th percentile speed does. The goal is to keep the 50th percentile (median) speed as close to the 85th percentile speed as possible, as well as to minimize the range of speeds traveled. Large variations in speed are more dangerous than high speeds.

As Jeremy Clarkson would put it:

Zeffy

Those wanting more roadway / transportation improvements in the Garden State might have to wait a bit longer, because essentially, the Highway Fund is broke. At least we can pay off our debt...
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/04/nj_will_run_out_of_money_for_road_rail_projects_this_summer.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Mr. Matté

Has jurisdiction of Hoes Lane in Piscataway been officially turned over to the state? Based on this press release, it sounds like it's now officially part of Yellow Brick Road* Route 18.

*Very obscure and very-in-joke to me related to my time at Rutgers

bzakharin

I had to read all the way to the end to figure out that the "I-287 extension project" mentioned in the title and the body of the release is actually the route 18 extension project *to* 287. I kept wondering how I-287 could be extended (except onto NJ 440 which is nowhere near NJ 18)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.