News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2014 NYC National Road Meet (June 28-29, 2014)

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

QuoteIf you want 28 meetgoers to show up unexpectedly and bringing almost nothing, provide directions.

Doug's been here...

oscar

Quote from: Alps on June 26, 2014, 07:00:18 AM
There's a McDonalds at 21st St./31st Dr. in Brooklyn that would come after the Roosevelt Island stop. That's about all I can find.

I took a look at the satellite imagery.  It's in the Astoria neighborhood.  Larger restaurant with some off-street parking.  So that's a good start.  Maybe use McDonald's restaurant locator (or websites for other fast-food chains) to spot at least one more near a later leg of the itinerary?  For example, maybe the Wendy's just south of the Cross-Bronx at 4040 3rd St., which also has off-street parking.  Or local residents can chime in with other suggestions.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Definitely going to miss the meet, sorry to disappoint. Your itinerary looks great Steve, which makes missing it that much more of a let down.

Dr Frankenstein

I do have a last minute question... seeing that we will do the Pulaski Skyway during the meet, is it advisable or not that I take 1-9T SB on a Friday evening? Actually, that question holds for either variant of 1-9...

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 26, 2014, 04:42:01 PM
I do have a last minute question... seeing that we will do the Pulaski Skyway during the meet, is it advisable or not that I take 1-9T SB on a Friday evening? Actually, that question holds for either variant of 1-9...
You may want to take I-78 and enjoy the Newark Bay Bridge. But because the Skyway is open southbound, I don't expect you to run into too much trouble whichever way you go.

PHLBOS

Unfortunately, I will NOT be able to attend this meet at all.  For those who are attending, enjoy.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

I hope you folks take the opportunity to tune in WFMU 91.1 FM, the most interesting damn station there is.  Always a fantastic soundtrack for puttering around the metro area.

Roadgeek Adam

From my group photos:

Day 1 (taken in front of the Hell Gate Bridge in Astoria Park, Astoria, Queens):

Top row: AJ Bertin (MI), Steve Alpert (NJ - host), Robert Malme (MA), Doug Kerr (NY), Mike Tantillo (DC)
Second row: Oscar Voss (VA), Jason Ilyes (TN), Rob Sargent (NJ/WV), Cody Goodman (AL), Adam Winkler (NJ), Scott Onson (WI), Anthony Costanzo (NY), Carl Tessier (QC), Mike Pruett (MD), Connor Lauzon (MA), Laura Bianca-Pruett (MD), C. Patrick Zillacus (MD), David Golub (NY).
Front row: Adam Moss (me, NJ), Ian Ligget (PA/ME), David Corcoran (MT).
Not photographed, but attended some part of the meet: Mark Sinsabaugh (NY), Valerie Deane (NY), CC Slater (and girlfriend) (NY), Chris Mason (NJ), Brian LeBlanc (NC).

Day 2 (taken in front of the Bayonne Bridge from Elizabeth, New Jersey):

Standing: Oscar Voss, C. Patrick Zillacus, Anthony Costanzo, Adam Winkler, Mike Tantillo, Robert Malme, Carl Tessier, Steve Alpert, Connor Lauzon, Ian Ligget, Mike Pruett, Michael Temme-Soifer (NJ), Scott Onson, Keith Thomas (NJ), Leigh Koven (PA), David Golub, CC's girlfriend, Dan Murphy (NY).
Kneeling: Rob Sargent, Laura Bianca-Pruett, David Corcoran, CC Slater, Adam Moss.
Not photographed, but attended the meet: Doug Kerr.

There is a more hilarious version of this photo taken by Steve and Scott that hopefully will get posted in the near future.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

SSOWorld

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 30, 2014, 10:40:51 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 30, 2014, 10:26:54 PM
No Send Help signs?

None, but at least three were on property.
in our cars or at our hotel rooms.

