AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Massachusetts  (Read 217542 times)

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: December 13, 2019, 03:27:32 PM
Re: Massachusetts
« Reply #1300 on: October 26, 2019, 02:55:49 PM »

Were there ever any fanciful plans to expand Route 16 west of I 93? The 1960 overpasses over Main St. (Mass. 38) and 93 are really overbuilt, even with evening backups, and the one over Main St has pavement actually closed off by guardrail.

Could that freeway stub would had been part of the cancelled Inner beltway? http://www.bostonroads.com/roads/inner-belt/

No, the Inner Beltway would have ended here where the ramps to Storrow Drive now tie in.

I know, thatís something else entirely.
Interesting.  The only other thing I can think of is that its striped for channelizing down to one lane.  MassDOT also does this on I-91 NB prior to the US 5 multiplex, going from three lanes to two by striping out the right lane.

Another thought:  just looking around on Maps, perhaps there was a plan to make the Alewife Brook Pkwy limited-access, or an extension of MA 2 to I-93.  There is a sizable strip of land to the left of the Alewife, maybe that was ROW set aside for another carriageway.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: December 13, 2019, 04:24:57 PM
« Reply #1301 on: October 28, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »

Another thought:  just looking around on Maps, perhaps there was a plan to make the Alewife Brook Pkwy limited-access, or an extension of MA 2 to I-93.  There is a sizable strip of land to the left of the Alewife, maybe that was ROW set aside for another carriageway.
What you're describing is the cancelled Route 2 Connector, east of the Alewife Station.  Such would've gone roughly a few miles to the cancelled I-695/Inner Belt which would've connected to I-93.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

5foot14

• Last Login: December 13, 2019, 03:47:32 PM
« Reply #1302 on: October 30, 2019, 01:48:14 PM »

What you're describing is the cancelled Route 2 Connector, east of the Alewife Station.  Such would've gone roughly a few miles to the cancelled I-695/Inner Belt which would've connected to I-93.
So I came across this website...
https://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2007/07/unbuilt-highways/
It's essentially some guy who mapped out (using Google Maps) unbuilt highways in various cities, Boston being on of them. He based the map off of a website called Boston's Cancelled Highways, the link to that site is now unfortunately long dead (redirects to Aol). What's interesting is that the map shows a Mystic Valley Expressway, connecting route 2 to 93 along the existing parkway, and the article mentions it would have been an elevated route. That would seem to explain why the Main st overpass is overbuilt. However, lots of Google searching has turned up nothing about a Mystic Valley Expressway, and without his original source to check out, who knows if there was ever actually such a plan in mind? Anyone ever heard of such a thing or have any thoughts?

SM-G900P

vdeane

• Last Login: December 14, 2019, 11:13:10 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #1303 on: October 30, 2019, 09:46:36 PM »

I'm not sure how accurate those maps are, or at least Albany.  I'm pretty sure I-88 was supposed to follow what's now NY 7 between I-87 and Troy, for example.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

5foot14

« Reply #1304 on: October 31, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »

I'm not sure how accurate those maps are, or at least Albany.  I'm pretty sure I-88 was supposed to follow what's now NY 7 between I-87 and Troy, for example.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of other areas but Boston's seems to be fairly accurate, its got all the well known unbuilt highways. The precise routing isn't exact (some routes didn't even have detailed plans laid out, such as the Mid-Circumfrential Highway) but it gives a good idea of the corridor the highway would take.

The only think kinda murky with Boston is the alleged Mystic Valley Expressway...

SectorZ

• Last Login: December 13, 2019, 04:12:05 PM
« Reply #1305 on: October 31, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »

I can't vouch for the accuracy of other areas but Boston's seems to be fairly accurate, its got all the well known unbuilt highways. The precise routing isn't exact (some routes didn't even have detailed plans laid out, such as the Mid-Circumfrential Highway) but it gives a good idea of the corridor the highway would take.

The only think kinda murky with Boston is the alleged Mystic Valley Expressway...

The 213 routing is a little off, too. He has it as an extension of the Lowell Connector. Likelier, it was supposed to start of US 3 near exit 32 in Chelmsford and cross the Merrimack west of the Rourke Bridge.

5foot14

« Reply #1306 on: October 31, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »

The 213 routing is a little off, too. He has it as an extension of the Lowell Connector. Likelier, it was supposed to start of US 3 near exit 32 in Chelmsford and cross the Merrimack west of the Rourke Bridge.

Actually both may have been correct at one point or another...
http://www.bostonroads.com/history/1968-map_outside-128/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.