As for my updates - aside from a picture sent to Facebook I will not have mine available until I return home - which will be 7/2.  Even then I won't do anything until 7/3 due to being dead tired.  I've personally accomplished a lot both in and out of the car on my efforts surrounding this meet and have many photos to show for it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

I'll probably post some additional group photos later in the week.  Mine should be similar to the ones Adam has posted, though hopefully one of mine won't have me partially blocking the view of the Bayonne Bridge.  I limped home earlier this morning (literally, leg cramps I got at the beach on my way home from the meet), and it'll take me a few days to catch up. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

I saw Doug had stopped at Walkway over the Hudson on his way back home. I had horrible leg cramps walking back to the vehicles after we walked across the bridge during the meet, so I can relate to Oscar's situation.

In a good bit of proofreading, I had originally typed "craps" instead of "cramps" and I'm glad I caught it.

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on July 01, 2014, 11:24:27 AMIn a good bit of proofreading, I had originally typed "craps" instead of "cramps" and I'm glad I caught it.
That one letter can make all the difference.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: oscar on July 01, 2014, 09:07:40 AM
I'll probably post some additional group photos later in the week.  Mine should be similar to the ones Adam has posted, though hopefully one of mine won't have me partially blocking the view of the Bayonne Bridge.  I limped home earlier this morning (literally, leg cramps I got at the beach on my way home from the meet), and it'll take me a few days to catch up. 

Yours should have less distortion than mine. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that.
Adam Seth Moss

SSOWorld

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 01, 2014, 12:14:41 PM
Quote from: oscar on July 01, 2014, 09:07:40 AM

Yours should have less distortion than mine. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that.
Move Oscar to the other side of the photo?

Oh wait... that would leave a spot  ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

corco

Made it home at about 0130 this morning. I'm totally exhausted today but it was totally worth it. Great sights, great people, and very well organized. Thanks Alps and everybody for a great time.

Personally, I want to get back to check out the other boroughs and more of New Jersey.

A.J. Bertin

I attended the Friday night dinner as well as Day 1 of the meet. Wow... I was impressed. Steve did a great job of organizing the meet and making sure everyone had all the information they needed. I liked how Steve made sure everyone was organized in vehicles according to whether or not they were going to the ballgame. It was also very smart to not have the cars following each other but instead meet up at each stop. We kept moving throughout the tour and Steve kept us on a pretty realistic time schedule.

I was navigating in Oscar's car and found the detailed written directions to be very clear for the most part. I definitely had to pay close attention to the directions, but it all worked out well. (Even though he didn't have any maps in the directions, it worked okay for me because I was using my atlas to get an idea of the bigger picture of where we were and where we were headed.) I also love how we had no traffic problems at all! I got lots of great photos from the front passenger seat too. Plus the weather was PERFECT the entire time. :D

Great job, Steve! It was good to see everyone. This meet will go down in my personal history as one of the best meets I've ever attended.
-A.J. from Michigan

dgolub

Thanks to everyone for a great meet, and to Steve for organizing.  Photos to come on GNYR.

Alps

Thanks AJ and everyone for the reviews, kind words, attendance, driving... Meets are made by the people who come!
Official meet photos:
Day 1
Day 2
Official meat photos:
Alive
Fried

bandit957

Just as long as there were bunker blasts.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Alps

Quote from: bandit957 on July 01, 2014, 10:10:10 PM
Just as long as there were bunker blasts.
Did you see that bacon? Of course there were.

Ian

Also would like to say how awesome Steve did with this meet. I had a blast! Here is my Flickr album of day 1 of the meet, with day 2 captions currently in the works. Hopefully will be uploaded in the next few days.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iccdude/sets/72157645058860298/

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dr Frankenstein

Got home at 0130 this morning. I did a long, winding and very scenic drive along NY 30 (which I recommend) which followed a stop at the site of Woodstock 1969 on Monday, all ending near Ottawa where I stayed for Canada Day festivities.

Now I'm at work, exhausted.

Steve did a great job organizing this, and the meet was fun and the weather was perfect. My photos didn't turn out quite as good as I wanted them to be, but they're not that bad. I probably won't post them before next week, as I'm focusing on finishing my boxes for the move next weekend.

It was great to see everyone, and I'm looking forward to the next meet!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.